1/20 Taz, AMPS-116, after eating -133,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SaraMV, Jan 20, 2022.

1. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

He's staying pretty steady (knock on wood). This is the lowest he's been, that I'll have to give insulin at. At what point would I not give him his normal dose? I'm getting ready to leave for work and am nervous with this low number. I know it's good, but still scary. Can someone give me their thoughts?

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When do you need to leave for work? When will you be back? Can you stall, don’t feed and recheck in 20 minutes.

4. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I leave in 20 minutes. I took that reading about 12 minutes ago. He's eating right now, then I'll give him insulin right before waking out the door. I'll get home a little after his +4

5. tiffmaxee

Test again when he finishes eating. It takes 20-30 minutes for the food to effect the bg and see if he’s the same and not lower. Feed him some mc and leave out food and you should be fine until +4. Post the bg.
    What method are you following? With SlGS you would skip.

6. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

You're a lifesaver! He started eating 25 minutes ago, and his number jumped up to 133. I feel much better about giving the insulin. I'll watch him on camera while I'm gone.

7. tiffmaxee

Perfect. He will be fine.

SaraMV likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Geez can you imagine if you were giving that 3 or 3.5U emergency vet recommended? :confused:

He looks great! Numbers say he's feeling better?

SaraMV and Rainbow Conti like this.
  10. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine! They were giving him the 3 units on top of iv insulin. That number scared me so bad! Especially when the first ER vet stressed that she wanted to start him on 1 unit and go from there. I can not even imagine what his numbers would be if we had stayed with even the 2 units. I definately want to go slow with him, especially since he hasn't been in the 400-500+ range for a couple of weeks.

I can tell he's feeling much better. Not 100% yet, he still acts like his tummy bothers him some, but if he has kidney, liver, and pancreatic cysts still going on, this may be our new normal. He's eating much better (knock on wood) and he's grooming himself (a lot). I seldom see him at the water bowl anymore but he's having good pees.

Rainbow Conti and FrostD like this.