1/27 Ruben 145 +3 216 +4 265 +6

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RubenTheCat, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2

No need for the karo, but if you did, it's okay. Let us know either way.

Test time!

Carl

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2

I promise Carl and I will start talking more :lol:

How's Ruben doing?

3. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

87 +2.5 < wish it went up more
    doesnt the insulin kick in at like +5-+7 is that when we really have to worry, fyi zanex barely made difference (def not falling asleep) if numbers drop again im taking the other 1/4 lol but serious my left foot is completely tingly numb and cold neuropathy kicking in

fyi did not eat last bite w karo ( i tried to make him lick the gravy off my finger but want into it

4. Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2

PMPS ~ 195 (.75u) ate 1/4 can

+1 ~ 144 (fed tbsp FF gravy lovers 22%)
    +1.66 ~ 71 (fed tbsp FF 22% with karo)
    +2 ~ 84 (fed tsp FF 22% w/ karo)
    +2.5 87

5. Marje and Gracie

It probably did not go up because he's onsetting now. Do you think he will eat a little more with another drop of karo? If he won't eat food, gravy with karo is good.

And I'm sorry...but you will need to test him in 30 mins and then maybe we can give him a break.

6. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

kk gonna try just gravy w karo no promises, he really wasn't haveing it. and yes i hate testing but i WILL do it
    ruben on the other hand is getting more and more fidgity oh well has to be done
    fyi never having children could never handle it lol

7. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

also what is "onsetting"?

8. Marje and Gracie

Onsetting is when the dose you gave tonight kicks in.

Good job...see you soon.

9. momsgirl2727

momsgirl2727 Member

Just lettin ya know I'm still here and watching the posts. Sounds like his numbers are rising slowly. I think thats a good thing right. Keep up the good work Sam. Ruben loves you

10. Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2

Onsetting -

If you think of the insulin like a delayed reaction, time release kind of thing, in a "typical curve" it would start having an influence on the BG level between 2 and 3 hours after the shot. Before that time, typically (we use that word a lot!), the BG would be going up for the first hour or two from the carbs that he got by eating his dinner.

Tonight, Ruben's first 3 hours after the shot have not been "typical", which is why we're all here "talking" about it. :D

carl

11. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

i dipped my finger in the gravy lovers twice and added some karo to that, not much but some
    (keep in mind im vegan <huge i touched animal flseh, but for ruben i'd bathe in it)...lol

12. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

carl when am i testing now? im lost focused on food and ruben lost track of time

13. Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2

Ha,
    I remember a member last year, who was a vegetarian, and at one point, she had to give her kitty a "liver shake". Her reaction to having to touch raw chicken livers was much like your's to touching the gravy lovers!

14. Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2 87 +2.5

Test in 10 minutes, which would be +3

15. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2 87 +2.5

((((((carl)))))) thank you for keeping track and for everything. i mean it. from the bottom of my big heart thank you guys. you are my sanity

16. Marje and Gracie

Re: 1/27 Ruben PMPS 195 144+1 71 +1.5 84 +2 87 +2.5

You're doing fine.

At some point, we need him to actually eat. Is he not a good eater or why do you think he's not eating tonight?

17. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3

145 +3 (oh thank you god) litteraly prostrated myself and prayed to god for a good number (im not really a religous person, but praise god)
    (Marje) he did eat a whole can of gravy lovers just spread out over his +1-+2.5
    when do i have to test next 2 hrs would be nice but im here and ready to do what you say, he just getting a little fed up
    also he's sleepy (but think cause he cant get rest) hard to tell lathargic from tired

18. Marje and Gracie

Great! Give me just a second to decide and I will be right back.

19. Marje and Gracie

Ok...I think the best thing is to test at +4. Here's why....it's early in the cycle and alot of that number might be the carbs.

So a +4 test in one hour. Are you feeling ok? You have done a great job but its still early.

20. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

you got it +4 it is. thats 11:20?
    i feel better from that last number and yes my stress is high but keeping it together. I can't feel my left foot but vision is holding steady so thats good. no stroke warning so far...lol
    trying not to play the "what if" game but what if it drops and he dont eat is there a protocol?

21. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3

If he drops and won't eat, you can try things like rubbing karo on his gums, or syringe feeding.

Yes, 11:20. But take a real break from it for a half hour, Sam. Rub his furry head and let him nap. Check on the BF, call your Mom. Sanity break time!

Carl

22. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

eff the bf.....lol all about ruben, should have been here when i needed him, he's just upset cause ill pick ruben over him and he's right. plenty of fish in the sea and now that i found here, i know there are guys who love their cats like me.

23. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3

While there's a break in the action...

About tomorrow's shot. Because Ruben dropped under 80 on the AT meter, that means he gets a reduction in dose going forward. So his new dose would be .5u, which is good. I think you said you have the syringes with 1/2 unit markings? That should make the dose easier to measure than the .75u has been.

That's progress, Sam!

Carl

24. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3

Test time!

25. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3 216 +4

216 +4 < good? i know better than low but confused still learning this disease.
    you guys are the best for staying with me. you all could be doing other hings, like sleeping or having fun, but instead your hanging with the nutty girl.
    i really appreciate it

26. Marje and Gracie

You aren't nutty! You are part of our family.

So here's what I think is going on.

He was clearing a bounce (I explained that earlier today) as he was coming into PMPS and just kept on after. So now he's going back up from the carbs and he might also be starting another bounce. Hard to say because carbs take a couple hours to wear off. He might still come back down some but he shouldn't come back down alot.

Here's my question for you.....can you wake up in two hours or stay awake two more hours? I'd like to get him to midcycle and see what he does. Yes...it would be great if he'd do this during the day, but he's not.

Does he need more food or has he had all that he normally eats? If he still needs to eat, you could put down his LC and take a nap.

Which is best for you?

27. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

You and Ruben must be getting like old pros at this BG testing now! Plus he got a dose reduction yay!

Wendy

28. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3 216 +4

Samantha,

Again, you're very welcome! Looks like Ruben might be starting a "bounce" from the drop down into the 70s. Let's see what Marje thinks, but I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary or anything that concerns me. This is pretty "typical" when a newly diagnosed kitty starts to see "normal" BGs for the first time in a long time.

Carl

29. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3 216 +4

PMPS ~ 195 (.75u) ate 1/4 can

+1 ~ 144 (fed tbsp FF gravy lovers 22%)
    +1.66 ~ 71 (fed tbsp FF 22% with karo)
    +2 ~ 84 (fed tsp FF 22% w/ karo)
    +2.5 87
    +3 ~ 145
    +4 216

30. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

I will stay up for two hours, can't sleep anyway, you guys will be here right? i know you willbe, but need reassurance. sorry for being needy (i know not attractive)
    he hasnt been eating what he's supposed these last two days, what if i feed him and he drops and not hungry later, he could eat more to make his 3 cans a day only on 2 (one of which is gl)
    Marje- you think he's getting a dose reduction tomrrow too? hope so
    from my calculations he's only had diabetis for about 1month before detection. he got tested before his surgury and his numbers were slightly elevated but when i brought him for the colonoscopy they retested to be safe and he was at 400, so assuming it hasn't been going on very long.
    I also had a check up for him in october and his numbers were fine then, but his pancreas was slightly elevated but not by a lot.

31. RichNW & Rex

RichNW & Rex Well-Known Member

Hello Sam & Ruben,

Congrats on the dose reduction! You are doing awesome.

32. Marje and Gracie

Hi Sam

Earlier when I said we were going to "abort the cycle" what I meant was, instead of bringing his BG up to 100 or so and just letting him stay there, I had you feed him extra carbs to bring him up alot.

The reason I had you do that was because he was coming down very fast as he cleared his bounce and he was pretty low (but safe) by +2. He had earned his reduction but his hot from tonight had not yet kicked in. He wasn't eating and it could be a very long night for you both. I was also hoping that by slowing him down, he wouldn't bounce too hard,,,but he still might because he came down lower than he's been....that we know of.

