-1/08 insulin resistance, serious underlying condition

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Pabs&Ro, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

Hello, I wonder if any one could help please. We are still battling to get Pabay under better control. He has had a bad summer (lots in injuries and prozinc not available). We were doing well in the autumn but he is not great at the moment. We have had some good shaped curves (Dec) but the nadir has been too high. Lately he is all over the place. I am trying again to get the vet to change him to glargine but I know that the issue of insulin resistance will be raised again by the vet. Pabay is bright and showing no signs of infection and he is not on any painkillers at the moment. If a cat develops insulin resistance because of a serious underlying condition would he get a BG curve like the one on 13th December? If Pabay is on too much insulin but not bouncing we get readings of high 20s mmol. If he is bouncing we get readings of over 30 mmol as a pre-shot (alphatrak). If Pabay is not getting enough insulin he flat lines in the high teens/low 20s and has a late afternoon nadir. If there is insulin resistance does it mean the BG is constantly high (high 20s) therefore the curve of 13th December means he may not have insulin resistance? Thanks for any insight.