1/16 OZZY AM Cycle Reduction Earned; PMPS 120, +1 124, +2 99, +3 89, +4 76, + 4.75 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Ozzy decided to throw me the lowest blue number possible so I would not be as scared to shoot him green my first day back to work. I will not be able to monitor him today, Hubby will have to try for a +1 or +2 and send me info so I don't freak out all day at work.

I wish I had better news on the vomit front, but as expected Ozzy threw up in the wee hours of the morning, around 4 am. He didn't eat his timed food from the auto feeder- I was lazy this weekend and fed them myself so that is back firing on not getting them trained to use it on a schedule. Wonder why he keeps throwing up in the middle of the night, he has been fine the last couple of days during the whole day and evening. Wonder if he would not have if he got that snack?

Tried to sneak him in a probiotic in his food but he wasn't having it. Apparently Ozzy wants to make more work before I have to leave in the mornings.

Capture25.PNG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    HWright likes this.
  2. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Maybe we should start giving the anti nausea before we go to bed...???

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Jo....sending no more puking vines and prayers to you and Ozzy this day :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  4. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Checked the kitty box and I only see normal firm stools in there (unless Ozzy just hasn't gone since yesterday). We just need to get this vomiting thing figured out,.

Taffysmama likes this.
  5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks. We (my carpets, too) need it.

Hopeful for Elmo he goes down this am!! He's doing so good!
    XO

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Uh oh...he's already dropped 20 pts in first hour and I have to leave for work. Crap! I hope he's not going to have some crazy active cycle and I WON'T BE HERE!!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hubby will be here for another hour or so. Should we just put out HC food as a safety measure since we won't be home? I have a feeling this is going to be a very different cycle compared to the AM cycle on the 1/14th

Crap...feeding him some more LC now to slow his roll.

Happy Monday!

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

What is the vomit like? Sorry if I missed where you already said..froth?
    Will leave the food advice to the others..
    But if those early tests show him dropping fast and low you can abort the cycle with HC if nobody can monitor..

8. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Ozzy, why are you stressing out your bean?! Since you can't monitor, I would leave out some HC for him. Better to be high than to low and it's still early in the cycle. Be safe today Ozzy!

saltycat likes this.
  9. Gussie's mom (GA)

Are you feeding any FF? Makennas mom and a couple of others have mentioned sudden throwing up and it looks like they were all feeding FF..I don't know if it's just coincidence
    You feed raw right?

10. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Oh wow, thanks for your feedback. I had asked question on another thread about others having issues with FF but didn't really get any feedback. Thanks for letting me know. We were mixing raw together in most of their meals, but I didn't get any more this week. Ozzy is still kind of fussy about it sometimes and since he was being picky, I just wanted him to stick with one thing. I plan to go back and get some rad cat this week. I just can't imagine him throwing up raw food all over the house!!!

11. Ozzy Pawzbourne

So Hubby is actually going to be home most of the day since it's a holiday and can do some more tests. YA. Whew! He is going to get a +2 in a moment.

12. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Oh crap... +2= 53!!

13. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hubby is giving some gravy lovers now. That's too low of a drop at +2. I'm freaking out at my desk here! Guys!!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

14. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I had a bad feeling about today! OMG. Ozzy might be earning his first reducie today! And I'm not there!

15. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I am SO happy hubby is home! I agree, he is on a mission for a reducie!! :cat::cat:

16. Ozzy Pawzbourne

You know what...I had a feeling about this. I was just talking to Hubby on the phone on the way in to work and said exactly THIS: "Why do we have to wait for a kitty to get to a low green number before we reduce his dose? Can't we pay attention to his patterns and see that he is starting to trend downwards, and then make a calculated guess to give a smaller dose. If he doesn't hold that dose well, you can always go back up, but I don't understand why we have to have kitty go to a near hypo episode before h earns a reduction".

I had a GUT FEELING today (this morning today) that he was going to earn a reduction!

17. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Ozzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! There are other ways to get your bean's attention to let her know that you miss her after the long weekend!!!!!!

Up now!

18. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Just realized in my rush to get out of the house, I forgot to give him his probiotic. He wouldn't eat it in his food so was going to syringe it to him afterwards and forgot.
    untitled.png

19. Gussie's mom (GA)

Remember to breathe....congrats on the reduction!:D He's going to be fine, even if you have to help hubby steer him from afar you got this! You know him, you know what brings him up...as they told me, you have the tools and you have the knowledge ...and capable help!;):bighug:
    ETA: you hold the syringe re deciding what to shoot..but remember rules of the dance are there for a reason....;):)

20. Ozzy Pawzbourne

The last few times it's been a nasty brown mess (liquid food). I miss the kibble vomit now. It was much less messy!

21. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yuk! Did it start with any particular flavor/brand/variety? I just am seeing folks having trouble with vomiting and it seems kind of more widespread than in times past..maybe I'm overly sensitive to noticing it but it's kind of ringing a bell in lots of posts lately

HWright likes this.
  22. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're not the first one to wonder the same thing. It will be interesting to see what people have to say about it. Of course THIS would be the ideal way to earn a reduction:
    "reduction *earned* when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) and stays under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week and following TR."
    So far it's hard for me to imagine Uncle earning it that way because he's still so bouncy but IDK. He's only gone under 50 because/when he's clearing a bounce.

HWright likes this.
  23. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks, Gussie's Mom.
    Just a little stressful and hard to concentrate at work knowing kitty dropped that low in 2 hours. I'm literally STARING at the clock waiting for the call back from Hubby with the next test. It's in 3 mins. Poor Hubby- he is there doing this by himself. I was supposed to go into a 2 hour classified meeting in 20 mins and would not be able to give guidance to Hubby over the phone (or know where kitty is at!), but I got lucky and was able to get out of it so I can be by the phone and guide Hubby.

24. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hang in there....:bighug::bighug: ( sometimes Karma smiles on us!;))
    ETA did you leave him the directions and access to the board in case work insists you step away from the clock and phone watch?:bighug:

25. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hum...that's interesting. We do tell most people to get FF. ???
    I went a little to gung - ho about 2 weeks ago and got a ton of food of Dr. Lisa's list. Some high quality, mid quality, lower quality, and raw. Gave that to both kitties for about a week or so and then he started not doing so good. Figgie is fine though. He mostly vomits at night in the wee hours of the morning. He is now only eating Chicken FF.

26. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Great that the hubby can be around to monitor and test. That would relieve a lot of my worries, it's when they are home alone I worry.

On the reducie's, Jack has earned a few, and for the most part they come out of nowhere. I've had him stuck in pinks and yellows, and a green shows up suddenly. If only they were more predictable it would be easier to see a reduction coming.

Glad you were able to bail on the meeting and get the updates from home on how Ozzy is doing. Hopefully he starts to surf soon with a little food onboard.

I agree, my boy swallowed his kernals whole, made cleanup a breeze. When he decided radcat didn't agree with him anymore it was not nearly as nice to cleanup.

27. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+2.5 = 61. Ok, he's coming up a little. Hubby is giving him a little more LC food now (told him to hold off on the gravy) and will test in 30 mins and post back. Hubby is being the BEST Hubby ever right now. This is better than fixing the leak in the roof!

28. Gussie's mom (GA)

I just noticed it was coming up. I believe there was some discussion on FF chicken not agreeing with some cats, I stopped giving it to Gussie after reading that because I was worried it was contributing to his gut issues

29. Ozzy Pawzbourne

OOhhhhhh!!.... No Bueno!!

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  30. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hello @saltycat ! Glad to see you! I need to pop out, you going to be around for a bit?

31. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Oh NO! I just bought like 3 boxes of Chicken ONLY to try to get him to stay on one type. Dang! :facepalm: I had made a comment awhile back that I was wondering if it was the FF.

32. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I just went out yesterday and got some alternatives to FF for HC and MC situations. Although Uncle loves it (a little too much) I always think he looks a little off the next morning after I've had to use it. Also, he's not as gung ho for his regular raw food after that either. I bought some food without all the extra "stuff" that's in FF.

33. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What kind?

