1/10 - Sami's AMPS - 198

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Good morning all.

Sami's AMPS was 198. She has been in great spirits and seemed to be more hungry than usual this morning. I feed her a half a can of food (large) just after her AM shot, she ate it all, so I gave her another small can of food at +3. Since I stocked up on all the Low Carb canned foods I feel comfortable giving her food any time she asks.

I will probably test her at +6 and +9 during the day today just to see where she is. Based on her reaction to one unit last night I am concerned that she might go a little low on one unit, but I will wait and see.

I ordered some 1/2 unit mark syringes from HOCKs yesterday, but I probably won't have them at least until the end of the week. But I am hoping to find some locally to get me through until the ones from HOCKS get here. Yesterday I called my CVS and they don't carry them. I tried to call Wal-mart, but no one answered the phone at the pharmacy so I plan to stop by there today to check.

I am also planning on getting a second meter as a back up and to also confirm accuracy of the meter that I have. Last week I tested Sami 3 times in 3 minutes and got three different readings (347/317/377). The average is 347 which is what I got first, but it makes me wonder why it would be so different. Has anyone else seen anything like this with their meter?

I am very happy with Sami's results so far. I hope it continues.

Thanks to everyone for all your help so far.

1/9/10 Condo

2. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning! :coffee: Just thought I'd stop in and say Hello!

Nice blues in there for Sami - looking good! I have found Hocks to be very reliable, and very fast.

I love a cat with a good appetite. I can relate to the hungry part - Mannie never leaves a morsel: clean plate club. As I work, I went with a timed auto feeder so that he has the food he needs mid-day - works great!

Good luck to Sami!

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hey Tina, I dont think I have posted to you, but see that you are making Great progress here :D
    Starting out with a nice blue number, I hope you see some nice blue maybe green numbers today!
    I have several meters & lots of syringes--You will need the 1/2unit marking needles--They just make our lives so much easier!
    Hope you have a great Sunday--Will be watching you guys :mrgreen:

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Let me suggest you get a spot check in before +6, if it's not already too late. You can't always rely on the low point of the cycle being at +6. (Take a look at Esse's condo from last night -- Esse was getting low numbers by +3.) Many of us make a habit of getting a test in by +2 or +3 so we have an idea of how the cycle is going to go.

As for meters, there is a degree of error that is inherent in pretty much any measuring device. It's why you don't get the exact number each time you test. It will be the same between meters. There's up to about 20% variance between meters and/or tests. Likewise, some meters are better than others. The pharmacy brands (Walgreens and CVS) tend to not be as accurate as other brands and have gotten poorer ratings by Consumer Reports.

When you have a chance, could you complete a profile for Sami? The template and instructions for how to complete this are in the Tech Forum. This will help us to not keep asking you the same questions about health, food, diagnosis date, etc.

5. Tina & Sammy

Sami's history has shown that typically she is lowest at +12, just before her next dose, but I still try to check at +6 and +9 just to make sure she doesn't go too low. Since I will be working tomorrow I will probably check her at +3, but then won't be able to test again until her next shot. However, if I see that she is dropping quickly after her morning shot, I do have a option of carting her to work with me. My boss has been an angel through all of this and I have been able to bring Sami to the office with me. It mostly helps with my stress because I don't have to worry that she is at home all alone and possibly having diabetic shock. She has been to the office a number of times and she does quite well there, although it is possible that she might have a slight elevation in BG due to a little stress although she seems to like it there and enjoys roaming/exploring the office when there isn't anyone around.

I will try to get a profile together tonight.

Thanks for the help.

6. Tina & Sammy

Re: 1/10 - Sami's AMPS - 198 - HELP - see last post 5:09 PM

I just tested Sami's PMPS. I picked up a second meter today and decided to test with both meters to see the accuracy.

Here is my delima. One meter gave a reading of 206 (True Results - CVS) and the other 363 (ReliOn - Walmart). I tested myself on both and got 88 and 101 respectfully. then I tested myself again on both meters and got a slightly different number the second (didn't write those down.

Then I tested Sami again on both meters and got 228 and 394 respectfully.

So which meter do I believe? I have been using the True Test meter all along, so my gut is telling me to believe that one or rely on that since I have past data. But now I don't know if she has a higher GB then I thought. I don't have a calibration test for the new meter, but since I got general the same reading on both when testing myself I would think it was okay.

What should I do? I will still give Sami her regular dose, but should I do for the future?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 - Sami's AMPS - 198 - HELP - see last post

What u do in the future, is stick with one meter, as everyone always says, u will drive urself crazy! Crazy!
    Hang on for more feedback.

8. Tina & Sammy

I am sure it would drive me crazy. So I just order the One Touch Ultra Mini and test strips. It is the highest rated and as the best accuracy according to Consumers Report. So hopefully once I get the meter I can be sure that I am getting accurate readings. For now I guess I will just continue using the True Results meter that I have been using since November. It is just to bad because I just purchase the other meter and strips, so that money was wasted, but I would rather have accurate readings and not wonder which numbers to believe.

9. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Not a bad thing or idea to have an extra meter/strips as backup, many of us do, just stay consistent and stick to one meter and you'll be fine!

EDIT to add: if ur comfy now, would u be able to remove ur HELP request? But do always use it when u need it and that's ok :)

10. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 - Sami's AMPS - 198 -Homework

I second Ronnie, pick one of the meters and stick to it. good idea to keep the other one as a back up for emergency.

Ok... I was a touch rude... sorry.

Hi and welcome to lantus land!
    I've never visited this condo before. Nice to see that you are home testing and posting! Lots of help on this board.

Couple of things... yeah... homework already (sigh)

Make sure you add yesterday's post link to today's post - that way we can easisy follow what's been going on with Sami.

I'm sure someone has said that already... but here I go again... lantus and vetsulin are different insulins and you may find yourself struggling to 're-program' your brain to lantusland.... no worries, but I'm warning you in advance (so you don't get mad).

Make sure to read the stickies at the top of the page - also sure you've been told already.

Get yourself a hypo kit: several cans of HC (18% carbs) food - fancy feast of the grilled variety are good choices, but you may find something else suitable in wet food types in the Janet and Binky's list.

Post everyday and you'll get help... no worries!
    Again, welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.