1/13 Max AMPS 469

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning
    8th cycle 4.75
    Boy do I hate these high AMPS. PMPS are always so much lower.
    I wanted to see how today went before doing another increase.
    Maybe he went blue overnight as his +3 PMPS was 235.
    I am also getting a bit concerned that 5u is getting to be considered a high dose
    and that there might be something else that is going on (Jill mentioned something
    like this in Gayle & Shadoe's condo)

On another note, WCR: Max is still such a happy boy.
    Scarfing down his breakfast, full of purrs and busy cleaning himself.
    No surprises on the carpet in several days, although he was at the water fountain
    drinking this morning.

Yesterday

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn't get focused on the amount of insulin you're giving. What's more important is that Max is responding. You'll find a dose that will bring his numbers down. And if he's a high dose kitty, so what? As long as he's happy and healthy, that's what's important.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks for that Sienne and you are right.
    It is hard for me to not focus on numbers (whether it is BG or insulin)
    Must be the CPA in me.
    Max really has been looking and acting very well lately and he trimmed
    down a little bit. Very handsome Mr.
    I just want to be sure (although I don't think that is completely possible)
    that I am not chasing this dose. But as usual, I have followed all of the
    guidelines, support and advice from the board so I'm pretty sure Max
    will get the 5 tonight, latest tomorrow.

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Randi==Hope that Max will level out & give some great numbers!! It's a trial & error thing we live with here--Hope you find your perfect dose soon--HUGS~!

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Again Max is higher at +9, then back down to 331 at PMPS.
    I decided to increase to 5u for tonights shot.

I just find it a bit worrisome that his AMPS is very high and he drops
    straight to mid yellows 3 hours later.
    Should I be concerned? I don't know what that is about.

6. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Randi,
    I hope Mtl is good today - my family kinda lives there and I often remind them that I live in the tropics of Canada.... :)

here's what I'm thinking about Max's drop.... and see if It makes sense to you..... onset is not instantaneous like with vetsulin.... so let's say it's about at +2 - I didn't double check Max's SS but recommend that you look at it closely. So at +2 or +3, he takes the express elevator down to a lower floor.... let's try to see if we can cushion his elevator ride with food (because food and insulin counter act each other, but you know that already)... so ..... at feeding time, give the boy something so he's happy, but don't give him too too much. Now 2 hours or 1.5 hours later, give him a snack (same size if not bigger than the meal) so when digetsion is taking place, the insulin kicks in. That 'should' dampen the drop and make it more pleasant for the cat and for Mr. Pancreas (and Mr. Liver because it doesn't like huge drops either). I used and still use a timed feeder for Tizon's snacks. He hears click and runs to the food. What do you think?

With respect to the dose Max is one... well... tis the dose he needs.... you went up the scale (and may still go up a bit) carefully, so it's not like it was missed.

Sending patience vines your way! Hang in there!!!!

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Helen
    Montreal is freezing, thanks for asking. lol

That info is terrific. Thank you. I am going to print this out now and
    leave instructions with his babysitter.
    I think that is a great idea to give him a snack at that time. Right now he is
    getting a snack just after his test at +3.
    We were always trying to space the BG readings and food so that we could get
    good numbers, not food numbers.
    It hasn't been such a concern until the last couple of days where he really dropped
    and I know that is not good for the cycle.

Should I do a +2 and see what that's like to change it up a bit?
    Right now I do 3,6,9 12

8. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm from Montreal, and still have a lot of family there. I miss it ... in the summer.

9. Randi & Max (GA)

All these ex-Montrealers. Lucky you got out.
    Do you know any really good vets for Diabetes here in La Belle Province?
    Not sure how mine is going to react when I see her with Max on Friday.
    When I left on vacation she told me to keep Max at 2.75. Oops, now he is moved to 5.

BTW, what does "diet controlled" really mean?
    I don't think I'm anywhere near getting to that stage yet or what do I really
    need to do to get there?

10. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Diet controlled means.... no more insulin! (pancreas works well enough to 'process' low carb food on his own). Not every cat gets there... depends on a bunch of things (how long since dx, other medical issues, meds, pancreatic life left.... etc..). Don't give up.... NEVER give up! Max may never get there but if you don't try you don't know and also a kitty who is regulated is a much better kitty regardless... OTJ or not. - common analogy is that some people will always be on heart medication and their health is better because of it...

Donno any good vets in la belle province to send you to, sorry.

With respect to your spot checks, variety is good and nadir is what dosing is based on with Lantus. No need to turn every day into a pokathon, but around here, we never say no to data!

With respect to food spike... the most important time that you need to worry about food spike (ok, there are 2) is at PS (to have a better sense of what number you are shooting) and also after your HC (gravy) the cat (to make sure it's working to to see if you need to gravy him a little more). During the day, it's good to see the interaction food/insulin. Consider it ... synergy.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.