1/17 Shadoe amps 391 pmps 405 after vet +5 214 +8 236

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo

Well, this weekend started off with a bang on Friday and the visit to the vets. In keeping with Shadoe's chosen theme of Chaos Weekend, she has decided that it's dull outside so she will also skip over the nice sunshiney yellows and take a giant waddle into some clear blue numbers. Nice.

Oh, and she was quite annoyed at being pulled down from her perch by the open window; it's been awhile since such nice warm weather and she was enjoying the open window and fresh air.
    The nerve of me to drag her down just to do some stupid poke in her ear, I mean come on, it's Sunday so where's the rest day?

I have to go out around 1015 and won't be back till after noon, so I'll guess I'll catch a +3 just before I head out.

She is really liking the disgusting soupy broths I am giving her, more like food flavored water, so hopefully she will be getting more liquids in her that I can measure. She is back to normal urination amounts in the LB, but nothing solid yet. Then again, she had not really eaten anything much to produce much.

No call from the vet last nite, but the place looked pretty busy, so it's just as well. I can report that Shadoe is a bit better and I have printed out my ammunition to go down there and discuss Shadoe's pancreatitis, the numbers that support it, and state that I want the pain meds, the anti nausea meds, and that I intend to give the SQ fluids myself as needed, so let's set me up and have everything all ready for me and Shadoe by week's end. I have no intention of taking a chance that I need something seen to and have to sit around in a crowded waiting room on the weekend.
    I can appreciate that I am more fortunate than others because I have access 24/7 but still, why leave it to the weekend?

I keep thinking, you little weasel, you did this drop on purpose, just because you knew I had to go out for a few hours. No wonder she is sleeping so nicely now; she is very happy with her evil torture plans for our day :twisted:

Scratches to all the kitties, and please go easy on your beans today.
    Thanks in advance :lol: (as if they are listening)

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe +11 353 amps 391 +2 189

nice drop Shadoe!

heee heeee heee...keeping mamabean on her toes huh

Another good boy named Shadoe
    bcatrun_gif

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/17 Shadoe +11 353 amps 391 +2 189

I wonder how much of the meds you need you can get over the counter in Canada? Good luck with the vet and you are a wonderful advocate for Shadoe.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe +11 353 amps 391 +2 189 +3 151

So, it looks like there was that big drop to start and now she is going to surf the blues today, at least that's what I am telling myself because I will be out for a few hours.

Shadoe's seeming much better now; she currently has a front paws death grip around Booboo's neck ... just cuz she wants to clean Booboo. It's quite reassuring to see them getting along so well; it makes it easier to go out.

I should be home by +6, so it should be interesting to see what Shadoe has up her paws for the latter half of today with her BG numbers.

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

things are suddenly looking so good in this condo. :mrgreen:

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi, Just a couple of things I wanted to mention about the meds:
    Some vets in Ontario are still trying to say you can't get Buprenorphine here. That's wrong - you can. They may want to give you prefilled syringes. Be careful if they give you syringes for oral administration. Bupe in its original form can be administered Sub Q or trans mucosally (absorbed throught the cheek pouch). Just make sure they didn't order you a compunded flavored oral form that contains sugar - that happened to me.
    I use Ondansetron for Bear and Teddy's nausea, and I am very happy with it. It's a very expensive drug here, but it was way less expensive for me for the vet to write a prescription for me to take to Costco to fill, as opposed to having my vet supply it. I split the pills into quarters. My vet doesn't let me take Cerenia home, she only gives it at the clinic.

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Gayle
    OMG what is going on?
    Shadoe is blue, Max is blue.
    Maybe all of Jills's talk to both of us about Acro,Cushings and IAA
    scared the beejeebers out of our babies.
    Look at our condos over the past few days, and doses, and
    look at us today.
    We are like twins here.lol. Go Canadians Go (and I don't mean the hockey team)
    Check out my Max. He hit blue.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Randi, shhhhh; Shadoe and Max may not even realize yet, so let's leave them in this pretty bunch of colors.

I am just on the way out to see if i can speak to one of the vets, arrange to make an appt if needed to get the pancreatitis sorted out and get rx if i need, but frankly, I waited for a call last nite and today and nobody called me so I am owed bigtime a consult.

