1/13 Sami - AMPS 185 - +2 230

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Sami was surfing the blues all night, and I am loving it. It is amazing what a diet change and regular dosing can do.

I talked to the vet last night and she is very happy with Sami's progress after the switch to wet food and the consistent dosing. She has recommended we stay at the one unit for another week, and after last night’s numbers I have to agree. Maybe we will see even more drop in the coming days.

Also she mentioned that in veterinary medicine they consider a diabetic cat regulated if they stay under 250 and don't drop too low, which Sami has done for the most part over the last few days. I would really like to see her a little lower with numbers only in the 100's, but I will give it another week at this dose and then re-evaluate to determine if we want to add a smidge more insulin to help push down those numbers a little more.
    at this dose and then re-evaluate to determine if we want to add a smidge more insulin to help push down those numbers.

Hope everyone has a great day.

2. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hello,

Looks like Sami is making some progress.

Here's a few things for you to consider.....

I suspect that your vet has had 'vetsulin' or more traditional insulin exposure.... lantus is totally different. Look around at the spreadsheet.... tonnes of data on this board. Actively, over 50 cats post condos everyday.... just in Lantus alone.

Also... consider this... would you rather Sami be regulated or diet controlled? Now, I'm not saying that there is a guarantee, but .... I'm telling you... you think you've found heaven when the pancreas starts working on this own and shots are no longer required.... Did the vet discuss that possibility with you? It's not typically something they've even heard of... but there are exceptions.

it's normal to feel scared and anxious... we've all been there... and we help each other out. Take it one day at the time. It's ok! We are here to help you.

3. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Yes, I would love it if Sami were not to go off the juice. And that is exactly what happened after she was on the vetsulin for a few weeks. The doctor has discussed this with me and she thinks it will very likely happen again on Lantun.

I do like Sami's progress, but like any mom, I would like the numbers to be in the normal range, but I don't want to be worried that she will go too low. If I can get her into the 80-140 range I will be extremely happy and hopefully we will be able to decrease the doses so she doesn't need insulin any more. But that isn't my concern right now. Right now I just want to keep her out of the higher numbers, and based on the last few days and the advice I have received on this board Sami has gone from 300's, 400's, and 500's to 100's and 200's. I couldn't be more happy. Next step to keep her down in the 100's , and then we can work on getting her off the insulin. I know I want to speed things along, but I really don't want the stress that comes with low blood sugar.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tina:

When you have a chance, review the Tight Regulation Protocol again. The goal of this approach to Lantus/Levemir use is either remission or tight regulation. Either goal relies on Sami spending as much time as possible in a healthy, low BG range. In other words, in the greens. I agree with Helene, your vet is probably thinking more in terms of the short to intermediate duration insulins. Many vets are not as conversant with the use of Lantus as they are with other insulins. Further, for some cats, numbers around 250 may be above renal threshold and I doubt this would be considered "regulation."

Numbers even in the 30s are not something to be frightened of. I'm saying that after being at this for several months and having seen how these numbers can be easily steered with the use of both LC and HC food and having observed any number of other cats and their beans manage those numbers safely and easily. It is unnerving, if not down right frightening the first time and maybe the second or third time. But, you become confident in knowing how to manage a low number (and please notice I deliberately did not say hypo -- most cats do not have symptoms of hypoglycemia at these numbers) and look forward to getting those numbers in order to earn a dose reduction. Look at Baby's experience with an OD -- at no point did Baby become symptomatic. The entire episode was managed with food and dextrose. Nicole was probably more shaken up than Baby!

I said this earlier tonight in another condo: The dosing protocol we use is based on solid veterinary research. Jill has several of the links in her signature and I can send you pdfs if you want the journal articles or want to share them with your vet. Given the peer review process involved in publishing, this research would never see the light of day if it put an animal at risk. If you want the articles, send me a PM.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i see you raised the dose tonight to a fat 1 unit.
    i'd hold that dose for at least 6 cycles unless the numbers tell you otherwise.
    good luck with the new dose!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.