1/16 Alex AMPS 424 *General Dose Question*

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA), Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Well actually it's not general it's specific but I'm not sure of what to do as far as posting for help anymore so I'm giving this a whirl :smile:
    Based on Alex's nadirs this week except for two, it seem like he should be getting an increase to 4.50 o whatever it should be (the green in the middle of the week i feel was because of an inaccurate dose by me...Alex the Menace was rushing me).

I need opinions on this though because I am not completely sure of the protocol although I have been trying to learn this week.

Other than that, Alex is very hungry, very snarky, very cute, and a big pita and I couldn't love him more cat_pet_icon
    And now HE has taken over the wee wee pads and Jackson has gone to pooping on the floor...<sigh> what is a mother to to? :roll:

I wonder if the Kardasians would move over for me for a few episodes ? All I need is a mansion, a famous husband and enough money to buy a spot on TV :lol:

Morning Everyone! :D

yesterday

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sorry for the poop & pee fest!! Not sure about the dosing, wait for the dose helpers( :lol: )--Looks like you've been on this dose for 6 days..and had some green..Maybe Alex will surprise you again??--What makes you think inaccurate dose??--Like sometimes I think I gave Moonie a sk 1 & maybe it was a full 1.00??--
    See what happens today--Come on down Alex & have a great Caturday!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I concur with Roni ;-)

Hang in there Caryl, and keep updating thru out the day and we'll see how it goes :)

4. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

I would totally watch your show.

I think an increase to 4.5 is right. He's been on this dose for 5+ days, with nadirs most often in the 200's. Especially if that one green was a fluke. The protocol says to hold the dose 5-7 days, so maybe hold it for another day and see what the numbers tell you.

But I'm still learning the protocol too. I'm sure someone more experienced will be along shortly.

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

heh heh, i really need to publish "The Adventures of Alex, The Wild and Wacky Sugar Cat"!!!

He gets CRAZY :dizcat at meal time...
    I mean he is driven by food. I usually give him some food after his test. Shoot and then give him the rest. The night he had green, he was doing his "I want my food" dance on the floor while I was preparing his shot(he stands on his rear legs-the Xobaline worked) and twirls in circles while meowing at me to hurry. Sometimes i step on him by mistake. :eek: This night he was very impatient and kept jumping on the counter and I had hot soup there waiting for ME(how selfish of me)and I was afraid he'd either dive into it or knock it over....so I hurried to get the syringe filled and I wasn't really sure if it was a Fat dose...I kept thinking about it when I saw the numbers that night and why weren't they like that any other cycle?

Alex is a hoot. 2 afternoons ago he decided to investigate the big kitchen trash can where I no longer empty food cans or any food because he scavenges. BUT..I forgot about coffee filters and while I was working on Thursday afternoon I heard a loud C-R-A S-H and went running into the kitchen and there was my little Alex with the trash can on the floor, coffee grinds all around and a filter hanging off of his head with a "what did I do" look on his face :roll:

Naw, how can you yell at that, I laughed and he watched me clean the mess, and him, while he supervised...I only wish I had a camera a the time....Oh well sigh. i'm telling you. Never a dull moment :lol:

6. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Alex's AMPS BGs +3~361
    +6~186
    +9~152

7. Ronnie & Luna

nice +9...does Alex get a snack around that time?

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

given the fact that Alex is apparently breaking rebound this cycle, I probably wouldn't increase on this PMPS. See where he is at +12....

How sure are you that you mis-measured on the day he got green? I really hesitate to recommend a dose increase just a few days after a 52.

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/16 Alex PMPS 386,+2.5~174,+4~92

I can't be 100% positive but it sure looks that way to me and I do know I was rushed that night. I already shot 4.25 tonight as he was in the bloos today so I guess it doesn't count? doesn't his nadir have to be 200 or above for 2-4 days? So much to learn!!!!

Any suggestions for Alex to gain weight? His thyroid tests show that his t4 is normal on the tapizole dose he is on now now. He eats a whole big can of food for dinner and almost that for breffus and snacks all day long (I give them to him). He eats almost 4 cans of FF by himself a day and ff appetizer on top of that and is still hungry. He would eat all day long if I would let him but I don't know what I can leave out...I don't want Jackson to gain what he has lost.

Yes, Ronnie..he did get a snack at +9. I always give him a snack with a test unless it's within 2 hours of PS. Is that what you meant?

