1/26 Chnoudi AMBG 125 +3:65 PMBG 86 OTJ TRIAL DAY 11

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melita & Chnoudi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-pmbg-75-otj-trial-day-10.242037/#post-272684

Hellooo everyone!!!

Well...not good news today.. AMBG 125.

I have to say that I gave her a different food last night, which may leaded to this number.
    I know it was not very smart of me to give another food in the middle of the trial, but it has great ingredients and only 3% carbs...It's Wellfed pate-turkey & duck (protein:10.5%, fat: 6.1%, ash:2.4%, fiber:0.4%, moisture:80%)

What's more, she didn't ate her whole +9 meal at night...

Maybe these things played a role..I don't know :(

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

possibly.

How is she feeling?
    check her 3 hours later see if she's come back down.

I'm struggling to find info on the food you used, from the figures you posted it seems it is low carb.
    I did find that that flavour (hairball variety) has malt added (this is a grain, perhaps that may be causing a problem)

It's not the end of the world, this can happen when we test new foods.
    I remember that with George there was one food flavour from granatapet that used to always make his BG run a little higher even though it was lower carbs.

3. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

She looks good, she just had a hairball vomit in the morning, before the test. (She has hairballs quite often after I changed her food from dry to wet. She licks her fur more often, I don't know why. )

Yes, Wellfed is a greek food with great reviews. I haven't seen this additive, it's not written on the packaging. I want to support greek products and I'd like to find an alternative choice for Chnoudi, but as it seems we will stick to Bozita forever.

It's amazing how they act on different low carb foods!
    I'll test +3 in a while. Thank you Gill! :bighug:

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 11! :cat::cat::cat::cat::D:D:D:D:):):)

5. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Thank you very much Carla!! :cat:
    +3:65

6. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Happy day 11! Nice +3 from Chnoudi :bighug:

Looks to me like she might have had the higher BG due to new food... but also a quick adjustment three hours later. I hope she continues in the green zone, I’m sure she will. :cat:

7. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

I hope so..Thank you Lina!! :kiss:
    I'm always anxious about Chnoudi after diagnosis...For the way she breathes, eats, pees... I wish I'll manage to calm down in the future

8. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

I am the same! I will follow Simba to the litter tray, poke him awake to check he’s breathing, listen to his heartbeat, feel for anything around his body and place him on the floor to see how he walks etc. :confused: We just have to trust that our furry children are doing well without the continuous examinations!

9. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Exactly!!!! And the thing that I have lost my trust to the vets - after their silly thoughts about diabetes - makes things worse..
    Anyway, let's think positive! :cat::bookworm::cat:

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I feel the same way...haven't met a vet yet who has any experience or knows more than the folks on this forum about FD. It's sad...but they jut don't have time to delve into it. Only a few ...

At least Chnoudi found her way back to the lagoon! Go Chnoundi, go! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lina and Simba likes this.
  11. Gill & George

65 :D:D:D:D
    if she was feeling a bit sick that might have also contributed to the higher BG.
    https://www.aigan.gr/product/wellfed-hairball-turkey-duck-pate-100gr-51-doro
    The Malt is listed on this website, it's only a small amount, but it is a grain so perhaps your girl is just sensitive to that.
    I wouldn't necessarily discard the food, give her a few days it may be a coincidence of furball, no +9 snack, and the phase of the moon.

She may need something to help with that, it's not 'normal' for them to have frequent furballs.
    Have a read of this
    https://www.foodfurlife.com/best-manage-hairballs.html#/
    ETA
    I'd consider using dried egg yolk and perhaps look into probiotics, the change from dry to wet may have had an effect on her GI tract leading to the increased hairballs. Just remind me did she have steroids or antibiotics recently? Both those may have also affected her natural gut flora.
    also a good read from the food fur life site,
    https://www.foodfurlife.com/why-probiotics-are-so-important-for-our-pets.html#/
    Vets often stock fortiflora as a probiotic, not the best, the above article has links to why not. I use Sboulardii for George, he started it after he got sick with diaraeh/and had a course of AB and Steroids, he's been on a maintenance dose it ever since, I buy a human grade one. Not sure if this would be the most appropriate for Chnoudi. I'm going to ask some folk that are better informed on the use of these supplements to offer you some advice.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  12. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Happy Day 11 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So glad Chnoudi slid down for you :bighug: FWIW, I use FoodFurLife's egg yolk for hairballs - Jax is short haired but when he was unregulated his fur was a mess and egg yolk really helped; he gets 1/8th teaspoon twice a day (I think he can get up to 1/4 teaspoon twice a day). FoodFurLife has a recipe to make it yourself too - link here - I haven't done this yet but might since their product is out of stock and I'm starting to run low.

I also recently started S. Boulardii with MOS for Jax to help his gut health - there's more info on it here. Just some more reading while @Gill & George helps with more advice :bighug:

13. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Nice +3!!!:D
    Happy day 11!

Melita & Chnoudi likes this.
  14. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Thank you so much @Gill & George , you are giving me always so useful information!! :bighug: Thank you too @JaxBenji !!! :kiss:
    I have to do something for her hairball.. I've learned so many things here, that I feel blessed. There are many things I'm totally unaware of...
    To sum up Chnoudi's case: She had her annual vaccination on May '20 and after that, many health issues started. Her immune system collapsed, she had staphyloccocus (i dont know if I wrote it right) in the urinary, and yes in August '20 she had antibiotics (Zodon) for this for 10 days. After that, diabetes appeared.

