1/12 Morris AMPS 350 PMPS 133

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brenda and Morris, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2145

After the fiasco with the new strips, I'm feeling really let down that those nice low numbers were probably bogus. He's starting out in the pinks today so I am increasing him back up to .25u...the .10u just doesn't seem to be holding and with him being "unwell" right now I don't want to stress out his body any further with high numbers. grr_red

I am also going to try only feeding low carb when he runs a bit low as both Heather and Libby suggested in yesterday's condo as well as not being so chicken about shooting the low numbers since he is on a micro dose. This provides a lot more relief from worry for me to find out that such a small amount would probably not cause hypo. I have seen hypo a few too many times in the past and hope to never again....so I worry a lot. :sad:

Vet never called me back yesterday about whether Morris should be seen or not. He's just not acting like himself....not eating very much unless I sprinkle Halo on it, still has puddingpoo (over a week now) and just generally lethargic. I will be calling them as soon as I get this first cup of coffee in me :coffee: .

Will check back later.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 Morris AMPS 350 Increasing Dose

Hi Brenda,

hope Morris feels better soon, I know it's tough when u have to worry about them, I hate it too.
    Keep us posted, I know u will ((hugs))

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Guess I misunderstood yesterday...I thought you had brought him to the vet...
    Shadow was higher yesterday and this morning too...wonder how the increase will work
    with Morris....will be watching.

so frustrating, isn't it? I hope Morris starts to feel better soon....

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hey Brenda, think you should bring him in...Puddingpoo for this long is too long!
    We love our Morris & want him to be well..Glad you increased him -sometimes you need to go up, to come back down....
    Absolute Hugs, and healing vines to Morris..Let us know asap--

5. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Vet's assistant said she did not leave until 9 p.m. last night, very long day in surgery and didn't have energy to return calls. :YMSIGH: Will be in at 1:00 today...I am her first appointment. Morris ate a little bit...anything sprinkled with Halo he gobbles up so I put it on less than 1/4 can FF with his probiotics for diarrhea. That he ate. Then I gave him some more FF an hour or so later...he won't eat more than a few licks and walks away. I have even given him humanfood white meat canned chicken and he won't touch it...forget about Wellness or Friskies, about all he'll eat is FF and not much of that. This is not normal for Morris. :cry:

Do you think it would be OK to put some more Halo on his food so he will eat?? The package of Halo says only 5-7 treats a day for a cat his size...he's already had double that! ohmygod_smile What could be so bad??? :?

6. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet. Keep us posted. I hope Morris feels better soon. I don't know about Halo but you can try Parm cheese. Mine all like that.

7. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Sorry to hear your Morris is feeling so crummy right now! Maybe it's that nasty weather you are getting right now! My sister, BIL & niece are in FL right now (they ran a 1/2 marathon through WDW last weekend!) and have been complaining about the weather!! You would think they would be used to it considering they live in BC!! LOL!!!

Good luck at the vet this afternoon & keep us posted!!!

8. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Re: 1/12 Morris - Convenia for Anal Cleaning???

Morris had his vet visit this afternoon and we may have found the root(s) of his present problems. First was his anal glands were completely full...they had a new vet tech who is actually a vet from Colombia who is not licensed yet and he actually was able to hold Morris is the Vulcan death grip so that Dr. Sarah could examine him. That was the only thing she found other than that his teeth are in horrible shape...so a dental has been scheduled for next Monday. She's not sure if he will lose any teeth but the gums looked pretty bad.

Such a relief to know what might be wrong with him...he came in the door and headed straight for his food and is right now chowing down - he hadn't eaten yet today except for a small bit this a.m. with his probiotics.

I have a question though about the Convenia antibiotic shot...she wanted to give one today because there was some white stuff in the anal matter and to be safe she wanted him to have the a/b....I said no because of the issues Dr. Lisa has brought up. My vet had not heard of the problems Dr. Lisa mentioned....I left it that if he showed signs of infection when I bring him in next week we will discuss it again. Should I have let her give him the Convenia? I can go back and get it to give him myself if he should have it. Anyone???

