1/26 Ming PMPS = 194

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-14-ming-pmps-128.224305/

Hello. Long time no post. I didn't post because Ming's just been in blues/yellows since my last post. Some wonky things happened along the way: my mom gave the wrong dose so we restarted the cycle count, and then I miscounted and increased early, and I failed to test again even though I knew it would be an active cycle last night...

And now we're here, this morning, where Ming puked because he was HUNGRY. But he was also too low (+11.5 = 47). So I had to starve him a bit more, in which he protested with more pukes. Finally, he rose up and I fed him. Gave a reduced dose because I need to take him to work for ~5 hours. He won't be so into eating at the vet/work so 3.5units is for safety.

Ming will be getting a check up today and he'll probably get blood work done since I want him to get a dental.

About IAA:
    I spoke briefly to Sandy in a PM since she's the veteran who had an IAA kitty. She said, why not test for IAA? Wendy doesn't think it's worth it. Me? I don't know. If he's broken it then probably the percentage of insulin autoantibodies will be normal and it will just be a worthless test...

Could IAA build up again?

I'm going to double check the cost of it and also discuss it with his vets (even though I know none of them probably know what IAA is lol).

2. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Hi Crista! Vetty vines for both of you! I hope everything goes quickly and smoothly today. :bighug:

3. Crista & Ming

Thank you! I would have preferred not to work today but we’re short a few people for the next couple of months :( But this work day will pay for all of Ming’s bills haha

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  4. Crista & Ming

+3 = 34

Yikes!!!!!! Gave HC and honey.

I might have to say I'm not coming to work after all.

5. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Geez Ming...never a dull moment. Get your booty on up to the safe end of the lagoon! Be good for Mom.
    He's going keep you on your toes today Crista.
    I hope you have a good day. I'm sorry you might have to miss work. Safety is paramount though.

Sonia & Leo and Crista & Ming like this.
  6. Crista & Ming

+3.5 = 50

I offered another tsp of HC since it's way too early in the cycle. He only licked it though and then left. :facepalm: I'll be testing an another 30 minutes just for info and safety's sake.

I'm half glad. Glad because I didn't want to work in the first place but then I wouldn't get overtime to pay for Ming's appt haha!!! Oh well. Like you said, safety is paramount.

My coworker was understanding and said they're fine :)

7. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Interesting !!
    Ti-Mousse has an appointment Tuesday with a new clinic and a new vet, the ones who took care of our new one Caramel! I'll ask for IGF-1 and IAA testings.. we'll see what she says!!

Ming is really having nice numbers on low dose. Hope his check up and BW are good!
    I wish you and Ming a wonderful year! Hope you celebrated well your New Year with your family and friends and of course good food... ! :bighug:

AmandaE, Crista & Ming and Wendy&Neko like this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Helps that you work in a vet clinic! Ming, behave! :eek:

The reason I said don't bother is two fold. One - the cost, it's pricy from this part of the world to ship the blood to MSU. Two, what would you differently with the answers? I had a kitty positive for both IAA and IGF-1 (acromegaly), and didn't bother retesting. The internal medicine vets I talked to at CSU said "save my money". As for what his number would be now, probably the same as it was a year ago. Did you ever read this post by Sandy? It took years for the numbers to go down. If you are curious and it's within your means, no harm in testing. We also don't know what triggers IAA. Doodles was a kitty doing well, on his way to remission when bam! Numbers started going up, he was diagnosed with a heart condition and subsequently IAA. Did he have IAA before? Who knows, he wasn't tested. His pattern of resistance looked like IAA so Karen finally managed to convince a vet to get it tested.

9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Forgot.... I wanted to ask if you tried the TCFeline premix; I saw not long ago you ordered some. Thinking of using this for Ti-Mousse!

10. Wendy&Neko

@Ti-Mousse I used the TCFeline Special premix, which is good for kitties that need low phosphorus. They are on Saltspring Island, so very close to us. Their mix does hace Xanthum gum in it, so I switched to FoodFurLife (more expensive) when I started having to deal with GI issues. Some IBD cats have problems with gums.

