? 1/13 Abby AMPS 311 / + 3 170 / +4 88 / +6 141 - could Abby be bouncing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SDAbby, Jan 13, 2021.

1. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2716940/

Hi, all - Abby's number still seem to be increasing and it seems to be tied to how much LC dry food Abby is eating (she is eating a lot more of it post new years). Based on prior discussion, I removed the LC dry food this morning (she is not happy), dropped her to .5U (from a few days at .75U) and will try switching to TR to see if I can figure out what is going on. Based on her day drops, I assume the Lantus is still good (5 months), but at what point should I either get a new bottle or run blood tests to figure out if something else is going on with Abby? I guess I'll give no dry kibble a try for a few days before jumping to conclusions...but if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

thanks in advance.

2. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

hi, all - based on Abby's playfulness and catitude, I tested Abby and she was @88 at +4. Could her recent high numbers be bounces from low numbers I'm not catching or could she really swing that much after being off dry food for 8 hours? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Abby's Mom! Your bottle of Lantus should still be good for another month. My Ruby started seeing more green numbers after a few weeks of being off dry food (I took her off on 10/30/20 if you check her SS), and this also coincided with me switching to a human meter and doing more testing. I would give it some time but you should see some improvement.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

Thanks, Katherine @PerfumedCatMom ! It gave me hope to look at Ruby's SS so I really appreciate the note. I also haven't heard of Weruva before (and that isn't one of the 5 wet foods I've tried with Abby), so I will check that out to see if Abby likes (or at least tolerates - hehe:)) that. I hope Ruby continues to heal - beautiful pic of her!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  5. Katherine&Ruby

Ruby was getting very bored with Fancy Feasts and I got a worrisome test result last month that could possibly indicate CKD and the FF pate is high in phosphorus which is bad for kidneys. I saw a lot of caregivers here with diabetic and CKD kitties feed Weruva foods here so I thought I'd give it a go with Ruby. She ADORES them. I have tried dozens of flavors with her and she prefers the pates and the Cats in the Kitchen ones the best. I never have trouble getting her to eat those, and they come in a large variety of carb percentages so I have foods for every "feeding the curve" scenario. :cat: They're more expensive than FF or Friskies, but I figure it's either I pay for better food or more vet bills. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Plus, Weruva is an independently owned company so my money isn't going to Mars, Purina, or one of those other huge corporations. Another brand that is pretty popular here is Tiki Cat because the quality of their ingredients is super high but I haven't tried those because a lot of them are zero carb and I think Ruby does better on slightly higher carb foods.

SDAbby likes this.
  6. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

Thanks @PerfumedCatMom - it is so good to know I don't have the only insanely picky cat in the world:) I've ordered Weruva to try it out. Abby was not a fan of Tiki cat unfortunately - although I personally thought it looked more edible than FF!

7. Katherine&Ruby

Tiki's got the chunky kind and the After Dark pates--has Abby tried both? The pates seem to be a big hit. Ruby was beyond finicky, especially when I started this journey and was so afraid to give her insulin if she didn't want to eat. We always had Cerenia and mirtazapine on hand for those days as I think she was nauseous a lot when she was in higher numbers. That's mostly gone away, thankfully! Have a great evening--sorry, I don't know your name!

SDAbby likes this.
  8. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

Yep, Abby's tried both, unfortunately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Weruva! Thanks again and have a good evening! (and my name is Shannon)

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looking like a nice cycle today. :D

SDAbby likes this.