1/13 Spacey's 1st shot=PMPS 509, +3 131! SHOULD BE SCARED?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Spacey & Ella, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

@7pm Spacey had her first shot of Lantus.

Curious what to expect of it. She is on 1 IE for the first 3 day's.
    She didn't have an infection after all in her mouth. No tooth had to be pulled. Also a plus.
    But that also means, I guess, that her wonky numbers didn't come from an infection but from a lack of insulin.
    I guess... but I don't know.
    Tomorrow during the day I can't test her. But I'm sure it's more than safe to keep the 1 unit. It's a different kind of insulin after all and her numbers are way up.
    The day after tomorrow I'm off work for a week. Whoo hoo... Then I can test her whenever.

Are there specific times I can focus on to start with? Is there a 'regular' nadir?? With caninsulin they said +4, which it almost never has been for Spacey. Is there such a time to be given for Lantus?
    --------
    Edit: Is this normal?? Going so low in 3 hours? She skipped 3 colors.... do I have to be scared now? What do I do tomorrow morning??

2. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Re: 01/13 Spacey's first shot

Welcome Spacey & Ella!!
    I'm not one to give advice, but other more experienced members will be with you soon! The support here is tops.
    Great news about the dental btw. :mrgreen:

3. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Sorry I cant answer your questions, but I hope Spacey does a lot better on Lantus and I hope she feels better soon. Your kitties are adorable!

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Ella Spacey now has to build her shed.

Not sure how long ago 7 pm was for you, but out of interest a +1 and/or 2 and then a spotcheck before bed.

You may or may not see some movement in her numbers (ECID)

Not sure if you leave food out overnight for Spacey (good to leave a snackus) as long as she hasn't eaten around 2 hours before amps (get a true reading in the morning)

Now the one thing that can be befuddling with this insulin is that initially on a dose it does great things to numbers and then numbers start to rise again. This is quite normal and you increase accordingly until you get what we call (hopefully as there are kitty exceptions) a breakthrugh dose and start down the dosing scale. For some this is very quick, others more than a year and beyond (Heather/Jasper a good example).

Fabulous you've got time of work, you'll really be able to get your head round this.
    The usual (ECID) nadir is around +6 so that is another good number to get. This is what you base your dosing on (often alongside rising preshot #'s)

Don't worry if the diabetes is not related to dental, there are lots of different reasons our kitties beome diabetic. By using Lantus your giving Spacey one of (in my personal view)the best chances of remission or at the very least, excellent regulation and best of all a happy healthy kitty :mrgreen:

I'm sure you've been told. As you've written in your message line but you would also put date,Spacey AMPS .....
    ps #'s=numbers

5. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Re: 01/13 Spacey's first shot = PMPS 509, +3 131

Holy cow....
    The nadir is +6 ??
    She dropped already so much in just 3 hours .....

I have no idea now what to do next?? Should I stay up a while? Go to sleep later?
    What about tomorrow morning??
    Oh my god.. I thought it would go slower and more relax, not those giant drops.
    Bit overwhelmed and scared now.

6. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Re: 01/13 Spacey's first shot = PMPS 509, +3 131 !!!!!!

BUMP

7. NinaKat

NinaKat New Member

Hi Ella,

Don't be scared. It's a fast drop but that doesn't mean it's going to continue. I would test again in an hour to see where she's at. And then go from there..

8. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Sent out a pm for assist. Someone should be along soon. Hang in there. You'll be fine!!

9. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Take a breath and relax. And test again 30 from your last test (or now). See where Spacey is, all right?

What food does Spacey have to eat right now?

Best-
    Michele

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 01/13 Spacey's first shot = PMPS 509, +3 131 !!!!!!

Hi Ella,

Did you get another test in yet? This is a huge drop in 3 hours, but not necessarily unusual.

Let's go over a few things to make sure you gave the correct dose using the correct syringe ok?

First off, did you use a U-100 insulin syringe or did you use the syringe that you used for caninsulin?

Also, how much did you give? If you gave 1 unit, it should look like this:

1 unit pic

Please confirm this is the amount you gave and that you used the U-100 syringes.

11. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Thanks!
    I'm so tired. Guess all the emotion from the last couple of day's are also in play. I'm so so tired...
    going to test her in a couple of minutes again.
    Get some very strong coffee first

12. Michele and Esse

You'll be all right, Ella. Hang in there. I know how scary those big drops can be...

Best-
    Michele

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Let's see where she is when you test her. Don't be scared, but please answer my questions so we can be sure you shot correctly. OK - and no worries, there are peeps here with you.

14. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Don't forget you can always feed something to help soften the drop. Offer a snack and retest. Some cats just need a bite to help them onto their surf board

15. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Update:

@ 7pm = PMPS 509
    + 3 = 131
    + 4 = 136 (that's now)

Behavior:
    She is sleeping and purring when I cuttle her. Breathing seems okay, normal. Pinky nose, warm ears.

Food:
    There is food lying around everywhere: Almo Nature (chicken with scampi's); some fish menu stuff. It's all (very) low carb.

Insulin:
    Yes, I definitely gave 1IE. I remember that I wondered whether it was even 1 or just 0.9.

Owner:
    I still feel like watching her. Even though #'s are up 5 points. Is she sleepy because of the dental or is she slipping away? What if she stops eating whilst she still needs it and I go to bed and miss her go into hypo??

16. Michele and Esse

Oh, you blessed woman. She's not 'slipping away', she's tired (like you). A cat's life is all about eating and sleeping, with the occasional burst of energy, and then back to sleep...usually whereever they end up.

You're so scared...and I've been there. I wish I could give you a hug and say "it's all right..." but I can't be. Poor you...it'll be o.k. Some really amazing people will come along and give you help...

While you're still awake, can you say what kind of needles (brand) you're using? Everyone is still so on edge from Nicole/Baby's adventure that we're just trying to make sure everything is right with that. Could you tell us what's on the box?

Hugs, and hang in there...

Best-
    Michele

17. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I'm sorry if I forgot important info. Don't want to wind you guy's all up.

Okay, on the box:
    BD Micro-Fine + Demi
    U100 Insulin
    1/2 u
    0,3 ml

She just got up. Was vocal and is attacking food now.
    I'm going to get some more for her... off I go

18. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You are doing fine. She is not in hypo numbers that you need to be scared. You are right to be concerned about the quick drop, but it sounds like she may be leveling off, which is good.

If you can get another test in 30 minutes, that will show us which way she is going.

As long as you have food out, she should be fine. But let's make sure she levels out before saying you can feel comfortable going to bed. (I know if we said to go now, you wouldn't, ) so let's check in 30 minutes and see what's happening.

And you're not alone, even though it may feel like it. You've got lots of us here and many in the US so it's not bed time for us at all here. ;-)

Good, you have the correct needles, gave the correct dose and now she's eating and taking care of the drop herself. Make sure you have lots of food available and still check her in 30 - 45 minutes.

19. Michele and Esse

Don't worry about upsetting us - I've discovered that it's very hard to upset folks around here. LOL. And after the accidental overdose the other day, we're all just making sure of what we're dealing with; some vets don't teach us all we need to know.

That info on the box is good. It's the right syringe for this insulin, and it's the right 3cc/mls that we use. So we're sure now she didn't get an accidental overdose, and that's really all folks are worried about. Good to hear she's being vocal and wanting some food...

Hang in there. It'll be all right...and you will like these blue numbers sooner than you think. I know the shock of testing and sorta just staring at the meter thinking "erm, what?" I had a day where Esse went from 431 to 48 in just about 3.5 hours. I tested her, and was sitting there, waiting to see the last digit come up (making it 481), and after looking at the meter for maybe 2 seconds, realizing that no, it really was 48. Just sat there, gawp-mouthed...waiting for the invisible digit.

So yeah, Ella, I get it completely. You'll be fine, and so will Spacey. Hugs to you...

Best-
    Michele

20. NinaKat

NinaKat New Member

I'm still here also and I'm about 50 miles away :mrgreen:

I would not let her eat to much because she's has been to the vet. You don't want her to be sick and vomit. So i think it's best to feed a little at a time.

