? 1/7 Billo PMPS 205 - Might have to go out of town this weekend

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Abdullah, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

yesterday

Billo spent almost the entire night in the blues, really proud of her! She came down slowly today, and I'm expecting some low numbers as we proceed into the night.

I had a question - I might have to go out of town this weekend for work, potentially leaving Saturday morning and coming back Sunday evening. I wanted some advice as to how I can safely leave Billo. My family will be home but they're not comfortable with testing, I've tried teaching them but it's just one of those things where either you can or cannot. They can however give her the AM/PM insulin shots. This business trip still isn't confirmed, however what I have thought is to maybe feed a tiny bit of M/HC at around +3 every day so that she doesn't drop BUT I also don't want to hinder her progress since she's spending some time in lower numbers. Kind of torn.

If anyone has experienced a similar situation, please send some suggestions!

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Abdullah, I know this is rather last minute and might be difficult to arrange but have you considered getting a Freestyle Libre planted on Billo? Call your vet, see if they can do it, get a prescription from the vet for it (I don't know if you need a script for it in Canada), get it from the pharmacy and bring her there tomorrow to have it installed? The Libre works with an app on an iPhone but you you can also get a standalone Reader for the sensor so that anyone in your family can scan while you are not there. I haven't been in this situation yet but that's always been my plan in case I needed to leave town.

Abdullah likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

How many test do you need covered and when? Is Billo ok with strangers? I am not that far away???

4. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

I will most definitely look into that. I was concerned too because I just found out today. I'm going to see if I can postpone this trip or arrange for someone else to go.

omg thank youuu!! I will get back to you! Billo isn't great with strangers so it's going to be difficult. Let me see if I can make arrangements or change the trip and I will get back to you asap!

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

If your vet has implanted the Libre on other cats before, it should work very well. My Ruby didn't tolerate it very well, but perhaps Billo would be more amenable. :) Hope you get it sorted out and let me know if you have any questions about it in the meantime.

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I will be watching for your response. Us sugar parents need to stick together!