1/14 Ozzy PMPS 129, +2 155, +4 173- Bounce??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Yesterday

AMPS =86. Holy crap! What the heck happened after I went to bed???? He was at 77. I was expecting to wake up and see a bounce. I hope he didn't get to an uncomfortable place last night.. He is a alive right now. Kind of sleepy but he was sleeping when I came to test him, so was Figgie.

I overslept...we are a little late.

I am not comfortable shooting an 86 with anything. I really want to stall/skip.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

J.

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Can you stall without feeding for 15 min. and check his BG again to see if it's rising? Are you following TR or SLGS?

ETA: Are you home to monitor today with plenty of strips and HC food?

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Haha! Those are always a challenge you shoot. It can be done. I have but it is a wild ride.

See my 12/23 condo if you want to see.

4. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hi Karen, thanks for coming to my rescue!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Yes, I can stall and check again. Figgie is not going to like it, he's sharking me now, but he'll have to wait too.

I don't really know what protocol we are following. It's more of a modified approach I guess. Are you asking because of the no shoot number or reduction, right?

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks Lizzie, I'll take a look.

Isn't 86 a normal number? He would only go down from here so I kind of want to see what he will do on his own. Is that a bad idea?

For now stalling... He's already later than he normally gets tested (by about 30 mins).

6. Doodles & Karen

You really need to pick one. The protocols shouldn't be modified until you have much more experience.

Are you home today with plenty of strips and HC food and able to monitor as much as possible?

7. Doodles & Karen

When was the last time he ate? He could continue to drop because of no food. I'd only wait 15 min and retest and also please answer the question about you being home and able to monitor all day if needed.

ETA: 86 is a very shootable number but you have never shot green before so I'll look for your next test and response.

8. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes, day off. But I'm exhausted...stayed up really late so my "initial" plan was to T/F/S and try to get a few more zzzzs but Ozzy just threw a wrench in that.

9. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I would say we have been doing TR if I had to pick one. I've been following guidance received here on how to handle Ozzy so far.

10. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I have never seen a green PS before. Last night was his first blue PS. I was not expecting this at all.

11. Doodles & Karen

Sounds like you're not wanting to shoot which is fine....it's always the beans choice. I won't be around ALL day so encouraging you to do so would not be the right thing for me to do.

12. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He had several snacks last night, the last one was around 2 am. So it's been around 5 - 5 1/2 hours. He did throw up a little around 3 am. :(

Yes, home to monitor.

13. LizzieInTexas

You can do It! You were wanting an award-right?

Remember you are not shooting the 86, you are shooting what his nadir will be in 4-5 hours.

14. Doodles & Karen

Green preshots are a gift. We do shoot low to stay low but it's nerve racking at first and either he'll surf, drop below 50 and earn a reduction or bounce. There is no way of telling.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  15. Doodles & Karen

Go ahead and get another test, it's been about 15 min.

16. Ozzy Pawzbourne

OK, thanks for your honesty. And yes, I'm not sure how comfortable I am shooting a green pre-shot yet. Last night was its own first (blue PS), so this is just wild.

17. LizzieInTexas

18. Ozzy Pawzbourne

k, BRB.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  19. Doodles & Karen

I'm brutally honest at times ;)

20. Ozzy Pawzbourne

it's been closer to 25 mins. BG=82. He dropped a few more points Figgie is hungry.

21. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Good! I know who to come to when I don't want some fluffy answer! :):woot:

22. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok Ozzy just said he is hungry, too. Lol.:smuggrin:

23. Doodles & Karen

Actually that's flat. I don't think stalling anymore is a good idea as he could continue to drop slightly because of no food. You can shoot the full dose and monitor. You'll need to get a +1 & +2 if you do. You can skip, or try a one time reduced dose that would also require you to monitor. What do feel like doing?

I'm here most of the day, think @LizzieInTexas is and maybe some others. But I can't guarantee I'll be here the entire day.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  24. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Just went into the kitchen....there are still some left overs out from last night. That makes me feel better. My first thought/fear with his 86 test is that he went really low last night after we went to bed and may have been hungry but didn't have any food out. But that's not the case.

My cats are becoming super spoiled. Like come on guys.... there IS food in there right now, but they are begging for a fresh can!

25. LizzieInTexas

Don't shoot if you are not comfortable. You will have more green PS #'s in the future.

I was just having some fun with you.

26. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I think I want to skip... Hope that's not bad...:oops:

27. LizzieInTexas

I will be around for another hour or so, was going to try and catch a nap but won't abandon you if you decide to give the shot.

