1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Need Advice Plz*I'm Good

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA), Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

And this is on one touch ultra mini where HI is over 600. ReliOn was over 500 (which could have been the same thing but I never thought of it that way). Now I am depressed..... (I know I know Cassandra..the higher the number the greater the span between meters and it's basically the same ) :D

Morning everyone :smile: btb for me for a bit

Alex's numbers are so odd.

yesterday

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI UGH

Well, that btb sounds so good... :roll:

I always say i am going to do that but then I get involved with visiting a few more condos and then, well...time has passed so I never get to do that... :YMSIGH: I am so tired too.... :YMSIGH:
    Well, maybe just a couple more condo visits...and then I will try it myself....
    I hope you enjoy it at least.... :thumbup

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I'm sorry that you and Alex are looking at a HI this morning. Perhaps you can pretend your meter was just greeting you? Seriously, I just wanted to offer a little support. It will get better! There is so much collected knowledge here and it is shared so generously.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Good morning Caryl!

wat up wit using two meters? gonna drive yurself crazy, u know - - I know u know that. lol
    But anyway, you had asked the following in yesterdays condo, you can always copy and paste from previous day to the new day - like today!
    Like here:

You said/asked Cassandra:

No, I don't know how many calories he gets. I just feed him between meals whenever he gets a test. Like two teaspoons full. He doesn't weigh any less I don't think but he weighs too little. He weighed between 9 and 9.5 where he was 13 or 14 before his dx (that was when he was also eating A LOT frm hyper T but Alex has always been a very active(zoom zoom zoom) cat.. I'd like to see him get up to 11 if possible. I'll weigh him with me today...
    THANKS! How many SHOULD he have to GAIN weight????

Hopefully she will come by and see your concern about the food stuff, so hang in there, and chin up!
    Today is a new day and I'm gonna cross Luna's paws for u and Alex :)

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

6. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI,+2.5~525,+4~505,+5~433

:(

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Perhaps you want to edit your main subject line to ask for eyes?

8. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Good Idea thanks :D

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Dose Suggestions.again!*

Alex starting to smell acetone at AMPS +5. He has probably been over 300 for about 12 hours now which is right on track. Did blood ketone test which was 0.6 which is equivalent to between negative and trace...
    what to do? R or no at +6?
    Should I raise dose tonight?

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Dose Suggestions.again!*

Alex starting to smell acetone at AMPS +5. He has probably been over 300 for about 12 hours now which is right on track for him. Did blood ketone test which was 0.6 which is equivalent to between negative and trace...
    what to do? R or no at +6?
    Should I raise dose tonight?

11. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

BUMP

how long till +6 comes around, time frame wise?

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Need Advice Plz*

Have not given Alex any R at all since last week and I really don't know if giving it to him now will hurt him but I don't want the ketones to build up...there is evidence that this could happen today.

13. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Need To Lower BG!*

Pick one meter, and throw the other one out the window. Seriously. There is no need to test with 2 meters right now - it is not helping.

Though this is just rebound from last night, I would raise the dose to 4.5u. You need to aggressively be increasing the Lantus and monitoring like crazy. You've always been a great tester, so keep that up. The only problem I see is nights like PM of 1/14 - you stopped testing when Alex was dropping 100 points an hour or so. Can't do that. Have to at least test until the drop slows and manage the cycles with food. If you can try and soften the drops with food, then maybe the bouncing won't be quite so bad.

For weight gain, I would start by adding about 100 calories extra per day and seeing how he handles it. That would be about 1/2 a 5.5 oz can of Wellness B&C (a little less). I would split into 2 meals, or 4 - just try and be consistent cycle to cycle. Maybe give him the extra food at each shot time (that may help slow the initial drop).

Read Dr. Lisa's website on Feline Obesity here. Though it is dealing with weight loss, it will still help you determine calories needed for gaining and other weight related factors.

14. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that increased food/calories/weight gain, will very likely also require increased insulin as you go along. Focusing on regulation is the best way to get him to gain weight for right now - follow the protocol to a tee and increase every time it calls for increases. Test, test, and test. As I said last night, weight gain will be more difficult until he is regulated, so perhaps the added fat will help him feel more satisfied until that can happen.

15. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex AMPS HI *Need To Lower BG!*

PS thanks Ronnie :mrgreen:

16. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

I totally know how frustrating that "HI" can be, as well as the discrepancy between meters. What I can tell you from my experience is that the OTUM reads higher than both Relion Meters that I have. About 20 points higher than the Micro and 40 points higher than the Ultima.

I just switched meters too and in an effort not to reflect back on the numbers from the previous meter I created a new spreadsheet so I only have to look at the new numbers. I know many people would have like me to just make a note on my ss, but for me I needed to get rid of those numbers. I still have them available for viewing, but I just can't look at them. I need to focus on the new meter and not worry about where we were with the meter.

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sh*t Caryl,

What is going on over here?!

I used the OTU meters and loved them. I noticed that there was only a 1 point difference between the regular OTU and the mini. So, if you pick up another mini or a regular, you ought to be able to use them interchangeably without concern.

I also found a mail order place for the strips - www.overstockdrugstore.com. I don't know how their prices and selection are today, but a year ago, it was the cheapest at the time.

Hopefully increasing lantus alone will get rid of the ketone (and smell).

Alex - what the heck is going on here?.......

18. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

19. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Good luck with the dosecrease Caryl!
    And, the new diet too...

Hope to see some better numbers real soon..

[​IMG] Your the tank!!

20. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Hoping to see those BGs come down real soon! dancing_cat

21. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Its called whisper down the lane or telephone....

22. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

it looks like Alex is coming down on his own today, I hope he'll keep dropping til PMPS.

23. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex PMPS 371,+2~231,+3~125

Oh well :? I'm lucky I made it to PMPS..been battling a migraine all day long and it's winning

24. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 1/17/10 Alex

Glad to see he finally came down to better numbers. Let's hope today brings more of the same (blues maybe greens)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.