1/15 Tess AMS 241

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

So far so good. Her preshots seem to be going steadily down. She is still on 1u Vetsulin, I got the Lantus yesterday, but the vet doesn't want me to change going into the weekend so I will start on Mon.

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2602

She drank 7/8 cup water yesterday and ate 1 can of EVO 95% Venison, although she took her time about it in the evening. She preferred to eat the chicken in my salad w/ the dressing washed off. I don't think that venison is a fave, so scratch that off the list. Trying the beef today. Anyway, she left quite a bit of her preshot feeding but it was gone by +5 so i put out the rest that I usually give with at +1. It was gone by this morning.

I got a ketone test this am, negative, just had to catch her at the right time. She did have a small accident overnight on the couch. No solids like vomit, but not strong urine smell either. Could it be from the food switch?

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Ann, what is your work schedule? And why did the vet want you to wait until Monday to start lantus?

If you are going to be home this weekend and working during the weekdays next week, I would actually suggest starting lantus tonight (Fri) because if there are going to be adverse reactions (going very low) it will happen, most likely, right away. I would want to be home to get some spot checks and keep an eye on her the first couple of days.

ECID, but Beau dropped into the 30s early on his third shot when I switched from vetsulin to levemir. I am so glad it was Sunday and I was home.

Vet may be thinking that you will need to bring her in if she goes low, but we can help you here. Stock your hypo kit (info on Health for that if you need it) and you would post on Health to get the most immediate eyes.

FYI - dropping low like Beau did is very unusual and I dont' want to be scaring you, but I do think being around the first few days is a good idea.

3. Ann & Tess GA

I'm retired and am home all day most of the time, weekends are usually worse for me as I teach an Adult Ed class on Saturdays. I think she wanted me to wait in case there was a reaction and also yesterday was the first day completely off dry food and she is adjusting to the new diet

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

OK - makes sense then :D

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Yay for getting your Lantus and switching to all wet. :mrgreen:

Might be an idea (if you haven't already) to look in the Lantus isg and read the various stickies. The way you use it and handle it is very different from Vesulin.

You have got your u100 syringes?

6. Ann & Tess GA

I've read most of the LL stickies a couple of times and since I've only been doing this just over a week I don't have too many bad habits to break. :lol:

I couldn't find the half unit marked ones around here, but I ordered some and was able to but a pkg. of 10 for the meantime. I'm starting w/ 1u BID and the new 1/2 unit ones should be here before I need to change doses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.