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D The recipe to make the dried egg yoke looks pretty easy. I bought the Food fur life because I am lazy. My longer haired cat tgat has occasional hairballs might have a food intolerance to egg so only her sister gets it!

16. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

i think it was just a coincidence too, but I was afraid and I started Bozita again.

17. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Hahaha I'm lazy too, I hate kitchen but I'will try it

18. tiffmaxee

To sum up Chnoudi's case: She had her annual vaccination on May '20 and after that, many health issues started. Her immune system collapsed, she had staphyloccocus (i dont know if I wrote it right) in the urinary, and yes in August '20 she had antibiotics (Zodon) for this for 10 days. After that, diabetes appeared.[/QUOTE]

Where I live vaccinations are given no more than every 3 years!

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Melita, good sign that Chnoudi came down @+3
    Happy Day 11 :bighug::cat:

Melita & Chnoudi likes this.
  20. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Where I live vaccinations are given no more than every 3 years![/QUOTE]
    Yes, I've heard about this too, but when I asked the vet, he told me that this happens after the age of 8.. And Chnoudi was 5 yrs on May.... I don't know I'm sick and tired of doctors and their financial reasons .

21. Gill & George

Which vaccines?
    Here they are required by law to have the rabies shots annually.
    But the others it's up to me.

George doesn't have any now. I refused he's old, CKD, diabetic, doesn't go out, so vet made a note on his passport that he wasn't fit to have vaccine. He had anual vaccines for the 10 years we had him before his diabetes diagnosis.

22. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Yes, I agree, your decision was right for George. Here, they don't do the rabies shots to cats if they are not travelling and live inside. So, I have never done it to Chnoudi.
    This specific shot, she had on May, was the FVRCP.

Gill & George likes this.
  23. tiffmaxee

We don’t have to give rabies for cats. The other vaccine is one dose every 3 years . Mocha has allergies so will likely not get any other than the ones she got as a kitten so I guess that will be the same for Chai. My vet steps giving them if a cat has other health issues and stops all at 10 years too.

24. Gill & George

Different regs, here all dogs/ferrets and cats have to have the rabies shot, though in practice a lot of people don't vaccinate their cats. Mine go to the cattery when we are on holiday, and they require that they have been vaccinated.

I haven't looked into it, but I think that dependent on the vaccine some are approved for three year use whilst others have an annual interval. Or so my local vet once told me, though she was talking about the rabies vaccine at the time. Spanish law has not caught up with the newer vaccine for rabies, so even though I give that they still, by law, have to have it annually, crazy.

Dr Lisa, from Catinfo.org has interesting info on this
    https://catinfo.org/vaccines-for-cats-we-need-to-stop-overvaccinating/

It will help you with the decision on when and what you want to vaccinate your cat. She talks about the FVRCP vaccine, amongst others, what to look for and what to ask for if you are deciding to vaccinate.
    You can learn what the health risks of vaccinating, and weigh that up against Chnoudi's exposure to pathogens, I think that some vets are still not up to date with the 'current' research. I've just reread this section, it seems that your vet may be a bit out of date.

25. Gill & George

Awe poor girl. Maybe her gut flora was affected by the AB.

I spoke to some another member regarding the furballs, they suggested to start with the egg yolk powder.
    See how that goes and if it helps.
    Guess what happened yesterday...
    Iris produced a huuuuuge furball:rolleyes:, I'm sure they read the posts. I'm going to make some of that egg yolk powder and try her on it, her poops can be quite hard so I'm thinking it might help her on that front.

26. tiffmaxee

The egg yoke does help soften the poop. In fact start with 1/8 teaspoon a day and gradually increase to twice a day to avoid the stool getting too soft.

27. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

@Gill & George very interesting article, thank you!! Yes, I'll have to think about it again and again before her next vaccination. I'm afraid of everything now, I trust none. And of course, my vet was not only out of date, he was out of order, generally!!!! And the sad thing is that he is amongst the best in Athens.... Anyway .

Hahaha! Iris wanted to support Chnoudi mentally. Girls' power :p:p I'll have to make this egg power soon.. She is licking herself all the time and becomes angry when I try to brush her. Ughhh

28. Gill & George

Oh no!
    It's hard when you loose trust in your vet.:(

I've had to change, after George almost died from bad teeth, long story. I travel an hour now to see one I trust. The thing I like best about them, apart from the fact they have a lot of experience, is that they are always keen to learn about new things, they listen to me and they don't dismiss me. I have 5 cats, two dogs, and I foster for the local charity, so I guess they see me as a good client:joyful::joyful::joyful:

I think that if you are going in for a routine check up and have some questions of vaccines or whatever, do your research first and be ready to ask questions. Ask them which vaccine they use, what brand, you can always walk away and read up about it and ask for something else. I often write some notes, because otherwise I get sidetracked or forget. Sometimes I send an email in advance, so vet can have time to look up the answers if I'm asking something unusual.

BTW Happy Day 12!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

wow amazing!!! Congrats for your patience!!!
    Yes, it's very important to be open to new things, researches, and information. Knowledge never runs out. And if they see that you know many things and looking for new information, they treat you in a different way. Then, i went to another vet, who is specialized in cats, but she proved to be awful too. However, diabetes hardens things, because it's a tough disease and "the bar rises up". I'll have to make an appointment with a 3rd one this time, talk to him and see if we are in the same page. And if yes, introduce Chnoudi later on :smuggrin::smuggrin:a
    Thank youuuuu :bighug::bighug: