1/24 Baby PMPS 202 +2 119 +4 52 +4.5 73 +6 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Good morning, LL :coffee:
    This morning, I gave a Fat .50, or maybe it was closer to .60 & I am glad I did. Baby is finally showing some action today (Yay!)
    I plan to go to church this morning, but will be home to test again at +8.

WCR Baby is having mini meals, Raw Rabbit with dust on top & Wellness Chicken. We just got up for the day, so hard to say much more about playing, 5 P's etc.

Have a Blessed Beautiful Day furbaby families!

2. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Re: 1/24 Baby AMPS 301 +3.5 145

What a nice start to your day! :RAHCAT Maybe Baby will see green today??? :mrgreen:

3. Nicole & Baby

(((Brenda & Morris))) thank you! I sure hope so!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Have a wonderful day!!

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Looks like green is a possibility today for you--Nice start today! You are doing a great job with Baby!! Keep it up! Happy Sunday. :D

5. Nicole & Baby

(((Roni and Moonie)))
    Thank you! I sure hope so, I hope you have a wonderful Sunday too cat_pet_icon

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/24 Baby AMPS 301 +3.5 145 +5 160

You are doing great Nicole. Hope Baby gets a good cycle today!!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

PS Happy to see the fat 0.5U is getting some action.

7. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Those are some great numbers today!!!!!

8. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

It's amazing what a drop can do huh? Looking good! Um Nicole could your impatience just be because you long for the thrill again of your first day on Lantus? :lol: That sure was exciting and a real adrenalin rush, you wanna do it again?

9. Nicole & Baby

Monique & Spooky haha_smiley

You made me smile & laugh out loud.... that was enough excitement for the year I think :mrgreen:

It is amazing how much a drop can make, it was just over the .50 line & it seemed to make her Baby Body get moving! Hope it stays strong!

P.S. I used to have a furbaby named Spookie (I know we spell it differently) Anyway.. I had Taffy & Spookie, but they each earned their wings years ago.

Roni, Paige & Amy.. thank you for your support & enouragement!!

10. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/24 Baby PMPS 202

Yay! :mrgreen:
    We should see some good #s tonight! I am giving Fat .50 Doses now - it appears that Baby may need just that extra drop or two, but we shall see what the sugar dance brings!

Very busy kitty playing with her ball right now...bringing it to me & having me throw it so she can fetch it :D

Attached Files:

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Happy for you and Baby Nicole!!! Good luck tonight cat_pet_icon

12. Nicole & Baby

Thanks, Paige! I am happy for you & Webber too!! We are gonna ROCK their lil bodies : ) :cool:

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

nice numbers and verra cute picture! I hope Baby gives us a nice PM cycle. :smile:

14. Nicole & Baby

(((Libby and Lucy)))
    Thank you! I am soooo looking forward to her +2 BG LOL
    Hoping for a nice cylce too.. thank you for your encouraging words & compliment on her pic~

15. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Great day for Baby, and the pic is Oh So Cute!!

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am soo anxious to see Baby's +2 as well @-) @-) I am praying that she does well for you tonight. Sending <<hugs and purrs>>

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Adorable pic of Sadi. (Gizmo plays fetch, too.)

Here's hoping Baby has a great cycle tonight.

18. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/24 Baby PMPS 202 +2 119

Thanks, everyone! Looking good so far... Baby is doing good, she just always seems to be hungry anymore.. I feel like I am constantly opening cans of food & putting hot water in it or rolling up lil balls of Raw Rabbit for her. She probably ate just as much before Insulin when she was on Dry, but now it seems like sooooo much, since I am preparing it :shock:

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

AWESOME 80 point drop!!

20. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

Looks like your fat .5 is doing wonders. I hope it continues, and you see some green overnight.

21. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/24 Baby PMPS 202 +2 119 +4 52

(((Thanks Everyone))) Amazing to me.. that .50 keeps Baby's Body surfing 200 #s, yet just a drop more gets her low.. it will be interesting to see what magical dose keeps her between 60-120 (my goal) Anyway.. feeding LC & will test again in an hour. Lil Drama Momma is Back & I am bringing out the Welcome Mat for greens! :mrgreen:

22. paige

paige Well-Known Member

OOOOO, look at Baby go!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

23. Nicole & Baby

Thanks, Paige! Do you know how (((Lucky)) you are.. that lil man Webber is chill & surfs steady? Give that boy a (((Hug)))

24. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

No worries, just keep your focus. You will do just fine.

