1/12 mocha amps 381 pmps 289 +3 189

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PeterDevonMocha, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 mocha amps 381

Good morning Devon

what? no cranky kitty this morning? :lol: cranky pants
    how are the snacks going? +8 she gets a snack - is that both both cycles? looks like the afternoon snack is giving u some nice yellow PS numbers.
    do u have a timed feeder so u dont have to get up early?

have a good day :)

3. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 1/12 mocha amps 381

good morning! No cranky pants today, other then actual shot time where she always displays her worst. I am trying to do better with her snacks. Usually finishes up breakfast about an hour to an hour and a half after she starts (comes back for it, not continuously) And then she gets snacks around +3 and then usually around +4 and +8. I've tried making the snacks at +3 (insulin onset) and +8 (last snack of the day) larger ones then what she had been getting in the past (1/2 can vs. 1/4 can) to see if that makes a difference with her numbers.

We don't have a timed feeder, but she is left with a frozen puck and a fresh can each night and then when it's gone she doesn't get any more until after her amps spot check. Sometimes she has food left in her bowl from overnight but most nights it's all gone besides a few crumbs.

4. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 1/12 mocha amps 381 +5 378

well this number certainly stinks. She ate at 7:45, then again around 10:30, then she ate at 12. I can't imagine she would still be working off a food spike.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I wonder whether the increased size of the snack is overwhelming Mocha's pancreas. Gabby gets frequent snacks (+2, and +4, +6 if I'm home, and +8 or 9) but the size is 1/8 of a can of FF. I'm trying to give enough food to stimulate her pancreas without overwhelming it.

6. PeterDevonMocha

I just don't know what to do. I had in the past been giving mocha a 1/4 out of a 3oz can for her snacks, and a 1/2 can out of a 3oz can for her breakfast and dinner, but then just recently got into a conversation about possibly giving mocha more food when insulin would set in (+3) and at her last meal of the day before pmps (at +4). Her in between snacks and lunch are still a 1/4 can. I wish we could find something that worked for her.

7. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Sorry about the food struggle Devon. I was trying to help.. really! You don't feed Mocha more food then you were before correct? Just arranged in a different meal/shot pattern right? A few more days may be required to see if something is working.... am thinking.
    I really don't mean to cause you grey hair... I hope you beleive me.

8. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 1/12 mocha amps 381 +5 378 pmps 289

Well, at least she is in the yellow now. Was worried at how high she was at +5. Figured her meter would go bazerk. Helene, you did not cause me grey hair. I know you were just suggesting different things to try, and we have been. It is all trial and error. And no, she is not getting more food, just different food amounts at different times. We can continue this food pattern for a few more days if that is what would be best for her. Before to long I am sure she will have to go back up to 3.25. We aren't seeing any greens lately.

Just under two months and we should have the money to get her dental done. Im going to be such a nervous wreck, but I really think we should do this for her. It might not do anything for her numbers, but I don't want to miss the chance at possibly helping her numbers either.

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/12 mocha amps 381 +5 378 pmps 289

Personally I don't think an increase to 3.25 tomorrow would be a bad thing. I don't see many holes in the spreadsheet where she could have gotten green that we didn't catch, so I think it's safe to assume that it isn't there.

For next time, I wonder if Mocha might be one of those cats who we should make work a little harder for her reductions. The new version of the tight regulation protocol is more aggressive and says to reduce if the cat goes below 40, OR if they go below 50 three times on separate days. Just an idea, what do you think? I'd definitely want to get Jill's and Cassandra's feedback on that before we try it, but Mocha does have trouble holding her reductions, and you are able to test a lot, so it might help.

10. PeterDevonMocha

ok, we will up her dose in the morning. We are game for anything if it might help mocha out. I guess I did not realize there was a new protocol out?

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're right -- the food issue may be trial and error. I think Jill has been very helpful with how to use food within the cycle. Perhaps she could offer a suggestion. Of course, if a dental is needed, that might also make a difference.

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

the German protocol has been slightly revised (just recently, check out the link in the sticky). Dose reductions are one of the areas where we have always modified the German protocol and we're still using our LL version, but it's worth discussion whether doing something a little different might help Mocha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.