1/13 Cleo - should we post again?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chriscleo, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

as many of you know, cleo has lymphoma now. she's had 5 chemo treatments and is also on prednisolone and a BUNCH of other pills and injectables.

she was doing fine before the steroids but now her BGs aren't as predictable. what's tougher is that her EATING isn't as predictable.

am i going to be able to get dosing help with prednisolone and an extra sick kitty on board? i do test every time but it's been crazy here with 3 sick kitties so i'm very far behind on my SS.

not sure who here has cancer/steroid experience. issue these days seems to be that if she has a lower preshot (greens or low blues) her next preshot is mostly super high. but we rarely have green days now. mostly runs in the 100s and 200s (more 200s).

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I recommend that you still post, update your ss as best you can and make sure your profile or even your signature includes the additional info.

This way, when people review your condo and offer suggestions, they have the complete picture and hopefully knowledge of the issues.

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Of course you should still post. :)

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Chris))) I think this is the best place to be if you need advice. Bear takes steroids, but I suck at advice giving (and taking). Carolyn and Latte are dealing with lymphoma and Prednisolone, and there are other kitties here in LL with similar issues. There are great advice givers here. Hope to see you posting soon.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

chris, i think if you start posting again you'll be able to get help from those who are dealing with similar conditions. just try to get all your ss and profile info updated so they'll have everything they need to comment or make suggestions. the rest of the community will offer support...

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Cheryl and Winnie.

just curious - do the roids make her want to eat? is it daily dosing? she's on mirtz too, right? wondering if there's any way to play the roids/mirtz off each other so that one can pick up where the other one wears off, but guess that may not work if roids are daily and mirtz is q72h. eta i really don't have any idea what i'm talking about, just thinking out loud.

meowzi says greens are over-rated ;-) what's important is how cleo's feeling - how's she doing?

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I like Meowzi's take :D

I don't have any experience of Cleo's illness but like others moral support counts too.
    This board and particularly LL gave us so much, it's nice to give back in whatever way.

Posts away......

8. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Chris!
    So nice to hear from you.. and glad that you are coming back to LL :D
    It sounds like there are a few people who have the experience that you need...
    Please give Cleo a scritch from me.. Glad that she is doing well!

9. chriscleo

cleo has a fever now (103.5) so we're monitoring. also nonregenerative anemia. her appetite has been poor. right now i'm operating under the principle that she has to eat, no matter what, so it's chicken baby food and deli meat mostly.
    mirtz was getting her eating beautifully but that's not the case now unless i wait an extra day or two beyond the 72 hrs.
    [wcf, i think that's an excellent point about roid vs mirtz. not sure how i'd do it but definitely worth seeing if some timing adjustments might be helpful.]

vet wants me to up the dose because her sugar is mostly high but on some noneating days it's low so it's a difficult balance. not sure if others have had the same experience, but i have the feeling the lantus pen i got for free is not very effective. she was doing much better on the cartridge from canada even when it was over 2 months old.

10. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

chris, she has a fever? when was her last bloodwork and last chemo tx? did vet give any instruction to take her in if she's running a fever and inappetant? you guys haven't taken a break from chemo tx, right, she's still in the middle of it? does her vet know she's running a temp?

11. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

chris - can't offer any help with the 'roids and all the medical issues you are going thru with cleo - can offer you hugs/prayers and an ear when ever you need to vent. Sorry that you are having to go thru this.

12. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Awwwwww (((((((((Chris)))))))))))
    Now didnt you come to my rescue and offer me support in my earlier days here?! What would you have said if I suggested not posting because of all Latte's issues? ohmygod_smile Silly! :mrgreen:

Im REALLY sorry things are so tough. I popped into your condo a few days ago, as I noticed numbers going higher and higher. I was thinking..."whats happening here?!?!". SUre enough, the first words out of your mouth were the same thing. Im sorry I did not respond that day...I believe I got distracted by a phone call as I was reading. I feel bad I did not come back and give you support. I hope you dont feel as if you are not getting any. We got your back! :YMHUG:

I think its really important for people like you, me, linda, cheryl/winnie, cassandra and sasha, and all the others who have experience with giving pred while trying to regulate, or just eleviate some of the high BG's that go along with it. For me, one of the frustrating parts is the LACK of people who post or think they shouldnt because it is 'so different'. WE need this support....WE need EACH OTHER! So, please....dont stop posting.