28. Doodles & Karen

Looks like you're now approaching 1 hour off schedule. You can work your way back by 30min a day or 15min twice a day. Is this something you can do?

Eat left overs...are you kidding! My cats would never :rolleyes:

29. Ozzy Pawzbourne

If he goes up after eating, could I shoot then? Or if you skip, you skip??? What could happen to his next cycle? Will I screw up all the momentum we've gotten to if I skip? He's been GREAT last few days.

30. Doodles & Karen

It's all a learning experience. Go ahead and skip but do get a few spot checks today for future reference. Enjoy the day and get some naps!

31. Doodles & Karen

You'll need to wait 2 hours before shooting after he eats. You don't have enough experience to shoot a food influenced number and then you'd be 3 hours off schedule. He will likely be high at PMPS and could take 6 cycles for the depot to fill back up after a skip.

32. Ozzy Pawzbourne

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:
    Crap...

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  33. LizzieInTexas

Nope, not bad at all and I fully understand.

Be sure to read the sticky on shooting low numbers, read my condo and any others that have shot low so you can kinda get an idea of what to expect (look at their SS's also).

Get some rest. :bighug:

34. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Feeding now before Figgie chews my leg off....

35. LizzieInTexas

Remember... marathon, not a sprint.;)

36. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks!

37. Doodles & Karen

Have you fed him yet? If so it's shoot now or skip.

38. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Jo....if you are going to be there today....shoooooootttttt! I am here to watch you all day.

There is no reason to skip this shot unless you won't be there.

39. Doodles & Karen

Ok, I have to step out. What ever you choose is fine. I'll check back in a bit.

40. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I want to do the exact same thing. I'm sleep deprived right now...o_O:eek::eek: This may be influencing what may be a bad decision to skip.

41. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks Karen!!!:bighug::bighug:

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Oh no....

Hi Marje, thanks for jumping in.

I don't feel comfy shooting green. I pulled my big girlie pants up last night but they are tight and i'm still trying to get the waist to relax! haha.

And to be completely honest, I'm SOOO tired. I really want to go back to bed, at least for a few hours. I could have Hubby watch him, but I would really want to do so in this case. What if he starts coming down on his own? I know you guys say marathon, not sprint....I have seen some cats start to come OTJ just by someone skipping. Now I don't expect that to happen for Ozzy, but shoot, I don't know what is ever going to happen with Ozzy anymore.

43. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Marje, if I shoot- is it same dose????

44. LizzieInTexas

If Marje is here you are in great hands!

45. Marje and Gracie

Yes. Shoot the full dose since you've stalled. I'll watch you today.

46. LizzieInTexas

Grab you a coffee and a 5hr energy! You can do this!

47. Marje and Gracie

If you are too tired, that's ok.

48. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

He will get back on track if you skip..think of it as an accidentally on purpose Fur shot...that made me feel much better the first time I had to skip!:D

Low numbers are super scary to think about shooting at first, I remember my heart seemed to not be beating at all when I did it the first time with the folks here holding my hand. :nailbiting::nailbiting:

The really funny thing is again, it's one of those counterintuitive things with this insulin..shooting a lower number does not necessarily kick the bottom out and send them down an even deeper numbers bottomless well. Shooting lower tends to create an easier slide into a flatter curve.
    Makes zero sense but it's what happens oddly.

I puzzled and puzzled over this trying to wrap my head around it..the nearest I came to maybe getting it was that because you are not starting from a sky high spot, think the highest point the rollercoaster starts from after its climb.., there is not such a drastic drop like when shooting a high number. The Lantus causes a drop but it does not have the momentum it does from higher numbers when you shoot from lower so a flatter more gentle drop..like those easier dips they take the coaster on to slow it down as you approach the boarding station..

That might not be a totally correct technical description but it was what helped me to visualize it as I watched it happening and realized it is true, shoot low to stay low really is how this works best....

(Tho I fully admit I had to put blind and complete faith in the folks here the first time I did, I hovered and watched him take every breath and boy did that meter get a work out!..:rolleyes: he was fine!:cat: Me? Quite a few new gray hairs but a whole lot farther in this learning process afterwards!:bighug:)

If you decide to skip, Enjoy your accidental fur shot day, catch up on some much needed Jammie's time! If you shoot ypubare in the best hands with Marje watching over you!
    :bighug::bighug:

49. LizzieInTexas

TRUTH. Lol:bighug:

50. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, we are an hour late (will make up our time over next few days).....I'm shooting....but just going to do 1U.

