1/25 Nelson AMPS 177, +2 166, PMPS 217

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bridget & Lord Nelson, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Bridget & Lord Nelson Member

yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3799&p=36578#p36578

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers and helped me with the shoot/no shoot decision yesterday. I knew I would not be able to monitor Nelson as closely as I was on Saturday when I did a mini-curve and erred on the side of caution and shot a small dose even though I knew it would affect his shed. And there were some other things that I was doing wrong that I've corrected, including post titles and how I do my spreadsheet. I wasn't able to respond because once I went back on line it was pretty late but I did see your posts and Nelson did fine yesterday. I probably could have shot a normal dose but again, didn't want to take that chance.

Even though his PMPS was a little high last night, it wasn't up in the pinks. Today a manageable 177 since again I won't be able to come home to monitor. Wish I could shoot for lower numbers but the last thing I want is for him to go hypo while I am not home to monitor. Shot 1 u. The new vial of Lantus seems more effective and more predictable than the old one which I'm pretty sure I damaged (it stopped working, or at least working like it should, in 2 weeks).

WCR - Nelson was fine yesterday and is fine today. Appetite and behavior normal. Starting to get what we call his "old scratch" back.

I don't know how people do this WITHOUT testing. I felt a little bad yesterday about not being able to test through the day like I did Saturday but I wouldn't think now about shooting without testing first. I don't know how I could have been sent home with a bottle of Lantus, a vial of urine strips, with instructions to call the vet if there is no change in the strip (too late--and even then, isn't that more likely to be a good thing?) and what to do if he appears to go hypo.

This support group and board is a godsend. Thank you again everyone!

2. Greg and Carmelita (GA)

Greg and Carmelita (GA) Member

Re: 1/25 Nelson AMPS 177

Hi Bridget! Glad you shot to keep the shed open for business. Seems like you are making sound decisions for Nelson, balancing BG control with safety.

3. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

So you shot a bloo number again this AM, any updates on how the day went?
    It's normal to be scared at first... it will get better... trust me!

4. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Bridget & Lord Nelson Member

He did really well. I tested out the door and he was 166, and was up to 217 at PMPS. DH got home around an hour before I did and gave him a snack of FF so even though I tested before main evening feeding the PMPS probably included a little food spike. He may well have been in greens at some point in the cycle.

I know I could shoot for a little bit lower numbers at some point but as I'm still such a newb and I won't be able to go home much this week to monitor am more concerned with keeping him in a nice, safe range for now. While I'm not happy that my first Lantus vial went bad I am glad that seems to be the reason why he was all over the place last week and hopefully we can work toward getting him regulated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.