1/29 Azure OTJ lower BG, headed for remission?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Amanda Wenger, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Amanda Wenger

Amanda Wenger Member

I have been reluctant to post here because I don't want to jinx what is happening but Chris convinced me that it is good to share positive news so here we go...

Azure was diagnosed with steroid-induced diabetes on December 8, 2020 as it was part of her treatment for small-cell lymphoma. She's had a rough year - 7 teeth extracted, vomiting, slowly losing weight, surgery to remove a bladder stone. She had only been on steroids since October so this came as quite a shock but all the clinical signs were there (I actually took her in for an extra checkup because I was concerned) as well as blood glucose around 500!

The internal med vet started her on Lantus, 1 unit 1x per day. Within a few days of her diagnosis, I joined the Feline Diabetes FB group and, boy am I glad I did! I don't think we would be where we are now otherwise. I read about the protocols people were using with their sugar kitties, diet changes, home monitoring, etc. I have to admit it was pretty overwhelming so I decided I would play by the vet's rules until her follow up two weeks later and if we were not in a better place, then I would be "all in" with the changes.

I took her in to the vet for her first curve on December 23. Her NADIR was in the upper 100s, which honestly wasn't too bad considering she was at the vet, but clinically she was still drinking and peeing a lot, especially at night. Fortunately, I had already ordered my meter and started home testing on Christmas Day. For the next 10 days, I kept giving 1 unit 1x per day so I could have some data to justify it, but I was already thinking that she needed 2 doses.

I finally got the nerve to post on the message board and one of my questions was about options for adding a second dose. The feedback I received was a resounding YES, that she needed 2 injections a day so I decided I would split her dose and see what happened. I asked her IM vet if this was OK (even though I had already decided) and he said I should keep 1 unit AM and add 0.5 unit PM. Well, I am glad I had my home testing data because her end of cycle numbers at 1 unit were low enough to indicate she did not need a second shot at PMPS time.

I changed her over to 0.5 AM and PM on January 5 and as you can see in her spreadsheet, we have been on a downward trend since then! She has actually not even consistently needed injections since January 7. Officially, she has not had ANY insulin for the 4 days. Her numbers jumped after her chemo treatment on Sunday (she gets it every 2 weeks), so I gave her two half doses to get her back on track.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajFxXPNxviOV4WFo_NNHOWxWM_AeBxpABbUoTJLyglk/edit?usp=sharing