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

ella, there could be 2 reasons or a combination of both for seeing this drop tonight...

1. it's not uncommon to see such a response after the first shot of lantus
    2. anesthesia can have a blood glucose lowering effect.

i presume there was anesthesia involved in spacey's dental today. you'll need to check her bg until you see an upwards trend...

22. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I'm way past bedtime. But no way I would go to bed now. I'd rather fall asleep next to her, borrowing some cat ears from someone so I can hear every tiny change in her behavior.
    She ate a bit, I gave something else, she kept eating. That's good. Am only scared that she will get too sleepy to eat and then the drop goes further down. I guess I have to start to manage my own fear instead of her sugar.

And of course I like blue colors very much. But not the change from black (!) to blue... :sad:
    So now I'm of course worried about tomorrow. What can I give in the morning? You guy's will all still be asleep. And I have no idea what so ever about Lantus.
    Pfffffffffff....

At the same time I'm starting to feel like the biggest idiot. Making possibly a lot of fuzz about nothing.
    You are all so wonderful, staying with me. Even though I'm acting silly...

23. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

She is regulating this on her own. thank goodness. If she doesn't want to eat, she simply wont.
    But I have of course not to force feed her... :roll:

24. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Yes, anesthesia was involved!!!
    I didn't know that those have a blood glucose lowering effect. Thank you for this info!!!

So it's save to give 1 IE in the morning as well?
    Going to check her again in 10 min... btw

25. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Nothing like a baptism of fire to settle you in ;-)

Ella, this is not a scary number so you can breathe. This is an example of why spotchecks are important.

Get through tonight first, we need to see what the rest of her numbers are like and specifically +6 and amps in the morning as to whether you should ease off on her dose. Added to that the fact that you won't be around tomorrow. It's really not to worry.

Do you have higher carb food in your house should you need it (this is a precaution so don't flip yourself out-honestly it will be o.k and there's always lots of beans around)

The rise in 5 points is basically the same number so she may have stabilised a bit. See what the next test brings, plenty here watching you.

Breathe!

26. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

this is why we often shoot a reduced dose after procedures where an anesthesia was administered.

it's hard to say without knowing how tonight will play out. if you're not going to be around tomorrow, you *may* want to start with a reduced dose.

also... i agree with whoever said to feed small amounts. the anesthesia slows down the motility if the system. you don't want spacey to vomit.

27. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

New update.

Now is it +5.
    Number: 151... She is going up again! Who hoo..

She just ate again a bit.. Is now washing herself.

I'm going to test her again in an hour for the +6.
    Next test preshot will be @ 6:45 am, Eastern time...
    After that @ 7 am next shot.
    How much I don't know yet.

Do I have high carb food? Sure. Dr. Hills.. :lol:
    Serious, I have stuff lying around with >20% carb.
    And I have 'Pannekoekenstroop'. That's syrup that goes on pancakes. It's pure sugar. I used that a couple of weeks ago on her and she liked it.

28. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

No, I don't want her to vomit.

29. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Lookin Gut :mrgreen:

Sounding a litte more chilled too.

Just post her number in an hour and you'll know if your clear for bed (food can raise bg slightly for a while). Don't think you should have any problem with numbers.

30. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Should I take her food away now?
    To protect her from eating to much and vomiting and bg rising to much?

31. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Is she a piggy eater or will she regulate her own food intake?

If you think she's had enough you can. Low carb food shouldn't raise her bg drastically.You'll be more chilled once you get a +6, but that 151 was a fine number.

32. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Just came on tonite... You are doing a great job already..We all get scared sometimes, but because your cat is on lantus, you do have control.. :smile:
    When Moonie used to go low, I said our mantra "You are in control, You are in control" as I was taught here--Glad to see that nice number tonite.. You can always control a drop with some low, medium or high carb food..My Moonie is also self regulating, but sometimes she needs help..We are all here to help you--Welcome to lantus land :mrgreen: cat_pet_icon

33. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Wow, Ella you had a scary moment. I am sooo glad to hear Spacey is ok.

34. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land! You sure got your baptism today, didn't you. I just want to say that you handled everything just great! With time, that 131 will be a welcomed sight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.