1/18 Milo's Curve,need dosing advice please.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mariaana and Milo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Milo's last curve was done on January 7/2022, and his Lantus was increased to 2.5 Units at that time.
    His Nadir was 144 mg/dl (8 mmol/L) today,my guess is that we need to Maintain on 2.5 Units for another week? (according to the SLGS protocol) Thank You.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mariaana, are you still working with a lower reduction point of 80?

You want him on a dose that sees nadirs in the 80s and 90s. There is scope for an increase to 2.75U.

tiffmaxee and Mariaana and Milo like this.
  3. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Hi again and so appreciate you connecting with me Bhooma!
    Yes.. i am planning on reduction point of 80.(Forgot about that...)
    Thanks for the heads up on those Nadirs Numbers!
    So an increase at AMPS to 2.75 Units then?

4. Bandit's Mom

Yes. And if possible, a curve and revaluation of the dose in a week. We don't want to be holding doses longer than a week. You are doing enough spot tests not to need a curve.

Mariaana and Milo likes this.
  5. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Question: With a Lantus dose of 2.75 Units... what BG numbers at AMPS and PMPS is "safe" to
    shoot "the full dose" and when should i decrease it a bit?

6. Bandit's Mom

You can shoot any number over 80 (which is your reduction point) provided you can monitor. It is very scary to see lower numbers - both mid-cycle and preshots, but once you get used to them, they can be pretty addictive and Lantus is known for flat cycles. Shoot low to stay low.

A cat's normal numbers are 50-100 (2.8 to 5.5) on a human meter. We get so used to higher numbers that normal numbers begin to seem "low" to us.

7. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Ok.. now i am confused...You are saying to do a curve in another week,and then:" that i'm doing "enough
    spot tests not to need a curve" ?? Please clarify..Thank's!

8. Bandit's Mom

Sorry, I realized after I posted that I might have confused you.

What I meant was that I know you wait for a day when you can do a curve to take a call on dosing. And sometimes life gets in the way and you cannot do one every week and that means you hold doses for longer than a week. Since you are testing enough to have a good idea of how low he is going on a dose, it's okay if you can't do a curve on a particular day. You have enough data to take a call on whether he needs an increase or not. With the amount you test you aren't missing out on any significant lows that could affect dosing decisions.