1/6 Biscuit 126 AMPS +2 103 +4.5 76

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ShannonandBiscuit, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ShannonandBiscuit

ShannonandBiscuit Member

Yesterday

Still trying to decide how to proceed with Biscuit. I reread the stickies and there only seems to be info on increasing or decreasing based on nadir, not really any info on when you've reached the lowest dose but the preshot numbers are still high. He's having reasonable numbers at this dose and some greens mixed with the blues. I guess now it's just a waiting game to get those AMPS and PMPS to come down. We really can't reduce his dose any further and he's not ready to be off insulin as his preshot numbers are too high to meet the protocol. Wondered if increasing his dose and changing to a higher carb food would help his numbers. Also, I read on someone else's post that changing the feeding schedule and giving food close to shot time helped their preshot numbers?

I wasn't sure if anyone else had been in this boat where your as low as you can go but they are clearly not ready for OTJ. If there is anything we can do to help him or if its just really a waiting game and keeping him at this dose? Just wondering if its patience now or ??

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    We were in a Similar situation. I do know that generally dosing is based on the lower numbers and not the preshot numbers. I have read here that the AMPS- preshots in general- are often the last number to level out.
    We started feeding higher LC meals with shot times and at +2 to help him level off instead of bouncing around. He had been getting zero carb mostly and it was just causing steeper drops and then bouncing. I did end up going up a smidge in the dose just so that we could get flatter, stables curves. My guy never was a DKA sugar kitty though, so hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in :)
    I think sometimes you have to stall and wait for the numbers to settle- then sometimes have to go up in the dose before you can come back down.
    It's definitely a game of patience and calculated moves.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Are you giving a small snack of low carb food around +8? That sometimes helps bring the preshot numbers down.

Sonia & Leo likes this.