9. Barbara and tuffy

Re: 1/12 Morris AMPS 350 Convenia for Anal Cleaning???

Glad you got to the "root" of the problem. I try not to use shots for any of my animals. Never sure how they will react and difficult to reverse a shot particularly a long-acting one. But, that being said, after the controversy over Covenia, I would not touch it. My understanding (convenia) is it is primarily for skin and UTI infections but is being used as a general AB. There are lots of good, proven safe ABs out there. I had one react to Orbax (quinolones drug). It had a seizure. That is one of the side-effects. Joint and retina problems are also associated with Orbax. Also, Orbax is primarily used for skin/wound/abscess or uti. Tang had none of those. Good luck. I'm sure someone here who has had a dental will recommend an AB they used. Keep us posted.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As I understand it (and I did a very quick and dirty Google search), the only indication for the use of Convenia in cats is for skin and soft tissue infections. (If there's an infection of the anal gland, this may qualify but I can't say whether it qualifies or not.) I also recall the concern being that Convenia lasts for 14 days. If Morris has a reaction to the drug, you're stuck - you can't take the drug back or stop it and apparently it reaches a plasma level in 20 hrs. Unless he is impossible to pill, I'm not sure what the advantage of Convenia over an orally administered cefalosporin antibiotic would be. The clear warnings (despite the drug company hype) are if there is a history of sensitivity or allergy to penicillin or cefalosporin ABs.

I think once Morris has the dental and other infections/inflammations cleared up, his numbers will be better.

11. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

I was just looking at the health board & noticed that Dr Lisa just posted about Convenia! Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2107

12. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Oh Morris! Feel better soon, buddy!

13. Barbara and tuffy

14. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Thanks for that link Barbara...and you too Gwen, I had read Dr. Lisa's concerns and that's why "I" was concerned about giving it to him. I guess the anal gland expression could be considered a soft tissue treatment. And actually Morris had Convenia for his UTI last year and I considered it a Godsend because he IS impossible to pill. I will see how he does...I can always go and get it from her, it's right across the street, and they let me take it home last time (he had to have it twice as the one shot didn't get rid of all the infection). He didn't have any adverse reaction to it then...does that mean he won't ever???? confused_cat

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maui was given clindamycin for her anal gland infection. Not sure if this is the correct drug, but she's allergic to amoxicillin so that and clavamox are not options for her.

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Typically, with an allergy the first administration is ok. It's the subsequent exposure that will trigger a reaction.

17. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

So glad you have an answer to your real questions!

On a minor question about the halo treats: When I want to encourage Kitty to eat, I spread the food very, very thin on the plate. Then I sprinkle the treats on that. He always eats all the treats, and he can't avoid licking up the food, too, when it's spread so thin. Tricky bean. ;-)

18. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yeah, I do the same if he just "has" to eat....like in order to get the probiotics into him, I mix up the probiotic powder with water and just a tsp of FF then sprinkle ground up Halo over it...he scarfs it down. But the package says only 5-6 treats a day....wonder why??? I use that many on the probiotics!

19. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Re: 1/12 Morris PMPS 133

Now that's a better PS number...133 is good in my book....not too high, not too low, just right! :lol:

After his ordeal this afternoon, Morris' appetite has picked up a little bit and he has been eating. Had another LB prezzie but it was still stinky and pudding consistency...vet said may take a few days to get back to normal.

Did I mention the vet wants Morris to fatten up a bit??? :eek: He's down to 14 lb. 14 oz. and she thinks he's too skinny. I thought so too but thought it was just because I'm used to him at 26 lbs. His backbone sticks out and he feels bony. So how do you put weight on when they eat low carb and already are eating about 8 times a day???? :? confused_cat

20. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

glad you got some answers from the vet, I'm sure the bad teeth/gums and the anal gland issue could have been contributing to his numbers. Hopefully at least part of that will resolve now that the anal glands are taken care of, and he'll be good as new when the teeth are done.

21. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

What a busy day for you and Morris! Glad that the vet was able to find out what was going on with him..
    And, that PMPS bloooo numbers is very nice :D

Eat Morris! Eat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.