1/12 Baby PMPS 292 +2 225 +6 187

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2114&p=20892#p20892
    Reading Jill's reply, I think it will be an excellent plan of care for me to lower Baby's dose to .25 so I feel comfortable shooting the full dose.
    Question, I know the .5 marking on the syringe - does twisting the cap on the syringe once bring us down to .4? I want to confirm.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS +24 295 *Dosing Question

See if u can view this pic, this is the best I could find

http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGradations/

"twisting the cap" u mean the plunger right? I think thats what u mean, so yes slowly twisting it will help. Have u been tryin with a practice syringe first?

EDIT : scroll down to where it says in the link:
    Half-unit fractions: 0.1 on tip, 0.4 in syringe

3. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Here is a picture of what the 0.25u should look like
    [​IMG]

I can't really answer about the twisting the cap down for a 0.4u because I've never used a dose labeled as that... the important thing is that you are consistent in what you call the 0.25u

ETA: good luck with the new dose!

4. Ronnie & Luna

yes! Thank u Heather - that's the dose pic I wanted...but figures, I take the long way to get them lol

5. Ronnie & Luna

Nicole,

How are u doing? How's Baby?

ur SS says u shot .5 is this correct?

you didn't go with the .25?

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Good luck Nicole and Baby. I am looking out for you all today. Good that you are home, purrfect!!!

7. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS +24 295

Thanks, everyone! I read Jill's post AFTER our AMPS Dose, so gave the .5, for our PM shot I will go with the .25, or is it better to to wait until tomorrow morning?
    I did not mean twisting the cap, so I am thankful you all knew what I meant... plunger ;-)
    I do appreciate the links & pic to show me!!
    I am excited to for Baby's new dose, because I am a nervous nellie & think that dose will allow me to feel safe.
    Things I am trying to remember from this point forward:
    Day 1 was an OD, I need to not compare that to what will happen again
    I am not shooting the Preshot #, but the 2-3 hour # as Lantus wears off
    I need to relax a little bit, if she gets a little low - she will eat
    Baby is in the best hands & the first week has been scary & frusturating but it will be OK o:)

8. Ronnie & Luna

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS +24 295

I was wondering what happened to u lol
    ok, this is fine - I'm glad ur doing good!

Couple of things, good idea when u start ur day, and go to find yesterdays condo to link, read thru it,
    as we get nightly visits from the Angels - the Night Angels :lol: they will usually leave notes for the next day - so ur aware of any suggestions ok?

Also, cuz u shot this morning, ur BG of 295 will now be AMPS 295. Did u shoot on time and everything?

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((Nicole)) I am so happy to hear you in such a positive mood and stopped beating yourself up for last week! You are Fanstastic. :RAHCAT

You are absolutely correct. Baby is in the best of hands---a loving mommabean who would do anything for her Baby.

I wish you a blessed day. Keep in touch ok?

10. Nicole & Baby

Ronnie.. I consider you one of those angels too!! You look out for Baby & I.
    I will remember to review the thread for any comments before shooting etc. I shoot at 4am..so somtimes I do good enough just getting out of Bed.. LOL
    Yes, we are on time & everything today!!

Paige.. thank you!! I will most definitely be in touch!! xoxoxo

11. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

The plunger twist thingy doesn't always work on all syringes...the current Relion ones I have don't budge on a twist usually. Makes it hard to get that exact dose when it's so small....sometimes have to go back into the cartridge and get more if too much shoots out.

I shoot .25u also....I first push the plunger all the way in before inserting into the cartridge, and keep holding it in while inserting....trying to keep from introducing any bubbles. Then I s-l-o-w-l-y draw up about 1.0u, click my nail against the syringe a few times like they do on TV to get that bubble up to the top, and then slowly push the insulin out until the top of the plunger is just a sliver of light below the zero marking. I hold the syring up to the light and can just see a tiny sliver of light under the zero. And that's "MY" .25u dose. :lol: YMMV

Good luck to you and Baby...with such a low dose to start....I'm not gonna say it but it involves a condo at a very pretty place. party_cat

12. Nicole & Baby

Brenda & Morris... lets sure hope so!! party_cat

My syringes actually do allow for me to twist the plunger quite nicely.. so I will go practice now.. but I think this dose will be easy for me to get...because I have played around with removing a drop or two from the .5 before ;-)

Will definitely be in touch & let everyone know how it goes!! Should I stick to the .50 today...or begin the .25 at our evening shot?

13. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Have you already given your morning shot? If so did you give .5U? I think you should wait and see how the day goes before making a decision. If she has a nice "ride" on the .5U you may want to stick with it and wait till she earns a decrease. If she goes to low or you find that she is below 100 at preshot you could try and use the lower dose. She may do well on the lower dose for 1-2 cycles and then begin staying higher, this is because during the cycles she does well you seeing the effects of the previous higher doses (.5U) that are still in the shed working, once they are gone the new lower dose isn't enough to keep things surfing.

Someone said once Lantus is like driving an ocean tanker, a turn of the ships wheel now has little noticable effect, it stays straight for another 20 kilometers before it starts to turn. And obvisously the higher the speed (dose) the father it travels before starting to turn. This is simular to what Jill meant when she said you are not shooting the number you got at Preshot but the number that you will have at onset (2-4 hours after preshot). Start turning now to avoid the iceburg 3 hours ahead of you.

14. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS 295

Great input Monique.. based on what I know so far.. I expect our PMPS # to be in the 200s, especially after skipping the dose last night..
    Anyway.. I will see what the # says... & remember I am shooting for the 2-4 hour #...

15. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS 295 +6 209

I expect the #s to be a bit higher today, with her missed dose last night.

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS 295 +6 209

and this is the reason why the lower dose was suggested... to stop the skipped shots and to allow you to collect more data so that you will feel comfortable shooting those lower preshot numbers.

have you had time to review alex's levemir spreadsheet as well as the links to the information i posted?

17. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/12 Baby AMPS 295 +6 209 QUESTION

Jill, thank you for following up & checking on us. I did look at the Alex's SS & it is wonderful looking & I understand what you are saying to us! I do appreciate you sharing that information with all of us.
    If you see this in time.. shot time is in 30min, should I just stay with .50 & not decrease until next shot (if # dictates that)
    I take everything you say very importantly.

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

the idea here is to pick a dose and stick to it. consistent dosing is the key with long acting insulins. if you're going to continue to skip shots then i suggest dropping the dose to 0.25u bid. this will buy you time to collect more data so that you feel comfortable shooting those lower ps numbers.

otoh, an experienced caretaker would stick with 0.5u bid, but you haven't been comfortable with that (skipped shots).

at this time, the dose is dependent on your comfort level.

19. Nicole & Baby

Thanks for the quick reply.. I will stick with .50, I think that may be best. I just need to remeber that first day is not normal :shock:
    I just tested her & it was high.. so will stick with .50, since she has not had scary #s since Day 1..thanks Jill :YMHUG:

20. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/12 Baby PMPS 292 +2 225

I am leaving to work my 2nd job & will be gone for about 4 hours, I will test again at +6

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you decided to stay with this dose, Baby is doing great and you're right, at this point you need to try to put that first day out of your mind (I know that's impossible, but really it is not any indication of how Baby will normally react when she is in green numbers). Great job, Nicole. :smile:

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Nicole - you really are doing great. I'm glad you're sticking with the dose.

23. Nicole & Baby

Libby & Lucy, Sienne and Gabby, thank you.. your words of encouragement mean so much.. overall this has been a relatively rough run for me. Other issues.. besides the Feline Diabetes have been heavy on my heart & mind. I am feeling exhausted, overwhelmed & scared still. I think overall with an OD, skipped dosages, etc. Baby is doing brilliant, her Baby body.. seems to kick in... momma is not doing that well though...
    Anyway..I am probably the only person on the whole site who is scared to see lower #s.. most people get happy.
    Believe me.. I am happy & I do want her in the low blues..greens.. but I get scared.. if I am not here to test her often... additionally.. I hate getting blood & it just breaks my heart to see her hate it too... scared of the # tomorrow.. because I know it will leave me wondering what to shoot... then going to work & obsessing about her going Hypo...

You all mean so much to me & I do read, read & read some more on Lantus... I listen, cry, listen & cry some more... but am trying to be strong..because I hold her heart & health in the palm of my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.