1/8 | Maya | AMPS 101 | +3 120 | +9 164 | Do I administer at +12?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by marisofigia, Jan 8, 2021.

1. marisofigia

marisofigia Member

Friends,

On our third day using Lantus, I'm afraid I may have made a crucial mistake. Maya was consistently in the high 200s during the first two days, until today's AMPS when her BG was 101. My mistake was that I still gave her insulin after that. She dipped to the 70s and then I kept checking every 30 minutes, feeding her and using the hypo kit, until she stabilized at around 160.

Question is, what do I do now? Do I give her the next dose of insulin?

Thank you all in advance...

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Post her pmps number. If lower than used to stall. DON’T feed and ask for advice.

marisofigia likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hello Marisofi, You made no mistake and did very well! 101 is a safe number to shoot, and as we like to say around here, shoot low to stay low! Lantus is an insulin that works well at keeping blood glucose low at lower numbers. Chances are Maya will probably bounce from the green number she got earlier and you will probably be able to give her insulin at your regular time. It's all about your level of comfort at this point. But I have to say that so far you are both having a very good day at the beach!

marisofigia likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

Please add TR to your signature. With TR when shooting a bg number you aren’t used to, ask for help. Most following TR will shoot an bg and over. If over 100 yiu should be fine. Just get a +1 and +2.

marisofigia likes this.
  5. marisofigia

marisofigia Member

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

Yes. Administer the full dose.

marisofigia likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

Add your pmps to the title as well as any tests you get. Good job.

marisofigia likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lovely cycle today. :cool:

marisofigia likes this.
  9. marisofigia

marisofigia Member

Thank you all. Is it normal that she just spiked again? With Caninsulin, her BG levels would always decrease after the shot. I guess I'm worried...

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lantus onset is not until +2 to +3 for most cats. When you test at +1, you get an idea how much of a "food bump" she sees from her dinner. A later test will tell you whether it's just a food bump, or a bounce in reaction to that green today. Her body is also not used to spending such a long stretch of time in those lovely blues as she did today.

marisofigia likes this.
  11. marisofigia

marisofigia Member

Thank you, I get it now...

Wendy&Neko likes this.