1/18 Quincy AMPS 107 - qs re: hypo risk

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Quincy, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

We'll see how Quincy does on this new, crazy to measure dose of 0.50 minus four drops. Perhaps that's a fat 0.25, but I've opted to label it as a 0.35. Hopefully the more I do it, the easier it'll be to measure it.

I was wondering... a while ago someone said to me there will come a point where Quincy's dose is so low that the risk of hypoglycemia is relatively nil and thus stressing out about shooting low won't really be warranted. So... what size dose is that point? I know ECID, but has anyone had a cat dip into dangerous BG levels on, say, a 0.25 dose?

Thanks!

Yesterday

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,
    JoJo had told me when I first started hangin' around here it was .25
    I was still always nervous.

i was reading your condo yesterday and relating to the fear of lower numbers and vomiting. It was just nice to know I am not alone in having to make those considerations. Everyone is always wanting green and then there's us!

I hope Quincy's vomiting gets under control and starts feeling a little better. Did you say its been three years? Even if it has not been that long...you are doing a fantastic job!

3. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Thanks. It's been almost 2 years since Quincy's lymphoma diagnosis, not 3. Next time we're at the vet, I want to ask him how long he's had a cat live with lymphoma. For some reason I keep obsessing about the 2-year mark. I think it's in part because I read about one study that had a median remission of 20 months. I know that means 1/2 the cats did even better - just have to remind myself of that, and that we caught Quincy's lymphoma very early. I think I'm overly sensitive too because it's only been 3 months since I lost my other cat, Cleo, and I can't bring myself to face the possibility of losing Quincy any time soon - not sure I can bear that.

But Quincy's been a love bug (a very hungry love bug) and hasn't vomited since after yesterday's AM shot, so maybe this will be the week he starts doing better. I have to remind myself he's feeling good and doesn't know about any of the things that are worrying me so much!

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

The lowest Luna got on .25u was 32, with no symptoms, so he wasn't on that dose very long.
    I think it's safe to say ECID, perhaps making sure there's food on board to soften the drop might make the numbers steady.

Even on .10u he dropped to 37...in my experience, food on board often made a difference, but sometimes kitties do what they want. :lol:

5. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I know there have been a few here that have passed the 5 year mark - you may want to ask on Health too.

((((Laura)))) It's so tough when you lose one pet. It really does change the way you look at the other one(s), especially if they are sick. The loss of my drooler led to my obsession with Sasha - not that she didn't matter before, but I wasn't nearly so crazy about everything then either (meaning I wasn't getting her tested for everything under the sun on a monthly basis). Just take it one day at a time.

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

My civie, Teddy, passed the five year mark in November. His oncologist did say that that was the longest remission she has seen, but that she has other patients with very good remission times.

7. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Linda,

That's amazing and just the kind of thing I need to be focusing on - thanks! I will send you a PM - am curious about Teddy's story.

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Baby is on .75 (we are new & she has not been on it long) but her AMPS # was 107 & I did give the shot this morning, I was real nervous, so I understand how you feel! I cannot advise - but for me I am glad I gave it to her.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Quincy is doing so well. Knowing he has the lymphoma is hard, but he doesn't seem to care. Every day that any of our kitties are with us is a gift.

10. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Beautifully stated and I agree 100 percent. (((Hugs to Laura and Quincy)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.