34. saltycat

yep, trying to avoid work and doing a good job at it currently:D:D

35. Gussie's mom (GA)

Was probably when that discussion was happening! Maybe yours is one I'm remembering. Seemed there were others too..there have been recent ones in the past week or so...yeah, I had just done that too! I literally went and did what you did when I was desperate to get Gus to eat, took that list and cleared out Petsmart ...I literally have a car trunk full of food that is either going back or will keep the rescue here in town in canned food for a good 6 months..good news is I can tell them to give it to their diabetic cats

Beth 73 and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  36. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Sorry!!!! :oops::oops:
    Thanks for your support Saltycat!

37. Gussie's mom (GA)

IMG_5760.JPG
    Some folks were using this one with good results I read

Beth 73 likes this.
  38. saltycat

Looks like the gravy bumped him up a little bit, sometimes it takes 30-60min for the full effects of the carbs to kick in. Good job on the hubby getting the tests in for you while you are away.

No apology needed, not in the groove as far as work goes, so plenty of time to cruise the boards.

39. Gussie's mom (GA)

Leaving you in great hands!

Beth 73 and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  40. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you, we will get some of that.

41. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks! Appreciate your support!

42. Beth 73

YEAH HUBBY :bighug::bighug::bighug:...

43. Beth 73

AND, Elmo was 77 @+3...think higher number was poop drama related...he is such a drama king at times...;):rolleyes:

44. Ozzy Pawzbourne

...waiting with baited breath for the phone to ring.... :nailbiting:

45. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hahah! Ya for the 77!

Beth 73 likes this.
  46. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Could you imagine if I had to walk away from my desk right now and go into a classified environment where I could not have my phone or access to the outside world for 2 hours!!! SOOO glad I got out of that 2 hour meeting!

Beth 73 likes this.
  47. saltycat

Maybe bookmarking the site and giving a quick rundown on how to use it would be good in case the hubby needs some help when you are not available. No need to follow all our nuances, if he needs help and you are not around, any post in L&L forum will get some attention and help.
    I know right where you are, I had to travel to setup a new site out of town, right when my boy decided to pull some low number stunts over the summer. Some good instructions and a lot of text messages got us through it, but I fully understand how nerve wracking it can be waiting for the phone update.

As long as Ozzy stays flat or rises all should be good. At this point, monitoring is the most important thing. The HC food will wear off and we want to make sure he can keep his numbers up or he gets another HC snack.

ETA: just saw the post about some LC at 2.5, lets see if that helps keep him surfing. When they are in lowish numbers, LC can help them surf. We just want to make sure not to fill him up too much in case the HC needs to come back out.

48. Beth 73

Oh, Jo..was hoping and praying you'd get out of it. And if your hubby is anything like mine( and i bet he is), he will probably be calm, collected and logical:cool: about what he needs to do for Ozzy. Your DH will do brilliantly :bighug::bighug::bighug::cool:

49. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Here's the rundown so far with an update:
    AMPS= 101
    +1 =84
    +2= 53 (HC given)
    +2.5= 61 (LC)
    +2.75 = 55 (HC)

He is dipping back down a little. Hubby is giving him some more HC now. He's not even 3 hours in yet and he doesn't nadir till around +5.

Hubby said Ozzy is very excited to be eating gravy!:facepalm:

Hubby will be calling me at 10:40 (30 mins) for the next update.

Beth 73 likes this.
  50. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. Beth 73

:joyful::joyful::joyful:...hubby may be his new favorite after this day is over:cat::cat::cat:

52. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What qualifies you for a reducie? Does it count if we steered with food to keep away from low green??? Ozzy was 3 pts away fro low green and only 2 hours in. I'm sure he would have dipped lower if Hubby didn't intervene.

53. Ozzy Pawzbourne

No Way! He LOVES his Meowmy!! Did you see those little lover boy eyes for me in his photo yesterday. He's as smitten with me as I am with him. But he loves his Daddy, too!

Beth 73 likes this.
  54. saltycat

:D:D:D

Good idea, looks like the HC is keeping him from dropping lower, but it might be a long day for the hubby making sure Ozzy stays out of shark territory. Ozzy might be getting a lot of naughty food today. With him being over 50, testing every 30 min should be good unless he starts dropping lower. It takes a little bit for the carbs to kick in.

55. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I seriously can't even focus right now. This is awful!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh:

56. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks, sounds good. I told Hubby to report back in 30 mins.

57. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I think you're good. At least your DH is home, knows how and is willing to test, feed etc.!

Ozzy Pawzbourne and saltycat like this.
  58. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

That's an awfully good Hubby!! C'mon Ozzy... get back into that beautiful green water, stay away from those sharks and get on the surfboard!! It's not nice to make mommy worry!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

59. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ya, it's like guys' day at home where they get to be bad and eat all the crap food while I'm away...

60. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy and Hubby said to thank the AWESOME KITTY COMMITTEE for their support this morning! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Gill & George, Beth 73 and saltycat like this.
  61. saltycat

I would be worried if no one was around to check on Ozzy, since you have a great helper at home who can test and feed as needed it is at least a little less stressful. Great job catching the unusual cycle early and that the hubby was able to stay around the house to keep an eye on the boy.

The last few days have had a lot more blue then the previous week. Since he hasn't been on insulin too long, the pancreas might be healing a bit now that the Lantus is taking some of the pressure off it. As it heals, it will start helping out more and some reductions may be in order. I had brought up the same question about reductions and food, I can't recall what the veterans thoughts were right now. Like you mentioned he would have been in the 40's easily without some food steering.

62. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I would have given him MC, at the least, at +2.5. It's early in the cycle and he will likely continue down, as you've seen.

One way to keep him from getting too full is to give him HC gravy at one feeding and after he comes up a bit, the next feeding would be MC food. That way he's not getting too full on food at every feeding. The gravy will bring him up and the food will help him stay up a bit without overcarbbing him.

We don't give reductions based on whether he would have gone below 50 without the food. Reductions, for newly diagnosed cats, are earned by:
    • Going below 50 one time for a newly diagnosed cat where TR protocol is used
    • Seven consecutive days of normal numbers falling mostly between 50-100 where TR protocol is used
    • Going below 90 one time for a newly dx cat were SLGS is used
    However, and not in accordance with any protocol or method, we also have encouraged a CG to give a reduction any time the CG is fighting to keep numbers above 50 with constant feeding of HC food over several tests with no real rise in numbers and if a schedule, where the CG is away from home for long hours and cannot test, causes the CG to start skipping shots to keep kitty safe.

63. Ozzy Pawzbourne

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: We can't always be home in the future in times like these. What do you do? Even if you leave timed food in the feeder, it only goes off every couple hours. We've already given Ozzy steering foods 3 xs in last hour or so to bring him up.

64. Ozzy Pawzbourne

If he continues to drop or stay same at next test, what is next step? No food and see where he goes in 30 mins?

65. Ozzy Pawzbourne

That's in 2 mins. Hubby should be calling any moment for an update on BG and for more advice.

66. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+3.5= 59. What's next???

67. Marje and Gracie

For that 59, I would feed another tsp or so of MC and retest in 30 :) DH might be busy today!

It would be good to get two fairly stable numbers closer to mid cycle before we don't feed or go to LC so with the MC, if he comes up a bit, we can perhaps give him a food and pokey break.

68. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Here's the rundown so far with an update:
    AMPS= 101
    +1 =84
    +2= 53 (HC given)
    +2.5= 61 (LC)
    +2.75 = 55 (HC)
    +3.5= 59. What's next??? This was 30 mins from last feeding.

69. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hubby is going to stick around longer. He's off today but was planning to go out to tinker around for their next job.

70. saltycat

I would continue with the gravy. He is staying pretty flat even with the high carb food.

71. saltycat

Another option is to use a little less gravy and add a few drops of honey or syrup. This can help from filling them up too much. The last thing you want is a cat who is too full.

72. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, Hubby just started to give him some more HC on his own. We only have one can of MC left (tried to get more at walmart last night and the kind we normally get was out and didn't have the food list on me. Tsk Tsk..won't do that again). We will save the MC can for tonight in case we need it and the HC one is already open.

73. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Are we at honey/syrup stage yet???

74. Beth 73

God bless Hubby...his baptism by fire today...what a great Man U have,Jo :bighug::bighug::bighug:

75. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He loves his little bunny, too! Bunny is one of many of Ozzy's nicknames.

