1/8 Baby AMPS (No Shot will be given) +20.5 289

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/7 Baby+3 32 +12 36

retest in 15 minutes, please.

sorry, but this could go on for several more hours...

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Let's see. Baby weighs about 1.5lbs less than Webber and Baby got one more unit than Webber. Yes ECID but would it be too hopeful to think another 3-6 hours? Gosh how I hope it is only another 3 hours for you both.

Let's see what the others have to say.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Thanks, will keep testing...

4. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Nicole: Try and eat something, peanutbutter on toast. Just something. You will be wiped out tomorrow. No apologies necessary, this is what this board is all about. The knowledge here is incredible. Breathe, you have lots of support. You will make it through this. How about some strong coffee? May help. Have a drink when it is over.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Nicole,

A couple things to keep in mind.

1) Don't be sorry or feel bad because you need help. You have a serious situation going on and it's because of your strength and willingness to listen and take direction from the people on this board, that you are doing everything you need to do to help Baby.

2) You may not have realized that while you are spending your day and night panicking, Baby is feeling great and enjoying herself. She has no clue anything wrong happened. Take a good long look at her, is she relaxed, is she happy, she's obviously enjoying all the food. She hasn't clue she got too much insulin. So, please don't panic, she's not.

3) While you may not feel like eating, do you have any soda or coffee or even chocolate in your house? Have something with caffeine in, even if it's just a drink. Then maybe you can eat something light, because you really need to have some food in your stomach. I know the thought is gross, but you need to take care of yourself as much as Baby.

And when you do feed Baby, only give her a teaspoon or two of food at a time, with lots of HC and the dextrose from the vet, again the idea is you don't want to overfill her, but she's got to eat to keep the BG's high.

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

nicole, i know this isn't what you want to hear, but i have to say it...
    imho, a kitty continuing to throw 30s at +12 should really be under a vet's care. i think there is too much of a risk treating her at home.
    i know the ER is expensive, but what's happening here is very risky. i'm very uncomfortable with this...
    please let a professional deal with this.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/7 Baby+3 32 +12 36 +12.5 54 +13 59

nicole, please post your updates. if you only edit the subject line your thread will not bump to the top.

that 59 @ +13 is good to see!

8. Nicole & Baby

Thanks, Jill will do :D

9. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hi nicole.
    was alerted to this thread and just read through it. you're doing a great job!
    how much oral dextrose do you have left?
    do not fed her any regular food, only HC until numbers show good trend upwards. don't want her getting full on regular food, every bite should have number rising properties. kwim?

if this continues to the wee hours, you'll be hanging out with me, i'm a vet tech, and i stay up all night and sleep during days so i'll keep you company.
    i'm gonna PM you my phone number so if you get nervous about next number or something, feel free to call, okay?
    hopefully that last number is the beginning of the trend upwards! (but i have seen these last a real long time when i worked at ER, so be ready for long night). have a little coffee or a soda. and don't fall asleep.

okay gonna PM you now....
    hang in there, doing awesome job.

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Jojo's here!

Nicole, you are in wonderful hands with Jojo. She's such a life saver on this board and has helped many, many cats!!!!! :coffee: :coffee: have some, lots of it....

11. Nicole & Baby

Jojo..THANK YOU! I am somewhat snowed in..we did a reading about 30mins ago, it was 36..gave some more dextrose & some gravy..am off to test again here in a few minutes.
    I am up & wide awake..riding this out.. she is Alert & content still...

12. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

WELCOME JOJO!! It's super to see you here. :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Nicole, you are in the very best hands.

13. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +13 59 +14 77

+14 BG 77, but a drop at +13.5, so we are here at 77 with dexatrose & some gravy...but we are here thankfully! Wide awake still & Baby is just chillin...alert & seems just fine.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

awesome! you're doing a great job!

15. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

whew, this is starting to look encouraging. :smile:

You're doing fantastic, I can't believe your great attitude.

16. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I have been following your condo all night and now that it seems to be coming to a conclusion just wanted to congratulate you on your first day of Lantus. Reading this condo has been like a good thriller novel, nailbiting nailbite_smile , laughter :lol: and quite a few times close to tears :cry: but you now have a solid grasp of hypo procedure and you have met all the members of Lantus Land in one day :lol: , quite a feat!

