1/12 Shadoe amps 358, +11 358 pmps 349

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo

Yesterday's recap:
    364 - amps
    329 - pmp
    321 - +2
    373 - +7
    373 - +11

Got in a test late last nite; no ketones.

This morning, Shadoe was kind and did not walk all over me, choosing just to lie on my legs till I got up.
    As usual, she claimed a bit of hunger but I knew different as I gave her 1/4 can of food when I tested her at +7. I have to give her E for effort though. While she waited, she got 2 piece of pure snacks and a tiny dish of some chicken cubes.
    By now, she knows she gets that one offering before her amps, so she took her time eating them, then went to a rug to wait patiently.

I saw Booboo sitting right beside Shadoe watching her eat breakfast after her shot. I am hoping that Booboo is getting hungry enough during the day that she may consider trying some of whatever's in Shadoe's bowls. Booboo is small, skinny 6.4lbs, always has been, but going 12hours without her kibble may be pushing her towards the wet. LOL Who am I kidding? I would be totally shocked if she did switch, but maybe once less of my focus is on getting Shadoe settled, I'll make some attempts to switch Booboo.

Shadoe's had 1/2 can Core chicken flavor so far this morn; no more for tubby till the next turn of the feeder.

Time for work now for me. Booboo's already gone BTB and Shadoe just chewed the last bits off her breakfast bowl and is now cleaning up.

Happy day to all kitties. Happy thoughts bring us happy numbers and happy beans.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 Shadoe +11 373 amps 358

Good morning

sending yellow sunny rays your way!

Is Shadoe liking the Pure Snacks? Have u lost any fingers yet? I have a couple of puncture wounds, lol
    Greedy guts these kitties are!

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Have a great day at work Gayle.
    Max has a skinny sister too, 7 pounds to his 18.
    I finally see her hovering around the wet food. I think
    she likes to eat in private. You never know when the change in food
    will kick in for them.
    Hope Booboo takes to the food.
    Lets see Shadoe follow Max and break some of that pink. Paws crossed.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ronnie,
    Excuse me, but like is not an appropriate word to describe what Shadoe thinks of those Pure Snacks. I think she should be caged before I bring them out!

Yeah, she LOVES them and no matter how upset or sick or hungry she could be, give her a couple of those and everything else leaves her mind.

I will have to get a couple crates of those! I am getting the dog ones next time.

Randi,
    If you have not gotten these snacks for Max and his skinny sister, you MUST!
    I just can't figure out what's the super draw to them. if they are just that one ingredient, I had gotten a bag of beef liver flavor, and it's just dried, I am puzzled.

Anyways, Shadoe has been trying to get so flat that she remains on the same number. I am hoping the dose increase will result in her moving that flat line down into some sunshine, but time will tell.

Good wishes to Luna and Max for the day.

5. Ronnie & Luna

LOL!! oh crap I thought I was gonna get noodled! But then I re-read your post.

Crazy kitties for Pure Bite treats!! I know the feeling. I gotta run the water while I take some out of their treat jar or I'll have them all over me!
    So I do a surprise attack - "treat?" lol! then they chase me for more.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Can you say FLAT?

As usual, the first 2 sections of the feeder were licked clean, the 3rd had half the food gone, then the 4th between 3-6pm was barely touched. I think that bowl conflicts with Shadoe's afternoon nap time.

For some reason, she was OK for the +11 test tonite, but when she saw the syringe, she scooted under the chair. I don't know what that was all about, but from time to time, she just does not want a shot. People are the same when on meds, so why not kitties? If you have to give yourself injections every day, there really are some days that you just don't want to give yourself that shot. Wave a bowl of chicken under Shadoe's nose and she suddenly decides that shot won't be so bad after all!

Tonite's shot is cycle 3, so I guess we won't be expecting too much yet. We'll see what we get later.

7. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I sincerely hope you see some better numbers....Shadoe deserves to be at least in the yellow! Come on Shadoe, you can do it!!!