I got home around 1230pm and tested Shadoe, then I was just so tired, I fell asleep. She has been loving here soupy slop (ugh), and I just gave her a 1/4 tab of pepcid. I have used one of the syringes I have that was from my dentist and not used. I cut off the tip so the water or liquid will squirt easy.
    i popped in the piece and then squirted some water, but it was quite comical as the first attempt, she spit out the pill and I squirted the water all over her face :lol: Then, while! the getting was good and she still had that wet shocked look on her face, I slipped the pill in and squirted some water into the corner of her closed mouth!
    Victory! Chalk one up for the bean!
    Now, it's off to the vet and will be back for the 7pm pmps.

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe amps 391 pmps 405

Went to vet's with my ammunition. They listened but good.

Luckily the sweet vet was on duty; I call her Dr. Lu. Anyways I ran over everything with her, and she said on problem. I am going back now to talk about doing SQuids myself, not an issue with her, and also we will get Shadoe anti nausea meds and also pain meds. She did mention the Reglan, transdermal codeine, but I said what else you got cuz others have had bad reactions with it. We will see though.

So, off we go. She said to bring in Shadoe and she would take a look because still no poop and little pee. I said I am paying you on Friday so be prepared for that, OK? These guys think I am walking around with 1000's of dollars in my pocket, they got another think coming. Dr. Lu is great that way; she waves it all off and puts on whatever has to be on the bill and says pay me when you pay me.

And on that cheery note, I shall pack up the chunky monkey and off we go.

Update on visit to follow when we return.

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe amps 391 pmps 405

I want ur vet! lol

hey nice cycle by the way....and its true - all of a sudden u and Randi/Max going blue! awesome!

Hoping for the same tonight!

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe amps 391 pmps 405 - back from vet

... with goodies! :thumbup

I almost don't know where to start :lol:

So we gave her the following:
    Zofran injection
    Hydromorphone pain injection
    SubQ fluids the first start of the bag - I did it all with the techn
    Her temp was 38.8 and she has some stool that should present itself within a day. I asked her to check because she has not been eating so likely does not have much to deposit in the LB.
    Her weight was 5.4kg on Friday but is 5.1kg today.
    The tech said to not be concerned about her eyes due to her shots, and that I should be expected to be fairly loopy.

That's an understatement! She's acting like a pretty high kitty, and boy does she ever have the munchies! I think she is trying to catch up on all the food that she should have been eating this week by eating it all now. She has inhaled a whole can of SophCat chicken and liver, and I put half of another can in her dish.

She has settled down somewhat; she is currently sitting by the empty food bowl, all buggy eyed, looking all over, but waiting for me to fill the bowl, which I did with the 2nd half of the can of food.

I have not tested her yet; I can't catch her haha_smiley and I also did not want to upset her after getting home. I will get a test soon, maybe a +2.25 and call it a +2.

My take home goodies were the following:
    1000ml LRS fluids - give 100cc/ml once a day for 7-10days
    Buprenorphine - 2 syringes with 0.4 mg/ml to be given every 12hrs, under the tongue, acts faster.
    Codeine transdermal gel - 0.1 ml/cc on inner ear flap twice daily for 3-5 days.
    Cerenia green (16mg) - 3 tablets
    Pill Shooter (YAY)

The instructions for the pain was to start the bupe in the morn, one whole syringe, and can be at the same time as her amps, and the other syringe at the pmps. Then I can go with the transdermal starting on Tuesday.

Comments anyone who is familiar with all of the above?

12. Linda and Bear Man

I have only seen Buprenorphine in concentrations of .3 mg/ml. How many mls are in your syringes? Don't worry about trying to get it under the tongue. You can squirt it in the cheek pouch. It is absorbed through the mucous membrane. It shouldn't be swallowed. It may make her very sleepy to the point where she may not get up and eat, especially if you are giving a 12 hour dose.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Linda
    The grades on 1 side is to 20, and the other side is 1ml. The syringe is filled to the 0.1ml level.
    The label does say 0.4mg/ml. Does that sound about right?

Mike the tech said that under the tongue will absorb quicker because I said that I may not get right under the tongue. He did say it's fine wherever, but quicker under the tongue.

I will be giving her the buprenorphine and her 5.25 am shot at 7am; what about the nausea? Am I OK to be giving her 1/4 of the cerenia at the same time as the pain and insulin? Should any of these things be given before or after her shots? I wonder if I should stick around for a bit after her shot to see how she reacts, like maybe an hour or so. I don't think I'll bother with the autofeeder tomorrow; just a big dish of food would be better so that when she finally gets up and about, all the food will be there for her. Sound good to you?

14. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Buprenorphine and Codeine are both opiates. Are they supposed to be given together? I would double check that with the vet.

It is great to hear that your vet is so willing to go the extra mile for you and provide proper treatments for the CP. You have no idea how many kitties come through here that have to struggle with their vets for everything. You have a keeper!

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Cassandra and some of the others who have with kitties with pancreatitis may be best able to answer your questions about meds. If someone doesn't respond before you go to bed tonight, I'd suggest putting a "Med question" note in your subject line and checking your condo first thing in the AM.

16. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Cassandra for your help and comments.

The buprenorphine is just for tomorrow, am and pm, then after that, I use the codeine on the inner ear.

I took notes and made the tech have me do the fluids with my own hands while he watched, just so I would be able to do what was needed.

Now, I am wondering about an appetite suppressant! Shadoe is acting like some stoner with super munchies! She is just sitting near her food, looking all around, buggy eyes and the very little tip of her tongue visible. That's weird is it a problem?? Then she licks her nose and back it goes in.

I don't know if it is a good idea to test often or seldom tonite. Also, I did not give her any pepcid at her pm shot, but I don't know if I should worry about that tonite.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above? I am new to all of this, meds and fluids, so any and all will be welcome.

thanks Sienne, I will put med question in the subj line when I go to bed and will check early in the am.

And if I need to take another vacation day to stay home, that would be no problem for me.

17. Linda and Bear Man

Just watch for sleepiness, and make sure is able to get up and eat.

18. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Shadoe is totally wide eyed awake and is having no trouble with eating. She is currently sitting in front of a bowl with the 3rd can of food. It almost looks like she is paranoid and guarding the dish, looking around, left and right, at me, the ceiling, the bowl.

Do I need to test her? I don't know if her numbers will do much because she has eaten so much food.

19. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadoe amps 391 pmps 405 - back from vet +5 214

Alrighty sunshine at bedtime, nice.

Shadoe still seems a bit hyped, but after eating almost 3 cans of food and having her first poop since expressing her anal glands on Friday, I think she is coming down and not so freaked.

The poop was a bit on the quite solid side and quite a bit darker than usual, almost black. We will see what we get after all this eating tonite!

I emailed my boss with status of our exciting weekend, just to warn him that I may take another vacation day tomorrow.

I am tired but I am remembering the last time Shadoe had fluids and we got her first green, so maybe I should test once more tonite. We are already past +5, so maybe she won't go lower. How could it go lower - she just finished off the last of that 3rd can of food. I will leave another can out when I go to bed, I would not want her to go hungry overnite haha_smiley

20. Cassandra and Sasha

Whew! That's good to hear. Made me a little confused. Was thinking that you would have one very stoned kitty on your hands with both! :shock: Apparently the Hydromorphone did the trick already today!

Since you have yellow now, I would try for one more, or set an alarm if you can and grab a +8.

Can you please mark all of the meds given on your SS too? (not sure if you have yet or not) Would be helpful for people looking. :smile:

21. Cassandra and Sasha

Keep an eye on this. Black stool that looks tar-like can mean passing of blood, but darkened stool is also a potential side effect of Famotidine.

22. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Cassandra,
    By fluke, I slept a few hours this afternoon, so I will be able to stay up or get up for her +8, although I don't know what we should see then other than Shadoe having a higher BG.

I have been giving her the pepcid since Friday, it may be the cause of the darkened stool. I'll make a note of it and the meds on her ss.

That Hydro sure got her zooming around here; I'll offer her more food in about 90min at her +8 because that is the only way I can catch her. I sure hope she is settled down enough for me to give the fluids tomorrow morn.

23. Cassandra and Sasha

I'd only suggest another test because it is her first pain medication administration and we don't know what it may do to her. If she has been in pain it could substantially drop her BGs now that she is feeling better. Plus she had fluids on top of that, and those can also lower BGs.

I think it's so great that Shadoe is feeling so much happier tonight! Sasha is always so subdued after Buprenex - wide eyed and alert, but doesn't move around as much. I love zooming kitties. :D

24. Linda and Bear Man

That sounds like a conservative dose. It should be fine to give with the Cerenia and insulin, IMHO. If you can stick around a bit, and make sure she eats, she should have a comfortable day.

25. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Linda, it's good to know what I brought home and put in Shadoe is not over the top to cause worry when I am away. I'll update the rest in Shadoe's condo for today. thx again :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.