1/4 doses are very difficult

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helga Gamp, Jan 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helga Gamp

Helga Gamp Member

I have done a curve yesterday and increased Ike's dose to 1.75. I just have the end of the stopper ever so slightly above the 2U line. It's so hard to see! Have ordered syringes with half-line markings but it will take another 2 or 3 weeks for them to arrive. I worry that the dose may sometimes be closer to either 2U or to 1 1/2U! Should I perhaps increase to 2 units as that would be easier to get it right?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What brand of syringes are you using now?

3. Helga Gamp

Helga Gamp Member

BD ultra fine 0.3ml no half unit marking

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. Helga Gamp

Helga Gamp Member

Yes, have ordered these, but will still be 2 or 3 more weeks until they arrive ...

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Thought it might be the BD syringes. If so, there is a paper insulin ruler you can use: Insulin ruler template for use with BD syringes: https://www.diabetes-katzen.net/insulinruler.pdf
    More details on how to use it in the paper: Management of Diabetic Cats with Long-acting Insulin.pdf The description starts part way down page 255, with pictures the following pages to show how to use it. It does say to be used with 1/2 unit marked syringes, but the rulers also contain markings for doses like 1.75 units. Might be worth printing of and see if it works for you.

7. Helga Gamp

Helga Gamp Member

Thanks so much for this info! Will read the pdf later on the computer. Seems the paper ruler works like calipers? I have calipers, but haven't really looked into how to do the calculations...

8. Wendy&Neko

9. Helga Gamp

Helga Gamp Member

Thanks! Will see the info and try ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.