09/13 Billo AMPS 151 +3 171, +9 160

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Abdullah, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

I'm really liking the numbers today, in comparison to yesterday. Billo has been doing well so far, she is eating normally and going about her day as per usual.

Billo has been a little difficult today with allowing me to test her BG. Is it possible for me to space out her tests today? It is evident that her ears have become sensitive because of how many tests have been done over the last couple days. I've been applying topical ointments like vaseline, but I really want to give her some time to heal. Let me know what you think!

Thank you

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Have you tried using Polysporin ointment on her ears? I use the "heal-fast" one (green box/tube) sometimes. I alternate which ear I poke every other day, and then put the ointment on the ear I'm not using. I find with a full 24 hours with the ointment on it, it is much better.
    WHen you say spacing out the tests, I usually decide how much I need to test based on the numbers.

My thoughts: Given that Billo was in a bounce yesterday AM cycle, that would've been a great one to space out your tests. Use days when she is high to spread out the testing more and do a little less testing.
    You want to gather test data at different hours throughout the cycle, so that it looks like a mosiac. But not all in one day. You wanna be prepared to test more when she is lower or looks like she might have an active cycle. A +2.5 or +3 that is lower than the preshot number is usually a good indication of an active cycle. If it is higher or the same, usually the cycle won't be as active and you could test less. You have been testing quite a lot in the AM cycles, but very little in the PM cycles.
    For PM cycles, a good rule of thumb is again, +2.5/+3, and then a before bed test. Then you'll know from those tests if you need to set an alarm to check in the middle of the night or not.

Abdullah likes this.
  3. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I haven't tried Polysporin yet, but I will now! I'll get the heal fast one and apply it for her. I have been alternating her ears as well but I had a feeling today that she was feeling sensitive and that the vaseline was not healing her as fast as I was hoping for it to.

I'll make sure to do that. Now that I know about this tip, I will be collecting more data in the PM cycle, if necessary.

Thank you so much! :)

4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Think of it like this: you give insulin to Billo twice a day, 12 hours apart. The insulin impacts her just as much during the nighttime as it does during the daytime. Some kitties will actually go even lower at night than during the day. So it's just as important to get tests for the nighttime cycle. But spread them out when her numbers say you can. And when there is an opportunity for a poke break, take it. :)

That polysporin comes in an ointment (green box) and a cream (blue box). Be sure to get the ointment (green box). I hope her little ears feel better soon.

Abdullah likes this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

This one:

polysporin_complete_antibiotic_ointment.jpg

Abdullah likes this.
  6. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

I understand better now, thank you for the insight!

Perfect, thank you! I'll buy some :)