1/11 Luci AMPS 98 - Question re: DKA in 3 days???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Luci is scheduled to go in for I-131 treatment this morning - in about 4 hours - so if anyone has had any experience please speak up.

The nurse at RadioCat contacted me late yesterday via email and said that 'her doctor' is concerned that withholding insulin for the three days while Luci is hospitalized could lead to ketoacidosis.

I am well aware of the dangers of DKA - however was under the impression that a fairly well regulated cat - well on some days she's closer to regulated than not...wasn't likely to go into ketoacidosis that quickly.

Have any of you with held insulin for 3 days for vacation, illness, etc. ??

I keep asking her if they would test her BG after administering insulin and the answer is 'she will be monitored, but not tested'...my last question to her is can they test for ketones? No response on that yet.

They're asking me if they could give insulin in the AM only - since they've already told me that there is no one there overnight to monitor aka test - or anything at all for that matter - I thought last week that we'd all agreed there would be no insulin given since I'm not comfortable with no tests after administration...

Thoughts anyone???

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Bandit's Mom

Is giving a vacation dose an option? Say 0.5u in the AM since they can't "monitor" at night. You had mentioned in an earlier post that you're worried about whether they can accurately measure the dose. Maybe give them syringes without the zero mark error?

On the flip side, some cats go low with GA/hospitalization, right?

What do they mean monitor but not test?

4. Sue and Luci

I've asked for clarification on that - and whether or not they can test for ketones.

If so, I can run over there with insulin...not that far away...

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know about DKA, but I think it is a combination of not eating + infection + no insulin. I hope you can get some clarification soon. Sending prayers everything goes well. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

If they will let you, why not measure the 0.5U or 0.25U and give it to them every cycle to shoot her? Too far off to do that?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Just here to bump up your post and wish you & Luci all the best over the next few days :bighug: Sending positive energy to all the techs and doctors and to your family :bighug:

Sue and Luci and Bandit's Mom like this.
  8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

DKA can happen even without an infection. Stress, procedures, lack of food.....all result in the release of stress hormones & when stress hormones are released, they antagonize the action of insulin in the body.

How quickly this happens in one cat vs the next is going to vary. One cat may be fine but another may develop issues more quickly.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I was thinking if your close enough can you bring vacation dose in each morning and skip the pm dose since no one is there overnight.

Are they going to at least check glucose once day?

If you bring it in, I would not take the whole pen. Just bring in the one syringe with it.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers that all goes well :bighug::bighug:

11. Sue and Luci

Update: Here's the latest development. We've worked out a compromise, based on your suggestions and negotiating with them;

I'm going to drop off .5 filled syringe to them in the mornings. They will NOT test prior to giving it to her and NO TESTS will be done for the remainder of the day.

They clarified that 'monitoring' means OBSERVATION only. So with that in mind, she'll be on a lower/vacation dose for the next three mornings.

And then look at her go today! Can you believe it? Why today? Of all days...:facepalm:

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It surprised me knowing a car is diabetic, they don't check glucose at all. I know they have to minimize the time spent with her since she will be "hot" but really.........

What about even lower dose like 0.25. Just a thought.

Good luck and try to relax a little if possible.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  13. Sue and Luci

I know! I find that to be terribly irresponsible. But I guess they aren't focused on diabetes...only the I-131 treatment and the radioactivity.

I'll be counting the hours until she's back home...I've got to find something to do to get out of here...otherwise I'll just eat myself silly - I tend to be a stress eater (tend?? HA!) When DH was admitted to the hospital through the ER on Christmas Eve I just never felt full...ugh..and ate way too much..ugh...

They've told me that if she appears in distress or lethargic they will get her to an Emergency Vet - and I'll be charged for that...oh boy :(

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug: Keeping you & Luci in my thoughts today and the next 3 days. Praying for the absolute best results in her treatment, and for calmness (probably impossible) for you, Sue. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I hope the treatments and her time at the clinic go well :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  16. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers Sue:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Luci and for you. It’s amazing tome tgat they don’t have protocols for FD. I understand not wanting to be near them more than necessary but gosh this is nuts. I think you have reached a good compromise and she will be safe. :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: keeping you all in our heart and thoughts during this stressful time. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Prayers for a very smooth & uneventful process :bighug::bighug::bighug:!!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I assume, due to Covid, that you can't see her/check on her and test at that time? SMH.

And of course she is running all greens today - she is a cat after all :rolleyes::smuggrin:.

Please let us have an update when procedure is done. I would be hard pressed to leave a cat unattended overnight, but I know that you probably don't have much choice. If you all are following the CDC guidelines I just don't understand it, but then again, I don't understand a lot of what is going on right now.;)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending all sorts of good wishes for Luci. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I think the idea of 1/2 dose once a day will be better than none. Today she's just showing off. :rolleyes:

When Dyana's civie got 1-131 at Hypurrcat, they had video cameras on each cat that you can see remotely. I took a look too. :joyful:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  22. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well for Luci. Big hugs to you both! :bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  23. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  24. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

Hoping all goes well for Luci. Thinking of you both :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  25. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I hope today went well for Luci and I'm sending many vines for a successful treatment. :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.