1/17 Felix AMPS 499 PMPS 592

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by April and Felix, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. April and Felix

April and Felix New Member

Felix is mean and grumpy as ever. He's proud of himself because he drew more blood from me than I drew from him.

When do these numbers ever get lower? I've been looking at other spreadsheets and Felix is much higher than most kitties. Also, when do we increase the dose? My vet told me to hold for two weeks, but I read the protocol at Tillydiabetes.net and it says hold the first dose for 3 days. Felix has been at this dose for 2 weeks now and there is no improvement. I guess I have to take him in this week for the vet curve.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Felix AMPS 499

Hi April,

please remember to link the previous day's thread into your new day, here it is, I linked it for u..this way we dont have to go looking in the back pages for it
    :)
    Felix's condo from yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2818

unfortunately, u will need to get more spot checks in,,,and honestly, u dont have to do this at the vets...this will give u inaccurate numbers due to vet stress kitties experience.plus not to mention the $$$ -- it will add up, and home testing is so much more easier on the budget.

u already have begun home testing, which is AWESOME!
    when ur home, just grab a couple per cycle, in the daytime and in the evening...this will build up ur SS with data so u can receive appropriate recommendations on dose.

You can do this - we know u can! Felix will feel so much better if u do this for him yourself, instead of strange people in a vets office where mommy isnt around.

hope u have a wonderful sunday with Felix kitty cat_pet_icon

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Welcome to lantus--Dont know if i welcomed you but...
    This all takes time. You are doing great by hometesting. Doing spot checks will help you gain data for your spreadsheet. Then you can get an idea of how your kitty is doing on that particular dose ..Doing spot checks at +1 or +2, +3 and +6 are essential, and I am sending you the BG curve & how it should go--I hope it will help..
    You are doing well & I hope it gets even better for you-

typical curve:
    +0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number.
    +3 - Lower than the PreShot number, onset has started.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle).
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (may dip around +10 or +11).
    +12 - PreShot number.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I can understand your frustration and question. In case you didn't go back through the posts in your condo from yesterday, I'm going to repeat what I posted there.

If you can get more checks in today and if you are off for the holiday tomorrow, it will be much easier to help you make decisions about dose. Remember that Lantus dosing is not based on pre-shot numbers -- it's based on the nadir. This is why mid-cycle checks are critical and why they will help you to become data ready.

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I don't think I have stopped in to say hello yet, so welcome to LL!

I agree with the others, if you can do a curve today or (even better, IMHO) a few spot checks today and a few different ones tonight, we can see what the insulin is doing in Felix and see whether he might need more insulin. It is impossible to tell just from the preshots.

6. April and Felix

April and Felix New Member

I tried a curve today and tested every two hours. The numbers are terrible. He's been in the 500s all day. He's super grumpy and doesn't want to be near anybody. I don't think he's feeling very good.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't blame Felix for feeling grumpy. I'm sure we'll start working on his dose -- you did a wonderful job getting a curve today.

With Felix's numbers so high, have you been checking for ketones? (Do you know how to check for ketones?) If no one has mentioned it, you can pick up Ketostix at any pharmacy. They are strips that are about 4 inches long with a bit of pH paper at the end that you dip in Felix's urine stream. Which means you need to stalk him to the litter box. When Gabby was diagnoses, she had diabetic ketoacidosis. I try to check her for ketones on a weekly basis. It's not hard at all to do and it's reassuring to know that ketones aren't present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.