1/18 Wesson AMPS=178 +2=192 +4=227 +5=185 +9=98

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Paige & Wesson, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Paige & Wesson

Paige & Wesson Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

With SLGS, he has earned a reduction with that that drop below 90 today. With TR, you would increase.

SLGS is more suited to people who cannot monitor very much and/or feed dry food. The aim is to keep the cat in nadirs between 90 and 150 - regulated but not tightly regulated. Since you meet the criteria for TR, my suggestion would be to try TR and give Wesson an opportunity for remission. I am not aware of his history but it's possible he went from 1U to 2.5U too fast and with not enough tests. Once you started monitoring more closely, you realized he was dropping very low because he was on a much higher dose than he needed to be on. Or his pancreas suddenly woke up.

His numbers are not bad on this dose. Any idea how much lower he went between the 88 @+6 and 98 @+9?

What does your vet suggest?

3. Paige & Wesson

Paige & Wesson Member

I don't really want to reduce. He's having longer stretches of better numbers on this dose. He's been on the Libre since we started insulin so monitoring wasn't the issue. And I have only followed the advice I was given here except for one decrease that the vet asked I try. Don't know if he got lower than the 88 today. His sensor came off, so I fed some LC and we headed to the vet so that's why we have a gap there in the numbers. The vet just wants him between 100-300 on a daily basis to keep him symptom free.

4. Bandit's Mom

This is above the normal range and it makes sense only if you aren't monitoring. I would really try for remission and failing that try for tight regulation.
    In any case, you want him to stay below 200 to go easy on his kidneys.

5. Paige & Wesson

Paige & Wesson Member

I'm sure that most people don't monitor and that's why the vet recommends that. I would like to try for remission, but I need to get over my crazy panic with the lows. How long do you think we would need to try to see if we could get to remission?

6. Bandit's Mom

He is newly diagnosed and has been on insulin less than 2 months. For that he is doing really well! It's hard to say how long but just the fact that he is down in dosing from 2.5U to 0.75/1U is a good sign. Aggressive (but safe) dosing when newly diagnosed really makes a difference.

Why was he started on insulin more than a month after diagnosis? Vet wanted to try a diet change?

Btw, next time the Libre falls off/doesn't work and he is in green, try and get a reading with a meter, if possible? I would suggest you give TR another try. Let's hold the dose for now since we don't know how low he went yesterday. Let's take a call on dosing tomorrow? Looks like he's headed towards green again tonight.

I think you need to start sleeping in the first half of his cycle so you can be up in the second. LOL. The joys of a late nadir cat! ;)

7. Paige & Wesson

Paige & Wesson Member

Yes, a diet change. Wesson and his brother Smith....yes, Smith & Wesson :) both had crystals when they were younger. They were both put on a veterinary urinary diet. They had wet and dry, but I found it was very high in carbs. The vet wanted to try a change to all wet before starting insulin to see if that alone would work. It brought his numbers down from 580 to around 400.

I did get a reading on the Relion before we headed to the vet, but we had to pick up a sensor and go to the vet and were gone for awhile.

I wish I could sleep during the first half, but I have a full time job and 2 kids who have activities. I'm a night owl by nature, but this is getting ridiculous ;)

8. Bandit's Mom

Was that the 88 at +6?

Night outs are quite difficult to do - and much more so with a job and kids. Do you think you could sleep and set an alarm for +8 or +9?
    Do you have the option on the Libre where it scans and stores every 15 minutes or something like that?

9. Paige & Wesson

Paige & Wesson Member

The 88 was the Libre. I had fed him a bit and was rechecking him and noticed the Libre was coming loose. So, it was probably a 1/2 hour between the Libre reading and the Relion test and I got a 180. Yes, I get data every 15 mins from the Libre. That is how I can update his numbers every hour :)

I think hubby and the kids are getting concerned about my schedule. I need to start going to bed early and getting up with Wesson in the wee hours of the morning. I don't want to end up getting sick.

Bandit's Mom likes this.