1/13 Buster- AMPS 265- Jill

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bustercat, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bustercat

Bustercat Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2375

His +5 last night was 235.

Spoke with the new vet this morning. I do like her. She reviewed his ss, and also his labs from Oct when he was put on insulin. She is very concerned about his kidneys. His BUN was 32 and Creatinine was 1.6.

She wants me to change his food to Science Diet WD... Higher fiber and lower protein, to help his kidneys.

She does not want me to up his insulin at the moment... she wants me to slowly change over his food and to rotate the injection sites more. She says we can wait a month or so and recheck his kidney values.

The office person is going to be calling me back with a price for a dental and the cushings test.

What are others with higher kidney values feeding?

2. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Re: 1/13 Buster- Food issues/kidney

Hello,

I am certainly no expert on kidney issues, but dry food is the last thing Buster needs... IMO.
    I suggest that you cross post to health and ask specifically about "kidney" food.
    I hope this helps.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

here's a link to a whole bunch of other links having to do with kidney disease including foods: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1123. there are much better choices than WD. i'll as choy-foong to stop by here with more kidney related comments.

dose... i think you can easily take the dose up to 7u bid.

when the dose gets up this high, there are 3 tests which may bear looking into... the test for acromagaly, insulin auto antibodies, and cushings. the first 2 are the ones i'd be looking into first if buster were my cat. here's the link to more information: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

hi there. jill sent me over. do you have reference ranges (they should be in parenthesis) for buster's creatinine and bun levels? (i'm more interested in creatinine). also, do you have his phosphorus, calcium and potassium levels? did vet get a urine specific gravity (USG) reading back then?

if you have the values, post it in this format to make it easier for peeps to read:
    BUN 32 (14-36)
    Creatinine 1.6 (0.6-2.4)

just some quick thoughts on diet. generally, kidney diets are not preferred until end-stage kidney disease. buster isn't anywhere near that. even if your ref. ranges are what i think they are (creat=0.7-1.7), the worst he'll be is early CRI (chronic renal insufficiency) - which i'm not sure i'd even say he is unless you have some USG readings. ok, let's just say he has CRI (which, like i said, i'm not sure he does, at this point) - most CRI kitties do well on a lower-phos diet, without having to raise carb intake. w/d is very high in carbs - canned w/d has 26% of its calories from carbs. if buster switches to that, you'll have to increase insulin a lot to compensate.

5. Bustercat

Bustercat Member

Re: 1/13 Buster- AMPS 265- PMPS 344

Thanks for all the CRF info.

The vet did say she does not want to see the creatinine above 1.7. Since starting insulin, Buster has been eating the lc ff. I am happy to say that most of the flavors he eats are on the low phos crf list. I will talk to the vet about testing... narrowing one potential factor at a time. Start with the acro test???

Thanks!

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

if it were me, i'd start with having both the acro and IAA test done at the same time. i think the IAA test is somewhere around $14. the acro test is in the vicinity of $100, i believe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.