Looking forward to reading your daily condos with more normal topics like constipation and liquipoo...don't ask.
    Hang in there....you're almost done! You've done a fantastic job! :thumbup

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  17. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Nicole!

What an exciting evening for you.. Glad to see that numbers are coming up... phew!!
    Looks like kitty knows how to get some attention.. lol!

Great job.. [​IMG]

18. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

How are you holding up, Nicole? Talking to Jojo the wonder worker?

Hang tight...maybe this is the break you need; maybe this is her liver finally able to overcome the insulin...and maybe she'll drop again later. But great number at 77...hang tight, darlin, hang tight.

Best-
    Michele

19. Nicole & Baby

Thanks everyone! Super scary for nearly 12 hours now (3 hours post the injection was the first BG test to check) Anyway..am planning on staying up all night to see how this rides out.

Jojo, should I keep testing every 30mins or can I wait until the full hour is up & based off that #, see if we need to return to every 30?

20. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm not Jojo, but I think I would get at least one more 1/2 hour test. That will show you if Baby is still rising (hopefully) or if she's going to try to drop again. If it's going up, you might be able to slack off a little on testing (a little, not much!).

21. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +13 59 +14 77 +14.5 97

Couldn't wait..did the .30 testing, 97! Very happy...now..continue to feed high carb? I do know to keep testing..am thinking once an hour now..she is walking around & interested in playing now...am still riding this out...no worries... I AM NOT going to sleep tonight... we are coming up on 15hours!!

22. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

You've done an amazing job today, Nicole, and you are in the absolute best of hands with Jojo around. :smile:

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

yes, continue to feed high carb for awhile yet. we want to make sure baby's numbers continue to rise...

24. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Yes!! a 97!! Nice work, girl...baptism by fire, but you really have it nailed for the next time there's a hypo event. And like I said before, pretty dratted soon you'll know all the tricks for other newbies.

Isn't this forum the best?

Best-
    Michele

25. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Woohoo Nicole and Baby!!!! Hope you are out of the woods.

You are the bomb baby flip_cat

26. paige

paige Well-Known Member

YES IT IS!!

27. Nicole & Baby

Thanks everyone! We all have had a heck of a day (yes that includes all of you!) Thankfully you all have been around!

Jill.. I will continue high carb & test again in 30mins (which would make it an hour since last testing) She is definitely up & moving around..

28. Jill & Alex (GA)

sounds good to me!

29. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Very good job today in managing your crisis! It was very impressive to read your posts - it didn't sound like you panicked and you stuck with it. I hope your numbers cont to rise. What a welcome to LL, eh!

30. Nicole & Baby

Joyce....thanks!
    Welcome is right!! Thankfully Baby is a tough lil lady & has all of you offering minute by minute advice! She has went to lay down (what is she thinking?? It is only nearly 1am here LOL)
    Anyway..will test again in 12mins... which will be our 1 hour read...hoping it is steady or increasing!! Ready to go back to the Raw & Wellness LOL
    Still going to stay up for quite some time..more than likely all night... too nervous!!

31. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +13 59 +15.5 134

YAY! +15.5 134, very excited! Now some questions:
    1. She wants to go to sleep, I dont want her to go unconcious..I dont know how that typically happens during a hypo. I am NOT going to bed, but can she? I will get her up in an hour & test again.
    2. Can the low carb (Wellness) come back out again? I have finally got her & her sister switched & am a little nervous with this FF & Friskies Gravy out.

I still have a syringe full of 50% Dextrose/Water, HC canned food & full bottle of Karo Syrup & Honey too.

I think we will be Ok...what am I missing? Any suggestions?

32. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

awesome! it is ending.
    really getting a series of readings all going in right way, the insulin is finally starting to fade.

i even see a bed in your future!

gonna chat with some others about my thoughts about tomorrow morning. one of us will come back to chat with you about what we think adn what you think and what shoudl be done. k?

33. Nicole & Baby

Sounds great!! Can she go to sleep if I get her up to test?

34. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Hooray Nicole! That's got to be one of the happiest 134s ever posted in this forum. I hope this means the crisis has truly been averted...

35. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

1. She wants to go to sleep, I dont want her to go unconcious..I dont know how that typically happens during a hypo. I am NOT going to bed, but can she? I will get her up in an hour & test again.

