1/24 Friday update as an Old Timer

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by karen and splash (ga), Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

It's not testing time yet this morning for the little diva who lives with me named Friday, so I'm just posting a WCR and an intro to those who don't know us around LL.

Most of you don't know me, but I've been a bean around here for over three years when my first diabetic, Splash, was dx. He taught me to learn and was only on insulin (PZI, but in his case I don't think it would have mattered which insulin he was given) for 23 days. Anyway, from my experience with Splash, when someone at our local independent shelter suggested I consider permanently fostering Friday, a diabetic who had been returned to them during a DKA episode, I ended up saying yes.

Friday survived that DKA episode but then ended up at the shelter and was in a separate condo because she didn't eat regularly and they were trying to keep tabs on her input and output....and in addition, she didn't like other cats very much and would have caused havoc in a room with more than two or three other cats. But, she also HATES being confined. She was put on Lantus and had doses from 1u to 2u over the next year. This period also included a visit to the vet for a curve during which she tried to hypo there (that was on 2u)......so when I brought her home I had hopes for OTJ, but it became apparent after she tried several times (at microdoses) to go OTJ, but just couldn't make it, that she would most likely be on insulin forever. That's okay.

She's been with us two years now and while her dose is up to 2u, we've determined that she's had several CP attacks and the damage has been done to her pancreas. She is starting to mellow in her "old" age of 15 and has even been photographed on the couch or chair with Chocolate or Cheddar and their fur has been touching. But she still swats at the boys especially if they breath wrong in her presence. LOL!!!!!

She eats regularly and is always there when the cans are opened, she loves to snuggle on my chest when I'm trying to sleep, she has her places in the house that are HER perches and the others respect them. I'm getting better at figuring out when she is starting a CP attack and keep bup on hand (I love my vet) and can dose it without a trip to see him. Never had to use Mirtz on her, but have it around just in case......usually the pain meds are just enough. And on occasion a couple of days of squids. So she is doing well and continues to do well on Lantus.

It's good to see so many beans that care enough to do the best for their cats around here. Listen, read, learn, try........know thy cat and you will hopefully have as happy a cat as I do and still be able to have a life (like I try to do) that just happens to include a diabetic cat.

Hugs, Karen

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post. I didn't know about Friday's story. Good to see you.

3. Joan and Madison

Joan and Madison Member

Hey there Old Timer! Good to see you. :smile:

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a heart warming story Karen....it is so wonderful that you opened your heart and
    home to Friday... she is one lucky kitty! Your kindness and caring is a shining example to us all!
    Many thanks for sharing your story with us .... :YMHUG:

(I bet this is the ONE and ONLY Friday update on Saturday!!) :lol: :lol:

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Karen What a kind heart you have for giving a home to Friday..Ben around here for a while myself & do remember Splash..
    It's nice to know Friday's story & hope she will continue to warm your heart & life for many more years. Hugs from us~!

6. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Hey Karen! Nice to see you!!!

Loved Friday's story - didn't know you had that wonderful new addition to the family. Another cat, blessed enough to have crossed paths with you!

Hope you and Friday have many more, happy years together.

7. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

I didn't know about Friday either :smile: Love to hear her WCR!

8. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Hi Karen! thanks for the Friday update! we miss you around here!

9. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Karen, what a heartwarming story of your baby, Friday...she really lucked out to have found such a loving home with you. She is lucky to have found you, and you her.

So nice to read your story again, and see your update.

Judith and Thomas (GA)

10. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

What a wonderful story Karen! Friday is certainly a lucky kitty to have found you..
    Thank you for all that you do for the kitties and the peeps at FDMB..

11. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

Hey Pat, when I used to post regular condos for Friday it would confuse and confuddle LL peeps because I would be posting Friday updates every day of the week.......it was quite fun!!!!!!! That was around the time we started using the date in the condos right at the start of LL...way back when.

12. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

Re: 1/24 Friday update as an Old Timer on catuday.

geez lousie. i talk you almost everyday and i did not know she was up to 2 units, last i heard about dose she was still micro-dosing. :roll: what one learns on oldtimers day! but yeah we are pretty much in same boat. just enough CP flares so that pancreatic damage is done even though the flares themselves are not severe. however i've seen cats having bad flares :sad: that last for weeks (and yet go OTJ) and if magically i could pick which scenario i wanted for my cat i prolly would pick the slight flares and staying on insulin forever. my biggest fear is that settles will progress to severe flares because they are just simply horrid. a cat simply can't be much sicker (except for DKA or HL and the like) then when having a bad CP flare. and like you i also find jumping on the pain meds as first tool works best. my mirtz and pepcid are going stale since they are the last tools i need to use, he is always better after the pain meds and if a bit worse flare, the SQ's are added (oh such FUN to give him those, i'll let you imagine the drama....or should i say horror movie since there is dripping blood. mine)

she is a lucky kitty. i can't imagine she would still be around if still at shelter. good job! :)
    hey see ya around okay? :lol:

13. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard Friday's story before, thanks for sharing it.

14. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I've heard part of Friday's story before, but it's great to read everyone's whole story today. What a lucky kitty. Thanks for visiting! :mrgreen:

15. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

me either. really sounds as if she's doing very well. glad to read her story. :)

16. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Friday sounds full of spunk. She's lucky to have you as her bean, and it sounds like she adds something... special to your home. Keeps all them boyz on their toes, huh?

Thank you for loving her, and sharing her with us.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hey karen! love hearing a friday report on caturday! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.