1/10 Blackie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ele & Blackie (GA), Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Well as soon as I said "As the BG Rises", Blackie decided to make a liar out of me. He surprised us last night with a 123 at ps. We went ahead and shot 2.8 because history has told us that he will zoom if we wait too long or decrease too much. At +7 last night he was at 55! I made sure he ate and had food available, but I just couldn't stay up. So this morning he was at 105! We went back to bed (that was at 6am) and got up an hour later and he was at 140, so I gave 2.6. When I checked at +3 he was already at 168, so I guess I'll be doing more pokes today. Blackie seems to feel really good, staying mostly upstairs and occassionally going outside for 2 minutes (it's even too cold for him). So, WTF? He was at 2.4 less than a week ago, went up to 3 units and now back down. What would cause that?? He's eating the same food, no stresses, etc.

I hope everyone has a nice, relaxing Sunday.

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I'd attribute the 168 to both the +13 and the reduced dose. Generally, I try not to change both timing and dosage at the same time. In other words, at this morning's 140, I would have shot the full 2.8.

Vicky and Gandalf on Levemir are having the same problem. Lucy herself has gone from .8 units (summer) to 2.5 units this winter. You can drive yourself crazy asking "why" about a cat or diabetes, let alone both of those together. This is why so many of us used a sliding scale with PZI. Writing the scale down makes it less frustrating to see deal with.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Wow, Ele, what a night! That is so wonderful that his numbers were so good, but I know it is frustrating too. Terri makes an interesting point about changing both timing and dose, one that I had never thought of. So even though Blackie was so much lower than he has been, you still would have given the full dose, Terri? I know it's easy for me to talk about it now, as it's scarier in the moment, but I think that makes sense. You gave the 2.8 on a 123, and he got down to 55. Low for him, but that really is a great number. So then this morning he was at 140, and so I can see where giving him the 2.8 would have been logical. I would never have thought about it, though, and would have done what Ele did, I believe. I was just kind of thinking out loud there. ;)

I hope that he does great today. :D I can't imagine him even wanting to go outside at all, but Cassie still does too. We FROZE on our walk yesterday, brrrr. It's 9 degrees right now. Let us know how today unfolds on AtBGL!

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

I appreciate what you are saying Terri about only doing one thing at a time. I was thinking about Blackie's data and I thought the 2.8 was too much and even if I gave the shot an hour later, it could push him too low. As it turns out I don't know if did the right thing or not.
    +3 168
    +5 157
    +7 134

Blackie's really had late drops recently, so he could still go lower before his shot tonight. If his bg's are dropping rapidly, we may have to lower the dose again. I'll check before his preshot check so I'll at least know if he's going up. It would be a little easier if feline diabetes followed a pattern where you knew why the bgs go up or down. But it really is a dance and sometimes it doesn't have much rhythm. ;-)

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

55 at +7 sounds ideal, go Blackie!!! I can't recall if you've tested any civies with your meter and what they were? I tested Noora the other day (human meter) and got 54, so that was nice confirmation for me that 50s are a good zone on that meter.

Just curious if you have considered returning to your days of shooting on lower PSs, say under 150 but still above 100. Not advocating it, and I haven't studied his data enough to have any real insight, but it seemed like he stayed in steadier #s when you shot a little lower. Again, not advocating :) just curious if you have thought about whether or not that is an approach that works well for him.

And Sarah, 9 degrees, sounds like a warm front is moving in. haha_smiley

6. Sarah and Buzz

That +7 wasn't a bad number, either! How has today unfolded so far? Ohhhh, I should learn my lesson and see if you posted today before reading old posts. I usually read from the bottom up on "view your posts".

Oh, I see there's an OTJ tag too! And a rainbow. Neat! I hope Blackie is doing well today, Ele. And yep, Joanna, a warm front is indeed moving in. The high today is 30! WOOHOO!!

7. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Blackie was low again this morning and we delayed an hour before shooting. I forgot to log his numbers and I'm at work now, so I'll have to do that later. I think we shot 2.4 (down from 2.6) at about 146. At +4.5 he was at 216, so he must have really zoomed. DH will check again at +7 when he gets home.

I was lucky and caught him going into the litterbox this am. So I stuck his little saucer (it's only for this purpose) under his tail and caught some pee. I think it will come back negative, but you never know.

I'll check into your LL condo and see how you're doing.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

ROTFL!!! That is cracking me up that he has his own special pee saucer. It's like royalty - "oh no, don't pee where the commoners go, here let me get that for you". Probably more a indication of the ongoing problems he's had :sad: but still cracking me up!

Paws crossed for a negative! Nice that his #s are so good now. A pain for you on the dosing decisions and such, but still better to have to decide in that direction than on high #s, right?

Hope they are letting you take it a bit easy at work and not overtax your shoulder.

9. Sarah and Buzz

His own pee saucer cracks me up too! I like Joanna's vision of Blackie as royalty, and he probably does too. ;)

Nice that he got good duration, although I know that does mess with your dosing schedule. Maybe he is on his way back to "normal", although what IS normal? ;) None of us know, that's for sure. Although Bix has been pretty normal recently.

Paws crossed that the vet visit went well today (that was today, right?). Let us know how about it and any results and how your shoulder's doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.