1/16 Max AMPS 301~+3 289~+6 270~+9 337~PMPS 367~+4 229

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday LL
    So nice and warm here.

6th cycle at 5u.
    Almost another yellow AMPS. Darn it. I think he heard the vet say to stop testing him
    cuz he was verry fussy this morning. He came to his chair but really did
    not want to give me his ear. Do they think they are smarter then us (duh, ya they do)
    Oh well, I'll take the 301 but I hope he doesn't plunge from this like he
    normally does at a +3. Maybe I could see blue today?
    Better go give him a tiny snack to keep him level. He is hanging around his food mat.
    Enjoy the Saturday with your kitties!

Yesterday's Condo

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Max AMPS 301

lol! 301?!! Naw, that's really 299! lol
    Close enuff!

ohhh I dunno,,,I'd be ready for that +3 with poker in hand and treat in the other - whooo-ya!

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

301...barely there...sigh...hate that!
    This kitties listen to everything and I have a sneaking suspicion that they use our computers
    when we aren't watching AND our phones too....
    they are just too smart for us Beans...they know it and WE know it... :lol:

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Should have called it a 299 to see that yellow, lol. Almost used another strip.
    Of course they accontant in me just could not "fudge" the number even though
    I am the master of rounding.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm hoping for some yellow by the next test!

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Got it!
    Gave tiny snack at +2 cuz I was afraid of a deep plunge but I guess
    he does that when he start really high. I like these flat decreases.
    Boy would I just love to see a blue square somewhere.

Still waiting to find out what jojo was thinking about yeseterday. Man that suspense
    is bugging me. Oh well.

7. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Max AMPS 301 - AM was c6 of 5U - HD Q?

Hi Randi,

Don't think Jojo will fly back in.... however, she does communicate with others... who are more likely to come back to visit you.

Enjoy your Caturday!

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Re: 1/16 Max AMPS 301 - AM was c6 of 5U - HD Q?

Yeah I know, just hoping. I so would love to know what she had in mind.
    Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Max is doing okay today. Pretty flat yellow.

Enjoy your Caturday too! :D

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Say....what's happening in here, eh? :mrgreen:
    Trying to find a quiet spot to relax....your place and mine seem to be quiet enough....
    LOL
    I got all curious when Jojo seemed to hint at a thought or an idea she had.. and I was so hoping there would be
    something that might help you. Maybe some people somewhere had a talk about it and will come and tell you.

Till then, I guess there's nothing to do but wait. oh...wanna go watch a movie? Or have some coffee??
    Guess we could just sit in our corners and giggle at nothing in particular...LOLOLOL

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Gosh I know about Jojo's little mentions and still on pins and needles about that.
    I wish someone know what she was hinting at.

7th cycle at 5 and my vet is expecting for me to do a full curve (every 2 hours, except the 3 i'm doing) in 5 days from now. Of course she also expects that I won't test like I have been until then. I wonder if I fall off protocol for a bit will it have a serious impact on him.
    He is due for a .25 increase (my guess ). Torn by hat and showing vet the numbers at 5 and say, see, I know what I'm doing, I am dosing by protocol and the board so buzz off.

11. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Randy, Randy.....

You will likely hear from Nostro Jojo or another elf before the end of the night.
    In the meantime, here's a couple of thoughts re: your last post.

Do you feel like you are taking care of Max's diabetes the best way one can? (I can provide the answers if you'd like :lol: )

What do you think you vet will do with you 1 full curve? (hint, am thinking will tell you to adjust the dose, but likely on PS and not on nadir..) Did they say 12 or 24?

If you feel that you have the diabetes under control... than you don't need to 'consult' about diabetes. However, keeping the vetbean in the loop is a good idea. One can always 'amend' the SS if one would prefer....

ps. When you post again, add the new BG and +No. to your subject line.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Re: 1/16 Max AMPS 301 +3 289~ +6 270~ PMPS 367

She didn't say 12 or 24. Last time she wanted 18. No way can I do 24.
    I'm not one of thise that wakes up to test.

I know in that I am doing want needs to be done for Max in his dosing and totally confident.
    I just don't want to be in the situation that I don't have a Dr. to turn to in case there is a problem. I still might like for another one although I do like her and she does listen to me.

I was going to "hide" from the SS and just email numbers differently, I just don;t know about sticking on this dose for that long from now. She wants me nt to test for those 5 days too, that's why. - Internal stress, blah blah...

13. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Max AMPS 301~+3 289~+6 270~+9 337~PMPS 367

Well I think you are doing a good job helping Max, so u do what your instinct tells u and what you are humanely capable of doing.

In the end, you have your data, and are doing the best for Max.

14. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Randi,

Some kitties are just thirstier than others. Possibly we just haven't gotten to a dose which will cause a break in the numbers. However, once kitties get up to a dose of around 5u bid, we have to consider the possibility of something else going on besides diabetes. There are some high dose conditions such as Acromegaly, Cushings, and Insulin Auto Antibodies (IAA) which are thought to be rare, but these conditions appear to be widely under diagnosed and more common than thought. Although you may discover Max may just be a kitty who requires a high dose of insulin, it's time to prepare for other possibilities. If Max should test positive for any one of these conditions nothing much would change except we would know to be more aggressive with dosing. Has your vet said anything about the dose that Max is on?

Here's a link to more info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... f=12&t=375. Hopefully this will give you someplace to start with your vet. Please do feel free to ask any questions you may have - we will all try and help you with anything that may be confusing.

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

the conditions cassandra mentioned are all possible reasons for the response we've been seeing in max. the big advantage to having him tested would be to reassure you that there is a good reason for him needing more insulin than the typical diabetic. there's no reason to panic. if max has any of the conditions, it would give us a green light to treat more aggressively.

please ask any questions you may have. if we don't know the answers, we'll try to find someone who does...

16. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks Jill & Cassandra
    Actually you will be proud of me because I did mention these to the vet on Friday.
    Okay I did not pronounce everything that well but I saw you mention this when Gayle & Shadoe hit 5 as well. I'm not sure how much Shadoe weighs though.

She did not seem concerned about these conditions yet as she acknowledges that at 18.6 pounds, Max is a big cat and that 5 is not that outrgaeous yet. 8/9/10 would concern her.
    She does agree with home testing but not as much as I have been doing. She really wants me to keep the 5u without as much testing and see what his numbers are like after 5 days, full curve every 2 hours(I'll do as much as I can but cannot do 24 - 2 kids and a day job). She thinks that even though he purrs and comes for his test, his higher numbers could be because of that.
    I want to follow protocol but I also need a Dr. that will treat Max if he takes a turn or has any of these condisions that you mention.
    What should I do?? I have been told by my friends on the board that I am doing a great job and do what I need to do but I also need the vet on my side. I will read the link thoroughly.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

glad you brought up the subject up with your vet already. yes, max is a big cat, but what we're looking at is the lack of response. there really hasn't been much change. typically, most vets aren't concerned with these conditions because they are thought to be so rare. dealing with as many diabetic felines as we do, we're finding they are not as rare as most vets think.

i do understand maintaining a good relationship with your vet. it's important because working with your vet is a partnership. however, whether max has any of these conditions or not the numbers should be brought down below the renal threshold. frankly, if max were my kitty, i would be increasing the dose by a half unit after every 6 cycles until the numbers told me otherwise.

just my thoughts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.