Normally, we hope they come down a little slower and you don't have to give carbs and karo. I'm not a big fan of using karo but he was zooming down. I know he will give us another chance when he's just having a more normal cycle and we can manage the curve with his regular food.

You both did really super and thank you for staying so calm, listening, and following directions. AAA+++ for you!

We still need to check him another time tonight. I will be up for his +6.

Any questions about tonight so far?

33. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

i work best with positive reinforcement and instructions( basically i'm perpatually 12) so thank you for both.
    so if i hear you right he might start to go higher ( which is not good , but not immediate) do you think reduction then?
    i did not feed cause he's sleeping peacefully and afraid if he drops he wont be hungry, if you think i hsould feed please let me know.

carl my +6 is 1:20, right?

34. Re: 1/27 Ruben 145 +3 216 +4

Yes, your +6 will be at 1:20, Sam.

I am going to wish you a good night's sleep (once you get there). Time for my beauty rest, lol. Marje is going to stick with you until at least +6, and I think Wendy is still online. I'm sure others will drop by too.

You did a great job tonight Samantha. You might not think so now, but in a month or two, it's going to be you sitting here helping a brand new member do just what you had to do with Ruben tonight. Trust me. :smile:

Give Ruben a scritch from me and Bob, and I'll check in tomorrow AM to see anything I missed,

Carl

35. Marje and Gracie

Sam...could you scroll back through your last few posts and read ours to make sure you got everything?

I will be here for the +6 test. And yes, please reduce his dose in the morning to .5u okay?

Let me know any questions you have after you read through the posts. his SS is up to date for numbers but you will have to fill in the foods, etc.

I'm here if you need anything and I will definitely plan to check on you at 1:20 your time.

36. Marje and Gracie

I'm here for you +6 test, Samantha

37. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

265 +6
    marje -thank you i know its late if i ever get to wher you live i vow to clean your house and wash your car to give you a break

38. Marje and Gracie

You are sweet! Don't worry...I have a housekeeper and someone who does my car :D guests just get to relax.

You can go to bed...you did so great and I know you must be tired.

If he's hungry, you can leave his low carb food out for him. Remember to only give him .5u of insulin in the morning, ok?

Sweet dreams. Ni Ni.

39. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

i re read the posts and i gathering he's going up like this and will continue to go up because of his fall and particular b/c of the 71 @ +1.5 that is what is known as the bounce cycle when he comes up quick like this.
    I am still going with .5u in the am
    what is the number I should post if i have a question -still 180?
    im assuming that wont be the cas but ecid < go me, kinda catching on right?
    love you

40. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

i re read the posts and i gathering he's going up like this and will continue to go up because of his fall and particular b/c of the 71 @ +1.5 that is what is known as the bounce cycle when he comes up quick like this.
    I am still going with .5u in the am
    what is the number I should post if i have a question -still 180?
    im assuming that wont be the cas but ecid < go me, kinda catching on right?
    love you

41. Marje and Gracie

I am pretty sure he will be high in the morning but yes, 180 ...and you know what to do now. But if it makes you nervous, then post and ask for help to shoot that. I won't be up :D I-) I-)

I do think you are getting it very well! It's all a hard concept and we will teach you more as we go.

I hope you can rest. Hug your boy extra tight ...he did very good letting you do all those tests.

42. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Hi Sam

You did great last night, really :) I've been there and done that! I see Ruben's BG is high this morning (like the experts say; probably a bounce). When Gobbles' BG is high, I can tell right away. One of the first things I notice is that upon me waking up, he is ravenous. His litter box has a LOT of pee clumps.. Then once fed, he is tired, goes to one of his sleeping spots and for Gobbles at least, I am convinced the lethargy is because his BG is high. This morning Gobbles' BG was 388; poor little boy. I really hope he hits the yellows later and blues would be fantabulous! It really upsets me to see him in high numbers (well, yesterday was in the yellows which for Gobbles are great numbers considering how high he has been in the past); it makes me want to cry and breaks my heart. But I know there is nothing that I can do about it other than give him a little pet and a kiss and let him be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.