51. Marje and Gracie

Jo....we don't shoot a reduced dose when you stall...you will be giving him a double whammy. If you are shooting, I strongly suggest you shoot the full dose. Because of the depot, you will likely see the same cycle whether you shoot 1.25u or 1u.

52. Ozzy Pawzbourne

****. I just gave him 1U. But it was seconds ago. Should I give him another .25???

53. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I don't understand this. Can you please explain???

54. Marje and Gracie

Nope.

55. LizzieInTexas

Here is the link on getting back on schedule
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/getting-back-on-schedule.101059/

Good job! Sleep is overrated with FD ;):bighug:

Look at it this way, if Ozzy earns a reduction it should give you a few days reprieve until he gets used to the new dose! You can sleep then.

This morning PS # shows you the importance of the +11 shot. Like I said, I don't/can't do in for PMPS during the week but really have learned to rely on the knowledge they provide, especially when they are really moving numbers like Ozzy is currently doing.

56. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I tested him seconds before I gave him insulin. He was at 89. He just finished eating so I don't think the little bump in number was food induced.. You will probably say 89 is the same as 82 based on meter variance...o_Oo_O:confused:

57. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I can't do it during the week either because I am rushing home to barely get in the door in time for the +12 T/F/S, and I am selfish in saying I don't want to wake up another hour earlier every morning (I hardly get enough sleep as is), but will start doing this on weekends. Thanks!

58. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, I probably made some mistakes-
    overslept alarm, stalled too long, waited too long to give the shot, gave reduced shot.... I'm a mess.

But I guess I'd rather do all that and try to keep him on insulin since he's had such great momentum lately, than risk throwing his cycles all off.

I have no idea what's going to happen now today...

Ok, here we go......

tumblr_mpj1n6tPsv1qbpx5ko1_400.gif

59. Marje and Gracie

I'm on the phone right now but will post some answers for you shortly :). I think it's a good idea to get a +1.

And these are for you for shooting green!
    IMG_1381.GIF

60. Ozzy Pawzbourne

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:o_Oo_O:eek::eek::joyful::joyful::joyful::D:D

61. LizzieInTexas

Woot! There is your award!!

62. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A small correction...
    Actually, you're not shooting the 86, you're shooting the number a couple hours out... the number he'll have risen to after eating and just prior to onset.

63. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Gonna try to take a quick nappy here (only slept for 4 hours before I got up this am), and be back at +1.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  64. LizzieInTexas

Thanks for the correction. :bighug:

65. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hi Jill, thanks for the feedback. I read the sticky Lizzie sent me and this is exactly why I decided to 'grow a pair' and go ahead with the shot.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  66. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Now you have a pair of Steel! :woot:
    Well done shooting green...now breathe!;)
    Enjoy your cat nap..:bighug:

67. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Yes, congrats on shooting green! Next time (you know there will be a next time!), you'll know to shoot the full dose when you're home and can monitor. :D

I tested Alex way more than necessary in 2009 to create a tool to illustrate what happens when one "shoots low to stay low". Take a peek at her 2009 spreadsheet after you've rested. It's an illustration of how the L insulins are used to their best advantage.

Ozzy threw you a bonus by doing this on the weekend! LOL!

68. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks! And agree to being thankful it's the weekend. If it was a work day, for SURE I would've been skipping.

69. Marje and Gracie

Sorry for the delay and I'm glad Jill posted some info for you.

First, you aren't a mess, you didn't mess anything up. You are tired, worried, anxious about that first green preshot. We all understand. We also know the way a new member often feels when they skip and the number skyrockets and they wish they had shot. ;) And that's ok, too, because it's all a learning experience. And, as I believe Lizzie ...or maybe Karen/Les...said...they get back on track.

I just want to explain stalling and then shooting (my reference to a "double whammy"). When we shoot late, it can act like a reduction. When we shoot early, it can act like an increase. So we typically do not suggest that you stall and also shoot a reduced dose as that "can" have the effect of a larger reduction. But having said that, it's ok that you did! You hold the syringe. Again, it's a learning experience and now you will have data for what Ozzy does in this scenario and data is always good.

The other factor at play, which is hard to take any faith in at first, is the depot. I was never a fan of reduced doses because I think it can give a caregiver a false sense of security. Quite often, because of the depot, the cycle will play out the same way as shooting a full dose. If you see higher numbers, you likely would have anyway...it doesn't necessarily mean it's because of the reduced dose. Likewise with lower numbers. The effects of shooting a reduced dose might not be seen until later in the cycle or even the next cycle.