~yes she can take a cat nap. they like to sleep, is the nature of being a cat. just not quite bed time for you just yet, k? (set an alarm just in case you get wisked away to land of nod, it happens! been a very long emotional day, you gotta be very exhausted)

2. Can the low carb (Wellness) come back out again? I have finally got her & her sister switched & am a little nervous with this FF & Friskies Gravy out.

~sure. that last number makes me pretty comfortable. just do not let her pig out on the LC in case we need to guide numbers a bit more in a bit.

so she gets snackus and sleepus. :)
    and we'll brb....

36. Nicole & Baby

Laura/Jojo.........thank you!!! flip_cat
    No sleep for me for sure..will let her sleep though..she has not napped all day/night.. will bring out the Wellness for when snack time comes..they tend to free feed..
    Will test again on the hour mark.

37. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Nicole, you are amazing! I'm glad to see Baby is moving in the right direction. Take care of yourself, too, though. Hope you can get some sleep soon!

38. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

This was nice to wake up to this morning, looks like the party is winding down. You've done well Nicole and Baby is a real trooper too. She was certainly enjoying all that food! I hope you both can get some rest after a bit.

Funny thing is, (ok I am about half a day ahead of you in time) in the evening I had answered your post on Health about the .5U mark, with the picture. A few hours later after my dinner I checked in and saw Baby had gone really low at +3. I went to watch my TV show and I kept thinking about it, and was really wondering if perhaps the dose could have measured wrong. I turned my computer back on before bed and was going to suggest a measuring error and you had just figured that out.

Glad things are turning around now, and I know you won't make that mistake again! We have all goofed somehow at some point, we learn from it and move on.

Oh and Welcome to LL, did I tell you we do this with everyone, it's like RUSH initiation into the club :D

39. Nicole & Baby

Linda was the 1st to point out that maybe I had given 5 instead of .5 (I would have NEVER figured that out!!)
    Thankfully her quick eye & response...helped me identify I had a Hypo on my hands... gosh... it sure helped get attention on it quick.
    Deep breaths still here...13 hours after learning about my dosing error & 1 trip to the ER Vet...along with a friendly furry community that is no less than the VERY BEST! xoxoxoxo

40. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +13 59 +15.5 134 +16.5 93

Getting nervous... 93
    Was expecting a higher reading than last.

41. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

that is fine, expected numbers to bobble a little. 93 is still a very safe number. no worries.
    did she eat in this last hour?
    no need to do anything right now. all you are seeing is "the real" number as some of that sugar and carbs you gave before wear off. this is still a really good number. and it is a real, not sugar inflated number, so it is all good.

42. Nicole & Baby

She had eaten a little Wellness Chicken canned in that hour.
    Thank you for letting me know this is Ok...she is laying in my lap purring & cleaning herself..while I stare at the clock waiting for our next test in 37mins!! @-)

43. Jill & Alex (GA)

you're holding up very well, nicole! like jojo said, everything is fine.

jojo, cassandra, and i have been going over the day's events. let's do this in the morning... NO shot.

the numbers may be high, but that's the body's way of reacting to those lower numbers from the day before. the first drop from the 200s to the 20s triggered that reaction. it's just that there was so much insulin on board that the bounce into higher numbers was delayed and will be showing up shortly. the numbers will come down on their own as the rebound hormones clear naturally. it can take up to 3 days to clear the hormones out, but she might do it a lot quicker. in fact, we think she will. we just think she needs to be left alone and let her body even out. we can restart insulin tomorrow night if the numbers say so.

how does that sound to you?

oh and that means a whole lot of sleeping for both of you tomorrow. a nice quiet snow day. :D

44. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +13 59 +15.5 134 +16.5 93 +17.5 100

Jill/Jojo/Cassandra, thank you for your expert minds & no doubt I am listening! We just did our +17.5 100 YAY!!
    No food in this hour, she was on my lap purring & I had to get her up to test...it is 3am here! She must have known I needed company..most importanly hers...what better way to watch her, then just look down :D
    Still going to stay up & test again in an hour. I am not giving any HC anymore..we are back on our diet. When should I test again? In an hour?

45. Jill & Alex (GA)

it's 3am here, 4am by jojo, and i'm not sure which time zone cassandra is in. :lol:
    testing in an hour is fine...

46. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Hi Nicole. Just wanted to pop in and say hello, and congratulate you on surviving your first and (paws crossed) hopefully only major crisis!! I've been following along for hours, biting my nails, and it looks like things are turning around. You've done an incredible job and have earned a huge cocktail, pile of fries, massage, whatever floats your boat. I hope you and Baby get some fabulous sleep/cuddle time today.

47. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Aw, come on! :lol: I'm in the twilight zone.....is that a time zone? ;-)

In all seriousness - I'm in MI - EST like Jojo. And I'm a late nighter, also like Jojo and often Jill too. I'll be with you for at least a few more hours. Everything is looking very good right now, and I think the morning off will give you a great chance to recharge. I know you must need it!

48. Nicole & Baby

I can NEVER repay any of you!! But can guarantee I will pay it forward. Bless all of you for allowing Baby & I into your world... we will test again at 4am & hopefully can get some rest soon!! :YMHUG:

49. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Woohoo-you did good :mrgreen:

Very relieved you went to ER.
    I know you've had a baptism of fire but there's nothing like experience to prepare you for what's to come ;-)

Now you know you can handle a crisis, stay awake and stay calm any low numbers in the future are gonna seem like a breeze :D

Will be interesting to see where she goes after all that yummy sugary stuff.
    The fact that she ate LC when offered I don't think you should have a problem returnng her to it.I think I agree on longest thread ever!
    And now you can see why everyone is proud to be an FDMB member, all look out for each other newbie and old.

Enjoy your sleepus when it comes I-)

50. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hey there! i had to go feed my ferals and shoot my own cat, just got back. good i see jill posted the morning plan. so did you understand everything or anything in that?
    i don;t know how much reading you have done before tonight, i see on SS you have been testing for a while but this all must be so WTH!!??!! to you.

see what happens is that her body has been hanging out in numbers of a higher range, so what happens is that her body got used to that range as "normal" so when it got those low numbers today a whole series of biochemical reactions take place in her body all with one goal~ to get numbers up higher, back to that range.
    now what could happen over night is that that reaction was started and they can start it easy but don't exactly know when to turn it off, so it becomes an 'overreaction' and numbers can shoot up past that higher range she was used to and way way up. so do not panic if you get a real high number on meter when you wake up. it is normal. (and we will know by how high that over reaction number is how much partial pancreatic function she has, if it is not sky high, means her pancreas helped to quiet the overreaction a little, but don't worry about that, too much to understand all at once).
    don't know if that helps or just makes it more confusing, best i can do at 4:52 am! lolol.

what time zone are you in? how long until next test? would like to tuck you in soon, hoomans need to sleep.

51. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby +16.5 93 +20.5 289

Jojo...... I am in CST (Central Time Zone)
    Just did her 18.5 104 (very happy)
    I am hoping we are nearly out of the woods... am wondering if we should do a 5am test, or if we can wait a few hours now? I will definitely read much more about this & completely agree to do what you experts suggets, thank you to all of you...for staying with me all day & night AND explaining everything in detail... this newbie mind needs it.... Baby & I thank you (Sadi too - for bringing her sister back) xoxoxoxo

52. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Re: 1/7 Baby +15.5 134 +16.5 93 +18.5 104

Wow.....

You are amazing..you do realize that you, with the support of this board, kept this situation from being a tragedy?

Really well done... I went through hypo on 4 units caninsulin and while mine was a shorter duration, it was terrifying.
    It changes the way you look at things forever and one day not so far away, you will be the one reaching out to others so no one ever has to go it alone when scared because of what you experienced today.

Please give yourself a (((hug))) and give that Baby major scritches.

The team that is here are wonderful and I would trust them with the life of every one of my furries.

The sticky gets better with a warm wash cloth, and once she is recovered, she will give herself a really good bath.
    Chocolate, lots of it..have you eaten yet?
    May I suggest, as all the adrenaline is sorting itself out in your body, that a few cold glasses of water may be a good idea now along with some food?

Kimmee

53. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Iff she hasn't eaten since the 100 she's stabilised a little, the 2 numbers are effectively the same (roughly a 20% meter variance)

If you want to set your mind at rest, get yourself ready for bed and do one last test and if still rising then she's headed in the right direction and you can get some well earned sleep.
    Hopefully Jojo will come back in a bit to double check on you.

She's in a safe number but you want to make sure she's not wobbling.

54. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

she is doing just great. if next test has given a nice jump up, you get some sleep too? sure she is sleeping away.
    it is 6 am here and normally woulds not be a problem, but i just got bad chills come on suddenly (the kind you get right before a big fever) so i have to turn off computer, (shaking too hard to type).

you are up to +18.5 and numbers are nice and steady in a very safe range. i would not turn off computer if i was not sure your kitty was gonna be just fine.

so i have to go but there is TONS of peeps around, the crazy late late nighters, the crazy early early morning peeps, and the Europeans that this is a perfectly fine time to be awake will all be here watching and ready to answer any questions.

you get some sleep too okay?
    did such an awesome job today, really be very proud of yourself. :cool:

55. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Nicole...

...so proud of you for making it through the night.
    I hope you can get some rest today and snuggles with Baby and the rest of your furry crew, you deserve it!

56. Nicole & Baby

Yikes! (Was warned about this) +20.5 289 Baby is Back!!
    Hate that yellow # (after seeing my greens/blues just a few hours ago) But we are out of the woods & I think it is time for bed!!!! : )
    Still sticking with the suggestion of not shooting this AM...will keep you all well informed & I do hope Baby enjoyed her high carb party yesterday - I did not :mrgreen:
    Hugs to all of you & Thank you again!!!!

P.S Thank you to Ronnie..if you would not have "nudged" me to do a +3 BG, I would have NEVER caught this as early as I did..Baby showed NO symptoms throughout really, but especially not at +3

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you...this newbie would NOT have tested at +3.

**When should I begin a new condo? Hate for others to have to go thru this one..I might do that in a few hours (after some sleep)

57. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole, u can begin a new condo whenever you're ready, just remember to link this one to your new thread.

(aw thanks, but this whole adventure was a team effort! All of us here in LL became one big Team yesterday to help you get through this!)
    Get some rest!

58. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Nighty, nighty Nicole! Yoiu did a great job. Actually this isn't all that bad, she is not really higher than she was without insulin. It could continue to rise a bit, but if it stays level or even goes down some it could be a good sign that her own pancreas is producing some insulin. That means she has a big chance of not needing insulin for very long and becoming completely diet-controlled!

We look forward to seeing a new condo and where Baby is at when you wake up. Just remember lot's of others have made that same mistake or simular, I know you won't again. I have seen it happen several times, yet we don't seem to learn from the mistakes of others. Everytime I slap my forhead and say "I should have predicted this" Yesterday when I answered your post on Health just after you shot a little something was telling me, I hope she really knew where the .5U mark is, that's why I posted the picture, then I thought oh of course she knows that she just wanted to know what we call it, so I wrote it's called .5U or a half-unit.

I know I couldn't have prevented because you asked after you had injected. Just wish we could make sure everyone knows exactly how to measure and be sure they have the right type of syringes before they give that first dose.

I have studied medicine although I don't have much to do with insulin or diabetics I should know that syringes are not always universal for all medicines. I used a different insulin before Levemir it was a different concentration U40 (meaning 40 units per ml fluid) you use U40 syringes which I had a box of. When I was going to switch to Levemir which like Lantus is U100, I needed new syringes for U100 insulin. I spent several hours beating my head trying figure out if I could calculate how much that would be if I used those U40 syringes I already had. It doesn't work and it is nearly impossible to be able to measure it, I was just so upset over "wasting supplies" and thinking hey I'm good with math and I know this stuff I could have really messed things up. Don't feel bad ok.....We enjoyed the chance to get to know you and Baby so much so soon!

59. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I hope you are getting some much needed rest right now Nichole! I just got finished reading your condo and I really have to say that you handled this whole situation amazingly!!! You certainly were baptized on your first day of dosing and hopefully this is NOT the beginning of things to come :razz:
    And to all the folks who helped out today, you are all angels and wonderful folks!! This board is amazing!!!

60. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It was good to wake up this morning and see the expected outcome -- Baby was fine, BG levels were up (and maybe not done going up), and you were getting some sleep. This experience has, no doubt, been the least typical welcome to LL and one of the longest condos I've seen (I've not been here all that long), but it is a very dramatic example of what this place is all about, how it works, and how well we all work together. So, welcome to this incredible community. I'm hoping that your condo for today is much, much calmer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.