PS..I changed to a One Touch Ultra Mini today so I wouldn't be a slave to Walmart..now I'm a slave to Ebay :lol: (...the strips are much cheaper and I found a seller who sent a note to email her privately to get them for less when I'm ready to re-order. I paid the same as I pay for ReliOn strips at Walmart and the meter was for free from one of those online offers)

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

see my response to Libby ..I'm interested in why you asked Ronnie :)

11. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just wanted to note that there is some evidence that the One Touch Ultra reads on the high side. Not that it is a bad choice or anything--just that if your numbers are a little higher than before you might want to consider the meter as a possible explanation.

12. Ronnie & Luna

here I am!! lol

I like the +9 spotcheck and I like snacks at +9 :lol: good data to collect...makes for good pattern searching

u did good.

13. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Luna, is that you? or is it your Mommy? or do you both have snacks at +9 (even though YOU don't have a +9 anymore) I mean hopefully you won't....
    good boy, Luna I didn't know you could type too cat_pet_icon

14. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Hi Lydia...
    Thanks!
    Yes I did notice that as I tested it with the ReliOn to compare several times this week as well as this morning so I wouldn't get all screwed up when I switched.

This morning was actually the biggest difference. The ReliOn read 390 and the One Touch read 434 (from the same drop of blood on Alex's ear). Before that it was like a 5 point difference. It's easier to use though..I think. Wonder why?
    (It really sips the blood up faster and needs a smaller amount in my opinion which is great for Alex because he gets fidgety.... and it's cute)

Basil is a handsome little guy ;-)

15. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

I see some green on your SS this evening... [​IMG]
    Just when you think they need an increase... There it is!!
    So nice to see this.. and hope your next number is just as nice..

Hope your having a great weekend!

16. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Alex PMPS 386,+2.5~174,+4~92

Weight gain is going to be difficult as long as his diabetes is unregulated, as the cells are not able to process nutrients properly. My suggestion would be to focus on regulation for now, and the weight gain will come later on when he is better regulated. Perhaps a food higher in fat such as Wellness or EVO 95% may be more satisfying for him. Higher fat content leads to higher calories per ounce and are more satiating. Could you add extra snacks like that for Alex when you are home that Jackson doesn't get?

There is up to a 20% meter variance allowed by the FDA. The higher the numbers, the larger the difference can possibly be. At 400, you could get anything between 320 and 480 and it would fall within that range. At 80, that would be between 64 and 96. 390 and 434 are really basically the same number in the big scheme of things.

17. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/16 Alex PMPS 386,+2.5~174,+4~92,+6~288?

I wasn't concerned...if the difference had been between 424 and 276 THEN I would have been concerned :D

18. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Hey Paula! Thanks..
    I'm gonna find out now then go to bed!

I'm just hangin' with the homies this weekend..we be chillin' :mrgreen:

Hope you're having a nice weekend too !

19. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/16 Alex AMPS 424*weird numbers tonight***

I wonder if this is a mistake...386,176,92,188 in 6 hours????? weird!(just tested again and got 310)

20. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Nope... just Mr L getting a little panicky from seeing that green number..

Fingers and paws crossed that you will see some calmer numbers in the AM.. ;-)

Check out Pepper's SS on 7/19/08... when you have time..
    The boy could bounce!

21. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Merrick is actually much lower in fat than the Wellness B&C - 42% vs. Wellness B&C's 65%. I would start with 2 extra snacks, at about the same time during each cycle if you can swing it, just so that there is consistency in cycle impact. Do you know about how many calories Alex is eating now? FF LC is approx. 90-95/can depending on the flavor, not sure how much the appetizers are each. How much does he weigh now and what do you want him to weigh? Is he maintaining his weight with what he is eating now, or is he still losing? Do you have a scale you can weigh him on? Baby scales are best, but human scales work too.

Here is a calorie list that I made awhile back that may help you. It is calories per ounce:

Wellness
    Beef & Chicken - 35
    Beef & Salmon - 36
    Turkey & Salmon - 33
    Chicken - 40
    Turkey - 40
    Chicken & Herring - 34
    CORE C&T - 40
    CORE SW&H - 35

Merrick
    Cowboy Cookout - 28
    Surf & Turf - 29
    Turducken - 30
    Grammy's Pot Pie - 29
    Thanksgiving Day Dinner - 31
    California Roll - 33

EVO
    Beef - 38
    Chicken & Turkey - 38
    Duck - 39
    Venison - 43

22. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

THANKS! How many SHOULD he have to GAIN weight????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.