Consider this about the depot: when a CG reduces the dose, it can take up to six cycles to see what the reduced dose is actually doing. For many cats, it's often four cycles but Gracie was one that I often had to wait six cycles to see if the reduction held or not. Of course, it is dependent on how large the depot is for that cat. If a CG reduces a dose before the depot is really full and before a reduction was actually earned, the depot won't generally carry them as long.

Please let me know any questions you have.

70. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+1= 117 so he went up a little (maybe food spike, maybe not).
    I never took my nappie, so going to now so I can get in as many zzzzzs before the next test.

71. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Need a nappie. Will digest this later.

72. Marje and Gracie

Sounds good! Great job. I left you some info for when you get back up.

Because this could be a food spike and it is your first time shooting green, I do think a +2 is wise. It will tell us if he's going to bounce.

Sweet dreams! See you at +2!

73. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Good job shooting, even if you gave chicken shot!! I was so naive the I shot some pre-shot numbers in the 60s pretty early on. I figured go big or go home! So, 86 today was no biggie. But also bcuz I can be around today, etc.
    BTW, where do you find all of these cute/silly cat cartoons, etc.???

74. Marje and Gracie

While waiting for the +2, I also want to address split dosing.

Under the TR protocol, when faced with a lower number like today, you can shoot a part of the current dose and then 1-2 hours later, if/when numbers stabilize, shoot the remainder. I've seen it done here a few times. However, I advised against shooting more insulin after you shot the 1u for a couple of reasons.

First, even if Ozzy were to go OTJ fast, why stick him with needles more than necessary? Over time, and it does take a while, if you aren't changing shot sites and you are using larger gauge syringes, he could build up scar tissue.

Second, while you know what 1.25u looks like and you can draw it consistently, it actually can look a little different if you are only shooting 0.25u if you aren't using calipers. Whether you can exactly eyeball how 0.25u looks when you've been shooting 1.25u, is a good question. I know I couldn't :joyful: I know Jill could but she has always been great at eyeballing doses. Point is....he could get a little "too much" insulin and if numbers went below the reduction point and you reduced him and then he fizzled.....well...you can see that conundrum. So, best to keep it simple.

Hope you got some sleep!

75. Marje and Gracie

Just checking in at +2.5. Don't want you to think I forgot you.

Beth 73 and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  76. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I put Hubby on Kitty duty. He tested and fed but I didn't post yet. Let me go get the numbers and update. BRB.

Beth 73 and Marje and Gracie like this.
  77. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, his +2 was 111 so the lantus is kicking in. Hubby was on kitty duty while I took a little nap (which is hard for me because I usually don't nap and will want to sleep for 3-4 hours minimum). But I'm back up and back at it. Hubby gave him the other half of his breakfast at +2, this is a normal feeding time for him.

His +3 is going to be coming up in a few moments here. Will test again and post back.

78. Marje and Gracie

Great!!!!! It looks like he might have a "normal" Lantus cycle (which still means active) but not the kind of active you might see with a bounce clearing cycle or if the +2 had been a lot lower than the PS.

Hope you feel a bit more refreshed. See you in a few.

79. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I just google them. I'm building up quite a little stock pile of them to use for the right occasions. :woot::woot: I figured our condos could use some spicing up and some more silly stuff. It's kind of doom and gloom around here a bit with all the worry, fear, and exhaustion...and we need to laugh more, too. I'm a silly person and I like to laugh a lot!! And kitties are silly too!!

Go check out the silly one I posted Chris and China's page last night. We got a good chuckle!!

animated-cat-image-0271.gif

Taffysmama and Beth 73 like this.
  80. Ozzy Pawzbourne

So far so good, +3=101.
    Something weird happened--- he didn't want his post-pokey treat. I haven't been giving them to him as much lately because most times he is fed his normal food right after his poke. He didn't want one the other day either. Could have have stopped liking them all the sudden? He was obsessed with them at first.

81. Marje and Gracie

Nice +3. You might want to give him just a bit of LC and let's see if he will stay flat in high greens.

See you at +4. (We are testing more today than you might have to in the future since he's not had a green PS).

82. Ozzy Pawzbourne

It's weird at his +3 that his number is still higher than his PS.o_O

83. Marje and Gracie

Gracie got to where she also didn't care about a post pokey treat. She loved her treats but didn't want them after a poke.

84. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Understood. Too bad he doesn't like his post-pokey treats anymore...:(:(:(

85. Marje and Gracie

Not necessarily. His AMPS could have been a second dip.

86. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Looking good , Jo and Ozzy :):bighug:.....just checked out the cat gif on Chris's thread....hilarious !!!!! A joyful heart is good medicine so keep it up Jo !!!!

87. Marje and Gracie

Our first three years here, Lantus Land (as it was known then) was party central. Everyone across the FDMB knew our kitties had tons of parties. The posts were hilarious.....it got us through the early days. Even my DH, Mike, was posting and we all had a great time with the kitties always going somewhere in the LL bus. Chefs Stu, Mannie, and Rusty were always cooking up great food. Tess was the amazing pastry chef and my sweet Gracie was the mixologist. The KTSS (Kittens of the Travelling Soup and Spa) always visited anyone who was sick or had to go to the vet, bringing soup and giving spa treatments. We had TA...testaholic anonymous. There was Gracie's Lil Stinka Club and her Friday condo was always infamous for Lupita Fridays. The niptinis flowed at every party.

There are still parties....always a full moon party and OTJ Parties where the menu is always great and FD friendly. Be sure and join in! Civvies are always welcome....but not droolers.

Good one on China's condo.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  88. Marje and Gracie

Ozzy says "take that FD!!".
    IMG_1383.JPG

89. Taffysmama

FD chicken or other? I have drastically reduced the use of these (FD) with my guys. I was using them for overnight snacks in the feeder, and I was re-hydrating generously and breaking into smaller pieces. and they loved them at first, too. But too often I was feeling they were contributing to tummy troubles for both kitties. In fact, I gave a very little in the early AM hours and civ Baby Kitty puked it up a few hours later. I am experimenting with making my own treats. I have not hit a jackpot yet (they reject my creations, so far) but I am going to keep trying things.

90. Taffysmama

We just do post -pokey head smoochies...and sometimes a brushie (Taffy loves)

91. Beth 73

92. Beth 73

Marje, as a FD "youngster "( 5 months) to this FD whirlwind , I must tell you I have never experienced such sincere love, help and compassion anywhere except for my natural family and church family . There is such a sweet spirit about this board...I believe because everything that you all do is based out of love and giving.....and then of course vast knowledge and willingness to share.....it leaves me speechless.....thank u, thank u for being willing to give of yourself :bighug:

93. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Beth 73 @Marje and Gracie Oooh...Beth might need to join!! Hah!:woot:

94. Marje and Gracie

(((Beth)))). That is so sweet and kind. You're welcome. I do it to pay it forward for all the help we got and in loving memory of my baby girl because without FDMB, I'm sure I would have lost her in a few months to a hypo if I'd listened to our vet.

I agree about the people here. I've seen some amazing things. I've seen people with just $1.00 to spare donate it to LLEF to help another member's cat with DKA; I've seen members give thousands of dollars collectively to contribute to the same fund to save the kitty. I've seen members adopt the FD kitties of those who have suddenly passed away. I've seen hugs, love, support at a badly needed time, friendships develop which will last the rest of my life. It is, indeed, a special place. No one...not even your family outside of your husband....will ever understand an FD kitty and the care we give them like another member here.

95. Beth 73

That is absolute truth, Marje.....total understanding, total support, total compassion found here ....makes my heart full to bursting ...

96. Doodles & Karen

Not to clutter this post Marje but it's the first I've ever heard of this. I certainly don't understand how that could be a safe/good option.

97. Beth 73

Whaaaaattttttt?!?!?! Ok, the first move is to admit one has a problem:oops:......and that I am a recovering poke-aholic....there..I said it :nailbiting:......:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

98. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I miss those days! My favorite was always KTSS, send out when any kitty went to the vet to get that "vetty smell" off, so the civvies would stop hissing.

Nice job shooting this morning, Jo. I know you were groggy from lack of sleep and your heart was in your throat, but you did it anyway! Don't worry, you will soon look forward to those green preshots, even crave them!

BTW, Hi, I'm Tricia an I'm a testaholic. ;)

99. Marje and Gracie

It's not clutter....it's education so no worries. I hate to cut and paste but from the latest rendition of the TR protocol (bold is mine):
    From Tilly's:
    It's not a method I ever used or would use and it is not commonly used here (although I've seen it a few times). But I felt it was important to provide further info and not just my "nope" reply which was meant for this specific situation.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  100. Marje and Gracie

There is no such thing. Once a poke-aholic, always one. But you did take the first step!

LizzieInTexas and Beth 73 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.