10/1 Tucker 12 AMPS 202, +3.5 72, +6 79

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker12, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Previous

Things have been a bit of a challenge here as of late. Really struggling with testing, and having to leave him for the entire day. Tried three different lancing devices, and it would be smooth for one or two tests and then nothing.

I am hoping I can get things back to a good routine like we had for the the first two weeks, and he settles down for testing. I switched to hand-lancing this morning and it seemed to be more smooth/able to more accurately poke where I want. He is always ok for one or two pokes--it is if I don't get enough with those things get testy. Looking into a meter that takes less blood too, but I do want to use up the strips I just bought for this meter.

Yesterday, I had to leave after a 2.8 (50) at +4 so ended up feeding him some MC and leaving some in his feeder too. Because of my being called away from home the past few days, I have decided I am going to hold at the 0.5 until I have gotten enough data through the day for several cycles without me propping him up with MC foods and with sufficient testing to tell me more info.

Have a good day everyone!

Diane Tyler's Mom and AmandaE like this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Safe is best if you are not home to test. All data is good data.
    You could try a larger lancet needle gauge, perhaps a 26 or 28. (The smaller the number, the larger the needle.)
    Also, play with the depth the lancet punctures. With the FreeStyle Lite lancet device, Rover's needed the 2nd, sometimes 3rd setting. My finger needs the 1st and smallest.

3. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see what the pharmacy has. I tried four different depth settings, and was still not getting a good sample. One of my devices, I discovered the spring wasn't working to actually "poke" the lancet out. I just free-handed another test, and it seems to be quicker and less stressful for him. I might grab a box of bigger gauge ones just to have on hand incase.

+3.5 sitting at 72. Fed LC lunch as usual. Nice to see some green, hope he decides to go for a nice surf today.

4. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I much prefer hand lancing, I felt really out of control with the lancing device and settled in quickly to hand lancing. I’m glad you’re already seeing an improvement :)

I really like the Freestyle Lite, it requires very little blood and reads quickly. You can get one at shoppers with the purchase of 100 test strips($75-80 CAD) for free :) the freestyle lancets are 28 gauge and about $11 CAD for 100. I just read that @Wendy&Neko four. Safeway pharmacy in her neighbourhood had the best prices in her neighbourhood so it could be worth checking out ;)

Quite a drop for Tucker today nice seeing him in some greens :D

Tucker12 likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice surfing so far.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I eventually switched to the Onetouch Delica lancets. 33g, once Neko’s ears were used to bleeding. And yes, less that $11 at Safeway pharmacy. Even insulin was cheaper. Funnily enough, the store was a couple buildings away from a Shoppers, who charged at least 10% more for everything. London Drugs also gives a feee meter with strips. Do ask around, I found price differences on everything.