1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136 +5 99 +9 130 PMPS 155

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Slashy & Rick, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Yesterday viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2654

SS http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... haXc&hl=en

Off to a good start. Brought his dose down to 4 last night and this am.

Some last night asked if he ate dry food.. had his last morsel approx Oct 21. Canned since.

Someone also asked why his dose is so high.. he has been diabetic for a couple years now however we only started home testing and took him off dry food in late oct. Prior to that he was on 6 units, only getting tested at the vets. You can see the progression from there on the spreadsheet.

Someone also suggested cutting dose down to 1/2.. No way. this is the first time we have seen decent number consistently since we started. Why would I do such a thing?

Someone mentioned fluids because of the pancreatitis.. Have discussed this with the vet. She said that would be the next step. he does get plenty of water. He only eats canned food and I always add water.

thank you!

2. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130

Hi Rick,
    I mentioned all those things. When I recommended half dose, I said specifically to do 1/2 a dose if yesterday morning were to repeat itself. Only then.
    Ok I understand the several years diabetic thing, that makes sense.. and glad to see he's off dry food. :)

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Very good start for Slashy today!
    It's such a good thing that you have a good relationship
    with your vet....that's great that you have that!
    Hoping that Slashy and you have a good day today!

4. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Hello Carolyn.. I understood what you meant on the 1/2 dose... Someone else suggested going to 1/2 unit for a few days.. that is what I am referring to.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... haXc&hl=en

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136

wow, I'm gone for a coupel of days and Slashy is suddenly blue and green!

Lots of people post opinions on message boards, you need to consider the experience of the person who is posting to you as you make your decisions. You already know that though. :smile: IMO you're right to not cut back the dose too much, why would you want to lose the breakthrough you just made? Slashy's dose is high compared to some cats, but it is doing good things for him so it doesn't matter what is right for other cats, just for him. :smile:

6. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136

Hello.. Not sure how long you have been away.. He has pancreatitis. See previous posts. Amazing that his BG numbers have been so good during this ordeal.

7. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136 +5 99

Does his great numbers seem bizarre to anyone?

8. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

I just think it is wonderful that you are so devoted to Slashy. He is getting great numbers. His ss shows the progress you have made. Please keep us informed. GO SLASHY. Also, snowflakes for a quick recovery for slashy. Have a great caturday.

9. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

If he was in pain before due to the pancreatitis and is now on pain meds, that could account for the good numbers. Supportive care for pancreatitis can do wonders.

10. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Yep I agree with this. It's probable that he's had pancreatitis all along, as this doesn't usually just pop up out of nowhere. Chronic pancreatitis can range in severity, from attack to attack, and many times an owner won't even know it's happening. I often knew only because bg's were creeping even with no other outward signs. Fluids also go a long way towards flushing the system, so it's quite likely he will creep up again to a more normal range for him as the days go by, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't. Beautiful surf today :)

11. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136 +5 99 +9 130

I am glad to see things balanced out for you and Slashy. I was very nervous for you at the 5 units and if it had been me I would have dropped it down to a much lower dose, and in this case it looks like I would have been wrong. I just know I would have been totally freaked out and it might have taken another day or two to get back on track.

Could you tell me how you decided to go to 4 units. As I mentioned I would have been totally off base here, but I am interested to know what your thought process was when deciding what the next dose would be.

12. Slashy & Rick

Slashy & Rick Member

Re: 1/16 Slashy AMPS 130 +2 136 +5 99 +9 130

hello.. well, prior to home testing he was very unhealthy at and high at 6 units. See spreadsheet..http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... haXc&hl=en in october. Everytime he would show a breakthrough i would panic, decrease the dose and he would go right back up again. keeping that in mind, him being at 163 at pmps after getting no shot in the am i feared going too low could set him off. While the vet said to cut in half (2.5) I felt that that would be too light. I knew I would be checking and feeding him I went w/ a 20% decrease to 4. Not exactly the most scientific reasoning, I realize. Went with my gut, knowing i was able to keep an eye on him.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What pretty numbers for Slashy today. No way I would consider them weird! In light of Cassandra's noting that pain could have been elevating Slashy's numbers, I'm hoping that as the pancreatitis resolves, you keep seeing numbers like this.

I'd also echo what Libby posted. You've been here long enough to know who has the wisdom of considerable experience and having done lots of reading to support the suggestions they make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.