You can look at my ss, as I have experimented extensively with timing of pred and insulin. You should be able to see the general rule (for Latte), is a peak in BG 2-3hrs after I administer pred. That peak seems to slowly go away from about +5-+7, and then she maintains a fairly stable bg until amps. From amps until her next pred dose, she seems great overall! The struggle is finding a dose to balance out both evening and day. She goes so low sometimes during the day, but so high at night. Cassandra encourages me to believe that once we get the 'right' dose, it will balance out. So I try to hope this is true.

the eating is a challenging part as well. Latte eats better with the pred, but I dont think its fully responsible for the majority of her appetite (as a stimulant, anyway). And, often times it wavers. She does tend to want to eat about 3hrs after pred and eats mostly through the night. She does not eat as much during the day. This is a very stressful part, for me, when giving insulin. Doing a lot of testing has helped me realize when it is REALLY important for latte to eat well around shot time and when I can leave her be for a while. Of course the fear of vomiting always sits on our shoulders as well. I do a lot of babyfood if Im getting nervous. I really dont see anything wrong with it. I also let her eat kibble. She has to eat. And I have to deal with it. I actually figured today that kibble in the a.m., when dropping fast/low before heading out the door is a GOOD thing for her....if she does not chose to eat or is unable to from nausea during the day, she will have a spike to sustain her later on.

I cant remember if it was you..winnie...cassandra? Someone in the beginning told me that I should choose a range to shoot for regulation wise. Maybe at this point a constant green bg is not the best range for cleo. There is so much to juggle, so much to manage when serious and multiple issues are involved. Where does cleo seem to be the most comfortable?

Gosh, Im just babbling and probably saying things you already know. Sorry. But do know, it is important to ME that you continue posting.

I see that cleo has a fever. Is there an action plan for that? A point where you need to bring cleo in?

I do look forward to following you two a little more closely.

Hang in there!!!!

13. chriscleo

maybe it's my brain damage but i don't know how to reply to specific posts on the new board unless i quote.

yep, vet's aware of cleo's fever. she was just in on monday for ultrasound, blood/urine testing, dental checkup, and unknown crisis involving inappetance, vomiting, diarrhea, water, sleeping on litterbox (1st time ever). found the fever and based on ultrasound vet thinks it's pancreatitis again. but some of the test results don't bear that out so it's hard to tell with her. her chemo is due again next week so originally this visit was scheduled for then but i moved this appointment up because she's not been herself and i've been worried. so far she hasn't skipped chemo but skipped a few meds from vomiting them up. nice when they're in pill pocket pieces -- a lot more visible when regurgitated so i guess there's no question as to whether some part of the pill has been absorbed. :)

got a call from the vet today to go over bloodwork, hence the comment about nonregenerative anemia. she's calling me on friday from home to check on cleo again just in case. otherwise i'm to bring her in again sooner if worried. chemo should be the 20th so i hope she's in good enough shape for it.

14. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

((((((((Chris))))))))) Of course you should post again! No one should have to go through all of that stuff on their own - and you don't have to - this board is always a wealth of help and knowledge no matter what is going on.

I completely agree with Choy-Foong. You don't necessarily have to aim for green all the time - or at all for that matter. Cleo's cancer and everything else comes first. Just try and aim for a reasonable range as best as you can. Allow a little buffer for the days she is not eating well. I know how difficult it can be to work insulin in around an inappetant cat. I hate to even mention it in hopes of preventing food aversion, but have you tried syringe feeding on the days she is not eating well, or does that just make her feel worse? With Sasha, sometimes syringe feeding got her over whatever hump she was crossing, and other times it make her feel more sick. Every day was a guessing game.

I do think that Lantus/Lev's overlap does help hold the BGs down a little better once a good dose has been reached, but if you aim for perfection all the time it is just a set up to be disappointed. Higher days do happen.....just have to go with the flow. Can't beat yourself up over it.

We got luck that once Sasha started the steroids everything else got better, and her appetite did a 180. I was able to increase aggressively as needed because of that until she had another breakthrough, but you have to play the game a bit differently if Cleo is still inappetant occasionally.

I'm a big believer in the *cancer kitties (really all sick kitties) get whatever they want to eat*. Insulin can be worked around whatever makes her happy. Her QOL is what's important, and if that means feeding her a 14% carb food while she is going through chemo then so be it. Just MHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.