76. saltycat

Not in the sense that his numbers are too low.
    It can be used as a tool to get more carbs in less food if you are concerned he might be getting full from all the tasty food.

Right now 50's are a good place to be if he continues to surf. 30's or low 40's I'd be breaking out the syrup to try to get him to come up quicker.

77. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-grandmas-chicken-soup.php 20.7% carb for HC
    http://www.weruva.com/catsitk-pumpkin-lickin-chicken.php 12.4% for MC
    In thinking more about it, I prefer "making" my own MC using a mix of his normal raw with some HC to get the carb %.
    That way I am not having him eat something 100% foreign to his stomach.
    You can "make" your own MC buy mixing your HC (if you have more of that) with the LC food he normally eats

78. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I understand. This is a GREAT tip! Thank you!
    Ok, I will let Hubby know to be wary and what to do if we get there.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  79. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Great tip! Thanks!

80. saltycat

More for future reference, he seems to be doing pretty good as long as he doesn't get too full to eat. It looks like Ozzy hits his nadir between +4-6 so hopefully he will start to surf on his own without more food soon and the hubby can give the ears a little break from all the pokies.

81. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I hope so too! Thanks! :bighug:

82. Marje and Gracie

You want to be careful about using too many carbs when he's in safe numbers and that is why I suggested MC over HC. Feeding too many carbs when kitty is in safe numbers, especially gravy based ones, can result in two things:

• You totally lose duration
    • Cat gets sick

83. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Uh oh.... Hubby says he thinks he doesn't feel well now. He's laying on the ground and won't let Hubby pick him up and he is hissing at him. Thinks maybe his tummy hurts. I'm going to loose it over here at work! OMG!!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

84. Ozzy Pawzbourne

We might be there right now...see above post!

I'm sick to my stomach now, too! :(:(:(:(

85. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hubby is getting frustrated and mad at me over the phone. I'm trying to talk calmly to him. Told him he will need to get another test Ozzy. It's imperative. Ozzy gets fussy with him sometimes when he tries to test, this has never happened with me. But then Hubby gets frustrated and mad and then gives up and I take over. I cannot take over today.

86. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+4=42!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hubby is getting the honey out and rubbing on his gums right now.

88. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What number do we go to the vet? It's 2 mins down street, emergency hospital. I need to let Hubby know now.

Guys, I'm freaking out right now! I'm at work and we have never had him go this low and I"M NOT THERE!!! I'm trying not to cry!! I'm like shaking here!

89. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

With that 42, do you think Hubby can check in 20min or so?

90. Marje and Gracie

Take a deep breath. He is still safe at 42. Do you have a small syringe that DH can syringe Karo into his mouth and retest in 20.

saltycat and Gill & George like this.
  91. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes. He is going to do that exactly. 15 mins.

92. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes, but he is just rubbing on his gums. Want to get it into him the quickest and he hates the syringe.

93. Ozzy Pawzbourne

My stomach is in knots. Hubby just had to tell me that if he was at work today, our cat would have probably died! OMG!!! :(:(:(:(:(

94. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

You are getting solid direction here, your hubby is doing the right things (other than speaking the unspeakable out loud-- but hey, he's probably pretty shaken up at this point too), if Ozzy needs to take a trip to the vet it is really really close, it's all going to be OK. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

95. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hubby said he has diarrhea now. Poor Kitty.

96. Marje and Gracie

Not necessarily. Lantus is a much gentler insulin than vetsulin. There have been very, very few cases of really hypos.

97. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He is crying a lot now, I can hear him through the phone. Never heard him cry like that. Hubby is stressed wants to take him to vet. He is testing again now early.

98. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I'm sick to my stomach...close to tears. Hubby is so stressed too, I can hear it in his voice. This is just awful! I work an hour away.

99. Marje and Gracie

Jo

If he won't let DH test him, if he's got diarrhea, if he won't eat, it might be time to get him over to the vet. We don't want him vomiting st these numbers. Tell him to rub more Honey on his gums and go.

100. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He is eating again a little, LC with a few drops of honey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.