1/15 Loudogg AMPS 142 - Dosecrease and Bella's Dental

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

January 13, 2020 Condo

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to drop by with a quick update for Lou. I increased him to 0.5u this morning after he was staying pretty steadily in the blues. Of course he flashed some high greens last night in a final rebellion, but I thought he could still use the help of the additional insulin, so I gave him the increase this morning as planned. Hopefully the extra insulin will help remind his pancreas about what it's supposed to be doing and he'll get back to the lagoon in no time.

Civvie Bella's dental was this morning, and it was so hard keeping food from her prior to bringing her in. I've been so worried about this procedure with her weight loss, but thankfully I got the call that she came through okay. She very surprisingly didn't have any extractions, but she had a lot of tarter built up. Unfortunately, she's now down to 8 pounds from 10 pounds in November. While I'm excited that she didn't need an extraction, I'm at a loss to know what's causing the weight loss. How quickly can a kitty lose weight safely? I'm still hoping the dental helps (I imagine it will to a point), but I'll likely have to bring her back in for a vet visit after she's all healed up. I'm at least thankful that the vet said her bloodwork was absolutely perfect, so that's reassuring.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and your kitties surf safely. Sending extra hugs and vines to Judy and her DH (@Judy and Boomer). :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dose for Lou. I'm glad Bella's dental went well. I hope she will eat more now and gain some weight. Sending prayers.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Thank you Amanda. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease Amanda, I hope Lou goes back to low greens very soon for you.
    I'm glad Bella's dental went well and the BW was good. I hope you can figure out why's she losing weight. :bighug:

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck on the dosecrease for Loudog, good call.

Nice that Bella didn't need any extractions. Doubtfully that tartar buildup alone would contribute to weight loss. If there had been a bad tooth that needed to be removed, not eating well would make more sense. Was a thyroid screening included in the BW? Hyper Thyroid could cause weight loss; the average age for Hyper T is around 12 years of age.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda! Good to hear that Lou is doing well even though he needed a bit of a nudge...and that Bella's dental has gone well. A sigh of relief I'm sure!

Hang in there...stop by and see us again soon. We're still here trudging along - doing the daily sugar dance :) ((((Hugs)))) to you and the kids!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

8. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya Bobbie!! It's so good to see you! She's been losing weight for months now despite eating normally (as much as Lou), so we've had her BW done previously. First her liver values were off and she went on liver supplements. When we brought her back to be retested 3 months later, I had them include thyroid testing because I was thinking hyperthyroid as well. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was normal. So far diabetes, hyperT, CKD, and dental issues have been ruled out. Her CBC test was normal, so cancer doesn't seem to be an immediate option/concern. I'm starting to wonder if it's an absoprtion/GI issue, and I'll have to ask the vet about testing for that. Sigh. Other than the fact that she's almost a walking skeleton at this point, she seems perfectly okay, although she has had some diarrhea and random vomiting.