1-9 Sasha PM PS 166 help needed now

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by seamist, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamist

seamist Member

I have not been able to test for a couple of days. Sasha has been on two units of Lantus twice a day for 5 days. (He was on Novalin N for three weeks prior to that, and then just diagnosed.) His last blood glucose a few days ago was 533. It was 166 at 7pm and I have never seen it this low. Since he is new to Lantus, and I am new to testing, I do not know what to do. He ate dinner at 7 pm at the same time as I tested his blood glucose, and he would normally get his pm shot now. What should I do??

Sasha's mom

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Just take a deep breath and wait until someone with some experience can help out.

I'm too new at this game to give this type of advice but I know breathing helps :D and someone will be along soon.

3. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I would not feed and test again in 30 minutes. Let's see what way he is headed.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe you could retest and come back with the number....even though you did feed him already...ok?

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Did you get to walmart for the relion meter and strips after we met?

The number of strips you do (or dont) have is an important consideration.

6. seamist

seamist Member

I did get the relion and strips. I have not opened the box yet. I will do that now, and see if I can get a test with the new meter and what the result is.

7. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

First, breathe. Sasha will be all right as long as YOU are alright. It's hard.

Second, that's not too low. Yes, it's a big drop, but I've seen bigger (ahem, Esse...);

Third, can you test again, and give the results?

Fourth, do you have a hypo kit ready?

Fifth, make a happy orange; you might be here for a while tonight.

Hang in there, all right? You are going to be just fine.

Best-
    Michele

8. carolynandlatte

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

9. carolynandlatte

PS- if you still have the few contour strips I gave ya...use them for the next test....just so you are not fiddling with something new. In the meantime you could familiarize yourself with it because you will likely want to use that meter and the strips for further testing this evening.

10. Cassandra and Sasha

Good that you got the strips. How tied to your current dosing schedule are you now? If you stall the shot for an hour or two tonight, would it be a problem in the days to come because of work or other obligations? We want to make sure that he has a clear rise in BGs going before you shoot, and that you are comfortable enough with testing in order to test again tonight when you shoot (maybe multiple times). We can help walk you through it, and I know Carolyn has already done a fantastic job there too. :smile:

Also, do you have high carb canned food in the house? Do not feed it now, just want to know if you have it on hand.

11. seamist

seamist Member

I can go a little later than the 7 am 7 pm shots. I have been feeding him Wellness canned food, and I have some higher carb food that Carolyn gave me. ( I have only been sucessful testing his blood glucose while he is eating.)

12. Cassandra and Sasha

That's good. :smile: Let's try and get another test in then and see where he is. If you have to do it with food, make it just a tiny bite of LC food if possible. We don't want to have a food spike being too influential in the BGs when determining when to shoot.

13. carolynandlatte

Sheryl,
    The higher carb food is going to be the friskies packets with juice, or if I gave you any cans with gravy. The Friskies - chicken/liver, poultry platter, etc (most of what I gave you today) is not high carb according to Janet and Binky's chart. They are all around 6-7 in content. Do you happen to have honey or karo syrup in the house? Im not saying you need it or even will need it. But it should be in the house for future reference.

You will be able to move your shot time back, slowly. Lets be clear that you will not likely be able to shoot at 7 tomorrow a.m., okay?

Look forward to seeing the next number...hope you can get it w/o feeding!!! ;-)

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sheryl:

Cassandra is one of the experienced people here on the Board. I know all of the names are new. Cassandra will direct you through this. The rest of us are here for support.

15. seamist

seamist Member

last shot was a 7 am, 2 units Lantus. 7pm blood glucose was 166 on the Contour Meter. 8:05 pm 165 with the Relion Micro.

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

ok good, he's not still dropping. I'd like you to wait a little bit longer so we can get a clear rise before shooting - can you test again in 1/2 hour?

Also, can you remove the 911 from your first post, since you have people watching you now? It makes my heart jump a little bit whenever I see it. :lol: If you do need help and people aren't noticing, you can change the title of your first post, and post a new reply in your thread that will make your post get bumped to the top.

Thanks!

17. seamist

seamist Member

I will test again at about 8:45 pm. I can't stay up all night because my health is not great and I have a toddler to take care of in addition to Sasha.

18. seamist

seamist Member

8:57 pm Relion Meter 166. It is 14 hours after his 2 units of Lantus and his blood glucose seems to be staying at 166. What does that mean? Should I skip his PM insulin shot?

19. Cassandra and Sasha

We usually try to not skip if at all possible. The number is staying steady and we want to get something in his shed tonight, especially give his past ketone history.

Will you be able to test again tonight?

20. seamist

seamist Member

I can test one more time before I go to bed. But I don't want to give him a shot if it will make his blood glucose go too low during the night.

21. Cassandra and Sasha

He is going to probably bounce from this and have higher numbers afterward, both from his body not recognizing these lower numbers and also from the delayed shot. We want to try and get some insulin in him if at all possible. How do you feel about shooting 1u tonight instead of the usual 2u dose?

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I just want to throw this out as food for thought...

If I understand correctly, you are shooting at 7 AM/PM. It also sounds like you are an early to bed person which is, on nights like tonight, going to effect your ability to stay up and get a test or two in. Is it feasible to adjust your shot times to earlier? I wish I could say that we all go to bed at our usual times and get lots of sleep. There are some nights when you really do need to be up to monitor BG levels. It might be easier, given health and family responsibilities, if your PM shot was earlier. (At least in the morning, you could get up, test, feed, ad shoot, and go back to bed.)

23. Cassandra and Sasha

It would be best to:

- Test now for current BG
    - Shoot insulin (1u instead of 2u)
    - Test again at +1 from the shot
    - Shoot next shot 12 hours past tonight's shot time, not your normal shot time

Does that make sense?

24. seamist

seamist Member

9:44 pm 205. Should I give two units of Lantus? One unit???

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

See Cassandra's note above yours -- 1 unit.

26. seamist

seamist Member

9:44 pm blood glucose 205. Gave 1 unit Lantus instead of the usual two.

Thank you for all your guidance.

27. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good, got a little bump there and got some insulin in him. Please get at least a +1 test before you go to bed, ok? And remember, tomorrow's shot is due 12 hours after this one, not at your usual time. We can help you get back onto your preferred schedule later.

Great job tonight!

ps... tomorrow you can work on your spreadsheet, yes? :D

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 1-9 Update please with +1

Please let us know what Sasha's +1 test was.

29. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

any update? :smile:

30. seamist

seamist Member

There is no +1 shot. My health is not good, and I usually go to bed at 9 pm. Sleep deprivation is very bad for me and if I get too sick I will end up in the hospital and not able to take care of my 19 month old son.

6:30 am, 8 hours 45 minutes after his nightime shot blood glucose on the relion meter is 148

Sasha's mom

31. carolynandlatte

Good Morning Sheryl! :mrgreen:

Just a reminder NOT to give Sasha's shot right now. Since it will be a few hours before you are scheduled to give it, I would think its fine to feed sasha some food....which Im assuming you did because thats when you test.

If you could, the next time you log in, start a new post.
    The subject line will say:

1/10 Sasha AMPS 148 Advice Please!

You can copy and paste what you wrote just now:
    Then, make sure you check back as often as possible BEFORE giving the shot for suggestions, thoughts and ideas from someone who has much experience in situations like this. Make sure to stay in the conversation. People care so much around here. When there is no response for a while everyone worries sooooo much! Anytime you have a question or new numbers TODAY, reply to that post. Tomorrow...you would start a new post with the date 1/11. :D

I hope you got a good nights sleep and feel refreshed this a.m.

You are going to be a- okay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.