10/14 Jill AMPS 211 / +4 100 / PMPS 157 / +2 115 / + 3 98 / +4 98

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Jill (the cat), Oct 14, 2021.

1. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's been a while since you've seen green. I think Jill needs an increase unless you see green today.

3. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Thank you for the quick response! I agree. I tried to increase on 10/9 and she dropped to 49 but I want to try again.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would try the increase again and try hard to prevent any drop under 50. I know she’s good at surprising you. On 10/9 dose d you feed 15-20% when she was at 50? She started lower that day so I would have gotten a +2 and fed mc to prevent that drop.

5. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I haven't figured out the lc/mc/hc combos that work for her yet since sometimes she drops a lot and other times not. But I like this idea and I will keep it in mind for pre-shot meals for sure! I have started feeding 2% instead of 5% when she's near or over 200. Not sure such a small difference in percentages does anything though.

6. tiffmaxee

When she gets in the 50’s early by +3-4 try 9-10%, just a couple teaspoons. I bet she was green earlier which is why I suggest a +2 when starting green or low blue. It will warn you if an active cycle if around +2 is lower than the amps/pmps. Max would onset around +2.5. If it was the same or lower than the preshot I would test in an hour. If low I’d feed a little 10%.

You need to get Jill to put together strings of green. Feeding the curve might help with that goal.

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

I like what Elise said, if changing the dose isn't achieving what you want, maybe adjusting food will get the results.
    Bhooma reminds me to test early to get ahead of the drop when Temp is lower. Seems to help things on our end.
    Good luck!

8. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I also feed her 0% carbs when all the other cats have their dinner (her +9). Can I try 0 carbs at pre-shots or is that looking for trouble?
    @smorgasbord

9. smorgasbord

I also do 0% at his last feeding before shot time, (+10). You could experiment and see what the difference does? I'd try and give some amount of carbs at least early in the cycle. Carb % of a mouse is 7%, after all.

10. Debra and Jill (the cat)

OMG, how do you know that?!

11. smorgasbord

But that's a really good thought, after all the AMPS is usually higher, so hmm. Maybe it is good to also keep the carbs lower before the AM cycle as well. I'll have to think on that one, coffee hasn't really kicked in yet.

12. smorgasbord

We may have a pound of ground up mouse in the freezer from Hare Today... :nailbiting:

13. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Whaaaaatttt???

14. tiffmaxee

No. My point is to feed more carbs if the cycle might be active. You want to prevent a drop. That is exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Some cats need more carbs to keep them surfing green and low blue.

You don’t want to feed hc but 10-15% to prevent a big drop or drop under 50.

15. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I looked it up. Ground mouse is pricey!! Hipe your baby likes that delicacy.

smorgasbord likes this.
  16. smorgasbord

It's a total bust so far. Weirdest thing was, when I presented it to him (it's like identical to ground meat in how it looks, so not gnarly like I expected) he almost BATTED it! Like he recognized it was mouse.
    But nope, won't eat it.
    I'll just leave this here, and depending on your bravery at this hour in the morning, you can click through to peruse the choices.
    https://hare-today.com

17. tiffmaxee

18. smorgasbord

But what about feeding 0% ~3 hours before AMPS to try and keep that number lower?
    Of course being a morning reading, you don't know for sure if it's going to be high, unless you were up all night monitoring. And in that case, if she's likely to be lower, carb away?

19. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I got ya - Wondering if it could go either way, though -- feeding lower or no carbs with a lower insulin dose vs a higher insulin dose and needing to feed mc. I mean, can't she just TELL me what she wants?!

20. tiffmaxee

Feeding low at amps is fine IF the amps is high. When it’s low she will likely go under 50. I used to feed the curve all the time. My point was addressing the cycle when Jill was lower at amps and she had increased that day. She needed higher carbs to prevent that drop. By needing to decrease she spent several cycles not seeing green.

smorgasbord likes this.
  21. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I admit I feel a little queasy about what's on this site!! Funny about the swatting. The feline instinct is strong!

22. Debra and Jill (the cat)

I agree, I should have fed her something else that day that was higher in carbs. Learning every day!

23. smorgasbord

Like, did they really need to use those photos! Smells like a toy, not food. :banghead:

Looking at your SS and recent cycles, looks like getting a +2 would be a game changer in preventing drops.

24. tiffmaxee

I agree.

25. Debra and Jill (the cat)

26. tiffmaxee

Trial and error. Record everything you feed an when. You are feeding low carbs. I would start getting a +2 and if lower than amps feed a little 5-9%. Then test at +3 and see what happens.

27. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Increased to 3.75 units tonight.

28. tiffmaxee

Looks like you might very well have an active cycle tonight. What did you feed at +2?

29. Debra and Jill (the cat)

She ate lc at +1 and +2 last night which worked out for her, but in hindsight because of her lower PMPS, I should have fed her mc. Habits are hard to break. She was higher this morning so she got lc again pre-shot.