11. Crista & Ming

@Wendy&Neko
    Right, thanks for reminding me about what I’d do differently if I knew! And yes, I did read that post and it’s what I was thinking if his percentage is already down, what’s the point? I’ll have to look up Doodles story. That’s quite interesting that it happened.

Would you recommend I continue to do a 0.5 u decrease?

@Ti-Mousse I made a batch with the premix, froze it, and told myself I’d try it with Ming once he finishes the other stuff I made (without the pre mix). Since you’ve reminded me, I’m going to take it out and see if he’ll eat it lol.

12. Crista & Ming

I’m so excited for you and Ti that I’m going to put on my calendar that Ti is getting an appt and possibly going to be tested for those conditions. Lol!!!! I don’t want to forget!

Thank you! My family celebrated another new year, the Lunar New Year, a week ago to avoid everyone celebrating it on the actual day (yesterday). Of course we had LOTS of food. My family spoiled us kids this year and go a certain dish we always want to eat but is usually quite pricey. They’re called Fried Crab Balls

Sonia & Leo and Si am cat mom like this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Here is Doodles SS. Note the change starting end of January 2016.

And no to the 0.5 unit increase. You are now in the land of 0.25 unit changes.

Do you still get red packets? Happy year of the rat.

14. Crista & Ming

Yes I do! Not married yet so I don’t have to give any to the kids.

My friend’s family gave red pockets to their cats too with little toy mice tied to them.

15. Crista & Ming

+6 = 38 (retest was 29)

Not that it makes a difference right now, but do I go with the lower number?

It feels counterintuitive but I’m going to cancel his appt today because I just can’t bring him somewhere when he’s trending low. Too much anxiety!!

16. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Thanks Wendy for the info on the gum!:)
    I would definitely prefer FoodFurLife but they ship and track to the Border; as soon as it gets there, no more tracking and it could sit there for a while ! Unfortunately I'm far from the Border, so I'll start with TCFeline hoping the gum won't bother any of my kitties, if it does at least I'll know why... Unfortunately, there's not that many companies offering premix.. !

17. Wendy&Neko

@Ti-Mousse FoodFurLife shipped to my door. So did TcFeline.

18. Wendy&Neko

Below 40 is below 40. :eek: Definitely BCS time tonight, unless he bounces high. He really doesn't like 3.75 units.

19. Crista & Ming

Got it!

I had a feeling he would do this from past experiences. His second dip when he’s going low. He might do a third, who knows!

20. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Whoa.
    Ming the Magnificent has been busy today!

You're doing such a great job staying on top of his numbers and managing the shenanigans!

:)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  21. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse is keeping company to Ming in those LIMES lately !! :woot:
    Great ! Just ordered a sample from FoodFurLife! :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  22. Crista & Ming

+9 = 117

Back up! Finally.

@Si am cat mom thank you! It's a good thing I still love him at the end of the day lol

23. Crista & Ming

PMPS = 194

Shot 3.5 units!

24. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

as long as a kitty is still receiving exogenous insulin, if a kitty develops IAA even if it has resolved, the results will continue to reflect the original level of resistance

when BKs insulin needs dramatically changed (October 2008) I had him retested thinking the results would reflect the change however the results were unchanged- 84% which is extreme resistance. I had him tested a third time well after he was OTJ and the result came back normal.

So as long as Ming is still receiving exogenous insulin you still have the opportunity to find out if he developed IAA and to what degree. while that information may not seem of value to your treatment decisions for Ming at this stage of the game, if you can swing it finding out would be a meaningful contribution to building our tribal knowledge of IAA.

I think its time to consider that increases/decreases in .25u increments may be appropriate,

25. Crista & Ming

Thanks Sandy. That’s very invaluable information and I think I will go ahead to do that test. Ming has an appointment tomorrow for a check up.