25. Libby and Lucy

I would probably test in 1/2 hour, to be sure the LC stopped the drop (and to see if Baby dropped into dose reduction range, which looks likely). Nice cycle!

26. Nicole & Baby

Libby and Lucy... per your advice.. tested again in 30mins BG 73.. Baby is doing great.... thank you for the suggestion!
    msarobix .. thank you!

**Now.. here we go with a newbie question... if .50 keeps Baby Girl surfing yellow (high Blues IF we are lucky) & a Fat Dose drops her so suddenly.. any thoughts about what is next? Momma is very happy :D

I never got worried, because Baby is sensitive to food...... any food brings her #s up & she always is ready to eat.....

27. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/24 Baby PMPS 202 +2 119 +4 52 +4.5 73 Question

Great job Nicole. You have come a long way baby!

28. Nicole & Baby

(((Paige))) Thanks.... you & Webber have too!!!! xoxoxo

29. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

You are taking such great care of Baby, Nicole. I'm glad your efforts are being rewarded! And what a beautiful photo, too. I just love visiting your condo! :D

30. Libby and Lucy

Sometimes a drop extra of insulin is all that is needed to kick things back into gear - now maybe when she earns her dose reduction, the 0.5 that previously wasn't enough will work just fine. Happens a lot actually - Gabby's spreadsheet is an interesting one to look at, because there have been several times when that has happened for her.

31. Nicole & Baby

(((Kathy and Kitty))) Baby & I are appreciative that you bless our condo with your presence! Support, kind words & encouragement are blessings in abundance.
    Thank you... :YMHUG:

(((Libby and Lucy))) Same to you too, each & everyday I thank all of you that offer support, advice & words of encouragment. I just cannot seem to get my mind wrapped around why a dose wouldn't work one day, you increase, decrease & it works. I most definitely do not question it.. I just do not understand it.. but will work on getting my mind around it! I am going to look at Lucy's SS now.... again.. thank you for being you! :YMHUG:

**I am going to get her +6 & go to bed.. since we will be up shortly after & then off to tbp

32. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 1/24 Baby PMPS 202 +2 119 +4 52 +4.5 73

I think you may be forgetting one piece of the puzzle. Diabetes is caused by the beta cells in the pancreas malfunctioning (or worse -- they are irreparably damaged). Part of why a great deal of effort is made to reduce the amount of insulin even to a drop is to give the pancreas time to heal. In the time between diagnosis and either regulation or remission, if the cells are working, they may be working but only intermittently or insufficiently. This may be one reason that doses need to be raised or lowered. Once the pancreas is progressively healing, endogenous insulin is produced in a more consistent manner so there is less of a need to provide insulin from other sources.

33. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

NICELY explained, Sienne! I had a lot of trouble with that same question early on. It makes sense now, but it sure didn't then.

34. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Sienne - are you saying that decreasing a dose of insulin (even by a drop) will give the pancreas time to heal? Or do you mean a drop increase can give the pancreas time to heal? I too am trying to get my head around it. I was thinking that the endogenous insulin that we are providing is giving the pancreas a chance to rest and allow the body to start to use the glucose with the indulin we are injecting. Is this true?

35. Nicole & Baby

O gosh.. I don't considerable myself dumb.. but maybe I am when it comes to Diabetes...I am real confused. Does this mean, we give insulin - the cells should begin to heal & then we lower it because the healed (hopefully) cells should work - which makes the lower dose work? Insulin heals?

Why do some cats require more insulin than others?

Anyway.. Baby Blessed me with beautiful #s, I pray Liver Training School ends soon.. because I suspect we see high tomorrow..... but will pray that we dont.. until we dont!! o:)

36. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

We provide exogenous insulin (insulin that is external to the body) and since the pancreas can't produce enough on it's own, we are supplying the insulin that the body needs. I conceptualize it as a dose reduction occurring when the pancreas puts out insulin on it's own (endogenous insulin) and needs less of the insulin (Lantus) that we are supplying. However, until the pancreas can do this reliably at any given level, the amount of insulin we need to supply may vary so we have to either increase or reduce based on how recovered or how fickle the pancreas is.

Nicole - it's no different than with people. No two people have exactly the same insulin requirement for the same reasons. The amount may depend on how damaged the pancreas is (or isn't), how quickly it is recovering, other metabolic factors such as activity level, body mass, other hormonal factors since we all produce corticosteroids, how effected we (or our cats) are by the moon (lol), or any number of other issues. Remember, ECID.

Paige - I think you are partially right. Lantus does allow the pancreas to rest but the pancreas is still working to some degree. It's not like there's a switch that will turn the pancreas off completely. Because the ability of the beta cells to produce insulin is impaired, glucose metabolism is impaired since insulin is required to move glucose from the bloodstream into the cells. This is why blood glucose levels are high -- the body's primary nutrient, glucose, isn't getting to where it needs to go and is floating around in the blood. (This is also why diabetes is referred to as a starving disease -- our kitties may eat but the glucose resulting from food being broken down into glucose isn't reaching the cells.) By providing an exogenous insulin, Lantus, glucose can move into the cells and be metabolized. The insulin we provide then reduces BG levels as glucose goes into the cells where it can be used as fuel.

I hope that's clear!

37. Nicole & Baby

(((Sienne and Gabby))) thank you! I do appreciate your explanation & education. I for one, am not familar with Human or Feline Diabetes (except what I learned crash course since Baby has been diagnosed) This does help & I think I am starting to see the big picture. I do thank you for taking the time for us newbies :YMHUG:

38. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Morning Nicole!

As Sienne explained insulin is a hormone and hormones are tightly controlled in the body through an intricate system involving feedback from the control centers in the brain and receptors on the glands. When the sugar level in the blood rises a signal is sent out to the beta cells to produce insulin, in the case of a diabetic who has only a few working beta cells the response is inadequate, although the few weak beta cells try thier hardest they just can't make enough to make much difference. So you inject insulin into the body it is detected by the regulating system which then STOPS sending out the message that insulin is needed and the beta cells take a break and rest while the Lantus deals with the sugar in the blood taking it into the cells (muscle, nerves) where it will be used as engery. After eating more sugar is moved into the blood from the stomache/intestines where it can be collected up by the available Lantus and carried away. During this time the feedback system is still not sending signals that insulin is needed and the beta cells continue to rest and heal and new ones grow but are not immediatly over stressed. After a while as the Lantus wears off and the sugar starts to rise the message gets sent to go to work and make insulin, as more and more healthy beta cells are present they begin responding and making endogenous insulin which lowers the sugar. Now when you shoot insulin you have a lower overall BG level because some work has been done by the natrual insulin so what you give may be to much, that's when the BG will go below 50 and you need to feed to provide something for the excess insulin to transport. Now you need to reduce your dose. This cycle contines sometimes it goes fast sometimes we reduce to soon or too much and the new fragile functioning beta cells become overwehlmed and start to fail then the BG rises and we need to supply more Lantus to help them out a little longer. Eventually if all goes well we can continue to earn these dose reductions until no more exogeneous insulin is needed and we have enough healthy working beta cells to manage the job. This is also why remaiining on healthy low carb diet even after remission is important because those new beta cells are fragile and even though many have healed we still don't have a 100% functioning pancreas like before the diabetes. If we overload the delicate system with "junk food" it won't be able to handle it and we will burn out the system.

Two (ok three) reasons why some cats don't go OTJ or why after being diabetic for a long time makes it less likely is ...#1-Although Type 2 diabetes is most common in cats (humans too) a smaller precentage of cases is caused by type 1 which is an autoimmune disease where the body produces antibodies (things that normally are used to fight "invaders" such as viruses, but it screws up and begins making antibodies that flag the beta cells as being a foriegn invader and the immune system then attacks and destroys them, this proccess continues until all beta cells are destroyed and the animal is unable to produce any insulin itself. Even if through giving exogenous insulin some new beta cells can regenerate or grow the body will just again attack and destroy them so we are helpless except to give insulin forever. #2 After being diabetic even Typ 2 for a long time sometimes the damage is too great and too much pancreatic tissue has been replaced by scar tissue which is useless and healing simply can't occur. This happens when the diabetes goes untreated or unsatifactorily treated (BG too high most of the time) for too long, the longer the BG is high (over normal) the longer and harder the feedback system keeps sending out messages to "get to work" and the harder the beta cells try but they can't and they just suffer burn-out, in addition glucose free in the blood is like poison to most cells in the body, it rots them if you will, that is why many diabetics develop neuropathy (damages nerves) and it is toxic to the beta cells further damaging them. When this happens over a longer time the damage is to great and remission is not possible. #3 which actually occurs in connection with number 2 is simply atrophy (you know "use-it-or-lose-it") After being diabetic for a while and having a lot of damage to beta cells, even if there is a few left and repair is possible, sometimes a cat has just been on insulin for so long that the feedback system has gone to sleep (it didn't have anything to do!) and the beta cells were not being stimulated at all so they too just went to sleep and begin to shrink up and dissapear. This is known as supression and atrophy, once it occurs it is often (not always) irreversible. To avoid this or to slowly "wake up" the system no matter which hormone we have neen giving, it is always recommended to taper the dosage slowly and stedily until everything is back on line and working on it's own. Stopping hormone medications suddenly is dangerous if the system is asleep and can't wake up and respond it can be life threatening leaving the body without certain hormones. This is particularly the reason why cortisone type drugs (cortisone is another hormone) are always step-wise reduced before discontinuing the drug completely.

Just as additional info. there are other forms of diabetes which you may see occasionally. Gestational diabetes occurs sometimes in pregnant women, although it can complicate the pregnancy and be dangerous for the fetus, it usually occurs late in pregancy and can be treated, it also usually goes into complete remission after the birth. This is why most women have thier BG tested several times in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters and sometimes a glucose tolerance test will be preformed if GD is suspected. Another cause of diabetes or Psuedodiabetes is caused by the disorder Cushings-syndrome which is where the body has an excess of the hormone cortisol (cortisone) cortisone works against insulin and also stimulates the release of glucose into the blood, which leads to hyperglycemia. Cushings can be caused by tumors (usually non-cancerous) of the feedback glands which overstimulate the production of cortisol, or the glands themselves (adrenal cortex) which produce the cortisol. Additionally it can be caused by giving cortison medications (usually tablets like Prednisone) in higher doses for longer periods of time (it is a potential side-effect of steriod Tx) It can generally be cured by surgery to remove the tumor or with drugs that block the pproduction of cortisol. If caused by cortisone drug stopping the medication will often lead to remission of the diabetes. If treated early then the diabetes will also go away, assuming that the beta cells were not to damaged during the hyperglycemia. Another cause is Acromelgly which is another overproduction of hormones from the stimulating system which is caused by a tumour in the pituitary (a small gland at the base of the brain) The tumor produces excess growth hormone, which in humans is called HST (human somatotropin) you have no doubt heard of BST (bovine somatotropin) which is contiversially injected into cows to make them produce more milk or grow bigger for more beef. Well when this hormone is overproduced in humans when they are small children they continue to grow very large very fast and they don't stop until it is treated, today it is rare to see these "Giants" that used to be circus preformers because the diaease is detected and treated. In adults that are already full grown when the disease begins they begin to grow larger hands and feet and sometimes the head gets bigger. The growth hormone also stimulates a thing called inulin like growth factor (IGF) which looks simular to insulin but it doesn't do the same job as insulin. It gets in the way and blocks the receptors which insulin uses to attach itself and bring the glucose from the blood into the cells. When these receptors are all plugged up by the IGF then the glucose cannot get out of the blood into the cells and hyperglycemia occurs. People or animals with disease can often be cured by having thier tumor removed or shrunk by laser etc. and the diabetes like symptoms and need for insulin will also go away. The hyperglycemia needs to be treated with insulin untill the tunor is gone and the excess IGF has cleared out of the body. Usually the dosage is very high (some cats are getting 20-50U BID!) the idea is to put so much insulin into the body that it over powers the IGF and can get the glucose into the cells. These animals have a functioning pancreas but it can't produce enough insulin to compete with all that IGF running around, so to prevent the complications of hyperglycemia insulin has to be given.

So that is probably more than you ever wanted to know, but now you understand what is going on with Baby more and what could be the situation for some of the other cats here, or even someone you meet who is diabetic. You can say "I know why that is!" and sound like a pro. :D
    Now I have to go make lunch!

ETA: I should mention that some of things are just my theory (which many others support as well) we still don't know everything, and you know what they say about a THEORY: It takes hundreds of repititions and studies to support it and establish a theory, and just one SOB to come along and prove it all wrong! :roll:

39. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Sienne and Monique----thank you!!! This has helped me tremendously and I am sure alot of others too.

40. Nicole & Baby

Monique & Sienne,
    I want to thank you for taking the time to explain things in such a detail oriented way. This education has been extremely helpful - it must have taken some time to type up & I (along with others) greatly appreciate your sharing of knowledge. This certainly helps & I *think* I am beginning to understand.. Until my next dumb newbie question. :mrgreen:

41. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

WOW....that was AWESOME!!! ((Monique & Sienne)) :thumbup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.