10/13 Peabody new (day 6) to insulin but not home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peabody's mom Dorene, Oct 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peabody's mom Dorene

Peabody's mom Dorene New Member

Hi, I feel very unprepared by my vet in regard to home checking BG. I was not instructed by the vet to do so.
    Vet checked BG on 10/2 @ 488 during an ER visit for diarrhea when I suspected diabetes and then they checked again 10/7 @ 380's.
    I was sent home with Lantus (from donated stock at the Vet) and syringes and told to administer 1 unit every 12 hours and come back in 7-10 days for BG check. Since starting Lantus on 10/8 he's strictly been getting Fancy Feast Classic (prior was every Fancy Feast flavor/texture). He has not been his usual self since about day3, in fact today has been the worst. After eating and getting his AM shot he goes and hides in an almost unreachable corner. I check on him and he looks at me but stays put. He has gotten several small meals during the afternoon today but still is not himself. I did not give the PM 1 unit dose. I'm not sure if he's just not happy with getting shots twice a day or possibly hypoglycemia (but by reading symptoms I don't think so) or dose is not working???
    After half can at 7P and 9P he finally at 9:15P ET came to sit with me.
    Should I test at home even if the vet hasn't recommended it at this early stage?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dorene, yes I would definitely start home testing, you don't need your vets
    ok to test.
    How old is the lantus, what is the expiration date on it.
    First off you should test before giving insulin to make sure it's a safe number to
    shoot

Some cats don't show signs if they are hypo
    You want to test during each 12 hour cycle to see how the insulin is working

Most of us use a human meter from Walmart, the Relion Prime or the Relion
    Premier
    The Prime is 9 dollars and 17.88 for 100 test strips
    You will need 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    Some cotton rounds

Is he peeing and pooping OK
    I would definitely start testing , it's the only way to keep Peabody safe.
    I will post a video one of our members posted testing her kitty
    She will be using a pet meter that needs to be coded, with the human
    meters you don't have to do that

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

• It would be helpful if you can set up your signature
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people

Tyler/ 12yr / Dx 9/2018 /Vetsulin 9-2018-12-2018 RELION PRIME LANTUS started on 12/30/19 /Was

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Peabody's mom Dorene likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Not knowing Peabodys usual "self" It sounds to me like hes not feeling well.

Your greatest tool with feline diabetes id home testing Peabody's blood sugar. Look at it this way Would you shoot insulin into your child without KNOWING it is safe to do so? My husband is a diabetic and he would NEVER shoot insulin without a test first.

This is your best defense . Nan has give you the tools. Its up to you to learn to use them. Its scary we know, we have ll been in your shoes. We are here to help you along the way. ;):bighug:
    jeanne

10. Peabody's mom Dorene

I will be going out this morning to buy a glucometer and supplies. Definitely will feel more in control of the situation knowing what his BG is before shooting insulin.
    Also wanted to reply to make sure my signature line is showing up. I see my spread sheet on the signature didn't show up, on my initial post last night.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Well done! All set up and ready!

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Peabody's mom Dorene

Thank you all. Tonight was the first successful BG check, it did and will take 2 of us for some time, but I did it.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Yaaaay welcome to the vampire club. :p

Peabody's mom Dorene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.