1/18 Sami PMPS 357

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Good Morning all,

Yeserday's Condo - 1/17/10

Sami is starting her 3rd cycle at 1.1 units at a lower number, 321. I am hoping to see more Yellows today, and possibly a yellow at her PMPS.

Sami is off to the office with me again today. Since my boss allows it I just feel more comfortable with her next to me then wondering what is going on at home. I try not to test her within 1 hour of going to work or coming home for fear that the car ride stresses her. However, I only live 3 miles from home so it only takes about 10 minutes each way.

She ate a good breakfast this morning, at least a half a can, and probably more because I saw her at a few different dishes this morning. She is taking a quick snooze now before we have to head to the office.

I hope everyone has a great day.

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 1/18 Sami AMPS 321

Thats so great you can bring Sami to work with you!
    I tried that once when Latte was having problems using her back legs and was afraid to leave her alone. I got laughed at....so I called in sick! cat(2)_steam Thats okay - they are supportive in other ways. I still think it is great! And Im sure sami will start getting used to the car rides.

Hope you have a great day, too!

3. Tina & Sammy

Re: 1/18 Sami AMPS 321

Yes, she has gotten use to the car ride, but I still get concerned about stress elevating her BG. It is really funny how she seems to know when we are going to work and when we are headed to the vet's office. When we go to work she is quiet just about the whole way, but when we went to the vet last Friday she started talking and trying to escape her carrier within a few minutes of leaving the house. The vet’s office is a little further than work too, so that doesn't help. Crazy how they know those things.

At first the guys in the office thought I was a little nuts to bring the cat to work with me, but now they are use to it and they even come in to see how she is doing. I think they are growing attached too. My boss even let Sami stroll into his office and hang out with him last week.

It is good to have such a great group of people to work with.

4. Tina & Sammy

Re: 1/18 Sami AMPS 321; +3 341; +6 327

Sami is pretty much surfing the low-mid 300's today. I had high hopes for some yellow, but not sure if it will happen or not. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised with her PMPS and get some yellow.

For now Sami is pink.

First question, I will be giving the same dose tomorrow, but if I am correct, based on protocol if Sami's Nadir number is above 200 I should increase every 2-3 days. Is that correct. If I do increase I would increase to 1.25 from 1.1. And do you do it in 2 days or 3 days, which is better. Edited: just re-read the protocol and it says increase every 3 days if the nadir number is >200.

Another question, I just recently switch from giving Sami her shot in the scruff to giving it to her on her side. Does any one have any data to back up which might be better.

5. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Jill did suggest raising the dose to 1.25u the other day, whenever you are ready to potentially see green. You can start that dose as soon as you want.

Many people give shots in either the scruff or the side/chest/stomach/flank. Whatever works for you is fine. This chart from BD may help: Injection Sites for Cats

6. Tina & Sammy

So do you think I can start the 1.25 dose tonight or tomorrow rather than waiting another 3 doses at 1.1 or should I stick with the 1.1 for another day and then increase on Wednesday. Either way I am able to monitor Sami just about 24/7, except when I am trying to get some sleep.

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I think if you are ready to see some lower numbers, then you can start the 1.25u tonight or whenever is convenient for you. You had been on the 1.1u dose before the 1.5u increased day and the skipped shot, and those previous days count in this case too.

8. Tina & Sammy

Okay, I was thinking after my screw up with the higher dose I would technically have to start the cycle over again. I guess I will wait and see what her PMPS number is and make a determination at that point. Thanks.

9. Tina & Sammy

Well, Sami didn't even make it into the 200's during the day today. So I decided to go ahead and increase to 1.25 units. I hope this wasn't the wrong decision. Hopefully we will see some movement soon.

I decided to continue giving Sami her shot on her side because there seems to be a little more skin there, and when I try to do it in her scruff I am never sure if I am picking up some of the muscle too. Is it bad to do that, I'm not sure. I have read there are pros and cons to both the scruff and the side, but for now I guess we will deal with it.

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good luck with the dosecrease!

In my opinion, the best shot location is the location where you know you can get the insulin into the cat successfully. For me, anytime I tried to shoot anywhere other than the scruff I missed or she moved, so the scruff was the best spot because I knew the juice went into the cat.

11. Tina & Sammy

This is true, I might attempt to try the scruff again. I know the insulin gets into her there, but I am just concerned that I am injecting it into the wrong layer under the skin. Is that possible? It just seems like the skin on the side is more loose and I am certain I am not getting any extra fat or muscle underneath.

12. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I've been shooting in the scruff for going on 10 years, just vary the sides and up/down the spine a little each day.

Good to see you taking the dose up a bit...suggest that you have the medium carb food with you at the office just in case you get a lower number and need to bring her up a bit while there.

Good luck with the dosecrease!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.