8. Ronnie & Luna

Hang in there Gayle - it's there - just peeking around the corner - I know too - Shadoe can pull it off!
    :dizcat

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 Shadoe amps 358, +11 358 pmps 349, +2 338

What puzzles me is how Shadoe can "seem" like she's feeling better after the shot, but the number has barely moved.

On the one hand, I am happy that Shadoe feels happier, but on the other hand, I worry about moving into the high dose zone.

Ah well, the shed's still filling so time will tell.
    In the meantime, Shadoe's happy enough with her pinks.

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((Gayle)))) Some kitties need more juice than others, we'll get there. Shadoe is feeling good, right?

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance, Libby. Yes, Shadoe is feeling terrific! She is bouncing around like a kitten, terrorizing Booboo, eating nicely not gobbling, purring lots and stretching and grooming more every day. Many times she bounces like a 12lb bunny around here, so I am positive she is better.

Shadoe is all around 1000% better, so that's why I don't get how she can be so great, but hanging onto those pinks almost for dear life.

I just wondered if there is anything different that is done for kitties who seem to be insulin gobblers.

Even her +4 at 302 is just on the low edge of pink, so I will again test once more before bed and may or may not see a yellow. It's just agonizingly slow going and it makes me wonder if I am doing something that is slowing progress or if Shadoe and her organs are just being stubborn about change.

At least I am grateful for no crazy highs and lows, so we will plug along till Shadoe feels she is ready.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Hey Gayle,
    I do hear your frustration all the way across the Quebec border.
    Th 2 of us are on a slow dance with our kitties.
    You told me to have patience and to hang in there, well back at you. :D
    We will get there. We are in this together!

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Randi, I hear you and I really am listening, but like watching a kid tie his own shoe laces, you just want to help it along.

Personally, I Shadoe and Max have been scheming to drag things out and get more attention for longer!

Scratches for Max from me.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

14. Randi & Max (GA)

We just might have to arrange a play date, and invite Luna over.
    he can have a chat with our kitties
    I don't need a rabies shot for Max to get into Ontario.
    We can't go visiting our American friends yet. :YMSIGH:
    And yes, tomorrow is another day.

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

one of the things most caregivers notice after starting on lantus is how much better kitty seems to feel in spite of the numbers.
    it's good to hear shadoe feels so well, too!

like libby said, some kitties are just thirstier than others. we just haven't gotten to a dose which will cause a break in the numbers. however, once kitties get up to a dose of around 5u bid, we have to consider the possibility of something else going on besides diabetes. there are some high dose conditions such as Acromegaly, Cushings, and Insulin Auto Antibodies (IAA) which are thought to be rare, but these conditions appear to be widely under diagnosed and more common than thought. although you may discover shadoe may just be a kitty who requires a high dose of insulin, it's time to prepare for other possibilities. if shadoe should test positive for any one of these conditions nothing much would change except we would know to be more aggressive with dosing. have you discussed shadoe's numbers with your vet lately?

here's a link to more info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375.
    hopefully this information will give you someplace to start with your vet...

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I definitely suggest that you read the link Jill provided and ask any questions you might have. There are plenty of cats who need higher doses and do not have an underlying condition (Lucy was up to 4.25 before her breakthrough, Pepper is another, Tuffy was on a high dose). But it is something to think about and discuss with your vet.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thank you both, Jill and Libby.

I have not spoken with her vet because frankly i don't think she knows all that much about FD, and till now, it seemed like Shadoe was doing well so no recent visit to the vet.

I will now go to the vet's, it's just a couple blocks from me, and discuss bringing Shadoe in for testing as you suggest. I'll also read up the link and take ALL of the info with me to the vet's so they have the info as well.
    I will ask for testing on the following:
    Acromegaly, Cushings, and Insulin Auto Antibodies (IAA)
    If there is anything else you can think of that could be contributing to Shadoe's dragging her paws so slowly, please let me know. I will not get the time to go till this weekend, so I'll spend time reading and gathering info for the visit.

Thanks again for the guidance and suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.