1/25 Fluffy - PMPS 90; + 3 = 115

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lindyloo, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

What is my Fluffy Joe up to? Hopefully good things :smile:

Recap from yesterday: AMPS = 144; PMPS = 87

Normally I would shoot a 105 if it was a ps number, but since it was a +24 I kinda wanna see where this goes.

Thoughts?

I left him two packs of gum before heading out tbp in case he wants to blow some bubbles.

Didnt start a condo yesterday so there is no link to attach (Ronnie ;-) )

2. Greg and Carmelita (GA)

Greg and Carmelita (GA) Member

Re: 1/25 Fluffy +24 = 105 thoughts anyone?

Since you were outside the normal range yesterday (144 is a smidge over the line), I would be inclined to shoot, myself. HOWEVER! I tend to err on the side of shooting, even if it is just a dose so small it might as well be imaginary. Hopefully someone smart will visit you here. Good luck, whatever happens.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

oh that's neat! Are u experimenting? With food to manage the BG's by any chance?

what you mean giving me a wink? :lol:

Are u home this morning to grab a couple of checks? EDIT oh crap just caught that ur not home.

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Could be Mr.P decided to work after all--You'll never know if you dont try--
    All I can say is Chew GUM!!! You can always shoot tonite...Moonie has a hard time holding decreases so I would have shot this, but Fluffy has done well for a long time
    Sometimes an experiment just happens......Chew GUM :mrgreen:

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In my brain, the jump from 1.0 to no insulin is too big if you want to give the pancreas an optimal amount of time to heal. I would have given some insulin.

6. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

I thought about giving a small or "imaginary" dose this morning. But I decided to wait this out a little longer, see what happens. Even if this is a failed attempt, Fluffy knows better than to go above 160!

Sienne, while I do agree, Fluffy went from 1.75 units to OTJ last time so he is full of surprises :) Although that time I did switch food at the same time.

7. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I will add my 2 cents here if you don't mind.
    Linda I know Fluffy was OTJ before as was Putty also. The first time may be very different from the second time. IMHO I would give the pancreas a lot more healing time. One of the reasons that Fluffy may be 105 after 24 hours is he has a large shed which is probably depleting. He may go a little bit with good numbers but I would have to agree that going from 1 unit to nothing is too big of a jump. If he was really ready to go OTJ he would have had lower bg's midcycle or green ps's. You don't have a lot of mid-cycle tests so it is hard to know.
    I am not trying to burst your bubble here and I think Fluffy may have a good chance to go OTJ again but don't rush it. I know that first hand. I wish I had kept Putty on a low dose of insulin a lot longer the first time. I was new and too scared because he threw lower numbers ( and by lower I mean 80's) very soon after diet change and insulin. He was only on insulin for 24 days. I will never really know if it would have made a difference but I do believe he may have been OTJ longer if I had

I also know that ECID and I take that into consideration but I think if you want Fluffy OTJ for a long time he may need insulin longer. As Jill has said in other condo's she has seen the results of stopping insulin too soon and it can take a much longer time to get back to where you are today.

Oh and Greg......somebody smart did visit today....YOU!

8. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Thanks Miriam. You and Sienne make a very valid point and have much more experience than I do.

One of the reasons I dont get many spot checks (other than being at tbp or sleeping) is bc Fluffy doesnt really seem to have dropped much when I have spot checked. He just surfs right along in the low 100's. And, since he gets snacks at +4 and +8, I can really only get a +6 and +10 spot check bc any other time would reflect food spike right?

Im also terrified of shooting anything below 100 :shock: so its a catch 22.

9. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not sure how well I can answer your questions but I will try. Obviously when you are at tbp like most people it is very hard to spot check which is why when you are home it is very important to get as many checks as you can. If you look at Putty's ss between 1/24/09 and 8/23/09 you will see that he steadily went up. His number did not necessarily go too high but not very low. I still did spot checks. He would do ok for a while....not very low numbers but blues, some greens etc. He also did not get any dose decreases either....just increases. When he got to 3.25 units something clicked. It was his breakthrough dose and he had a lot of decreases after that.
    If you also notice when he was low I shot low because if I skipped a shot then I felt we would have to build up his shed again and I did not want to lose momentum.
    As far as getting only +4 and +8 spot checks you can mix it up a bit. Putty's nadir used to be +4 and now it seems to be +6. If the only time I checked him was +4 and +8 I would have missed a few reductions. Test Fluffy before his snacks. Test at +2 and +11 sometimes or +3 and +5. You could be missing a lot of data by assuming he always stays the same.

It is very hard to get comfortable shooting low..but..if you don't try to get more comfortable then you could be missing those dose decrease numbers. If it happens on the weekends then great, you can be home to monitor. If you are not comfortable shooting the full dose and leaving then give a reduced dose to keep something in the shed. I would try not to skip a shot. You know there is somebody always here to walk you through. Believe me I know how hard it is to get comfortable and I promise you once you do it a couple of times you will be a pro. Ask Kathy/Kitty.....she is a green addict now. :mrgreen:

I hope this helps a little and I am sure the more "experienced" people can help too. It takes time and patience....time I have but well ask Libby how much patience I have...wait don't. ohmygod_smile

10. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain Miriam. I have gotten used to shooting lowish numbers, 100-110, so I will work on shooting in the 90's now. lol. Baby steps. Anything under that I will at least shoot a token dose. 80's still scare me.

11. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Re: 1/25 Fluffy +24 = 105; +36 = 90 thoughts anyone?

+36 = 90. Based on the suggestions everyone gave me today, I am supposed to shoot this. Very surprised to see a 90 at +36. I am going to give a token dose.

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/25 Fluffy +24 = 105; +36 = 90 thoughts anyone?

I would just take the normal dose reduction and shoot that. He has been at 1 unit, so the next dose is 0.75. It really is worth the time to work down the dosing scale all the way, his pancreas will get more healing time that way.

13. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Today: +24 = 105; +36 (PMPS) = 90; +3 = 115

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.