1/16 Tess AMPS 226

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Her numbers still seem to be going down. I've been following some threads about glucose meters and am getting concerned again about my choice. It isn't the TrueTrack or the TrueResults that people have had low readings with, but it is made by the same company although it uses different strips. Mine is True2Go by Home Diagnostics, I saw the same one on Amazon as Sidekick (same manufacturer).

I think that I'll get a OneTouch Ultra Mini for a cross reference. The strips are pretty expensive, but I found 50/$25.40 on Amazon, which is about half of the normal cost. From the reviews they seem to have been available at this price for a couple of years. They are "mail order" in a grey box not blue.

Still working on figuring out the right food. She didn't like EVO Beef much until I added some FF chicken. Must have gotten all the chicken off the top earlier, because she didn't eat more overnight which could be why her AMPS was 226. I found some Filedae grain free, but it had potatoes as about the 6th or 7th ingredient, everything before is meat. I didn't see the company on Binky's list at all. Is anyone using this? I need to learn more about figuring out the carbs in food. I've read DR. Lisa's articles, but really need to sit down and study the formulas.

Should I consider doing a curve tomorrow before switching to Lantus on Monday? Or is it too early in her treatment and just be needless sticking in the ear?

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Meter: find ONE and stick to it - you will drive yourself crazy trying to "cross-reference" between two different meters.

I have the True Track and I think it is great. Meters are design to monitor and show trends. When they err (and they all do) it is usually lower on the low end (so BG is higher than shown a bit) or higher on the high end - the variance won't make a difference in dosing decisions.

It's ok to have a different meter as a spare, but not to try and use them both alternately.

I would suggest posting your food questions on health to get more eyes. I use Friskies and Fancy Feast with no issues.

You could do a mini curve tomorrow - checking +2, 4, 6 - or - 3, 5, 7. Or get some spot checks bracketing when you think she is at her lowest. It is good to knkwo how low she is going and with a PS in the low 200s, she may be getting very good (under 100) nadirs.

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Thanks, you're the first to say anything reassuring about these meters. Someone just posted with results that were averaging over 150 points low on a True Results (again not the same meter or strips, but the same manufacturer) What i plan on doing is get a OneTouch UltraMini, compare to see what the variance. Once I know that, I can use the True2go with a better understanding of whether or not I need to make an allowance to understand where Tess truly is. Unfortunately, I had just ordered 100 strips and I can't really afford to throw them out. This is all really adding up.

I had been feeling , OK I'll just keep going as I am, but all this stuff about the meters just scared me I guess.

4. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Wow... those numbers are so nice... why should you even consider to switch. :mrgreen:
    Really.. I wish Spacey would have such nice flat curve's. Oops.. am not on caninsulin anymore. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.