10/15/19 Willow - Opinion on starting Trial, please...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, Oct 15, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

last post

Hi all, hope you and your kitties are all doing well!

So, tonight will be cycle 28 of drop dosing. Willow is doing great, and I believe ready for her OTJ trial.

However, she currently has either a UTI, or a flare-up of FIC. She was doing so very, very well; then, after our move upstairs and a trip to the vet for her post-antibiotic urine culture &sensitivity (which showed no bacterial growth) she started having symptoms again.

We increased her dose of Amoxil (which she is on low-dose nightly anyway, and which is the antibiotic which cleared her last infection), but she still occasionally shows symptoms. We weren't able to get an appointment with her new vet until this coming Thursday. Her symptoms have definitely improved with the increase in Amoxil, but still...

So, with the upcoming stress of another vet trip and cysto for another culture/sensitivity, should we begin her OTJ trial tomorrow morning, or wait until after Thursday?

Thanks so much, with love, Nikki

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear Willow is still dealing with a UTI. Are you giving d-mannose along with the AB? That is what helped clear up Furball's UTI when the AB didn't work. I think you can start the OTJ trial now and just know when you go to the vet her numbers may go up that day from the stress. As long as they come back down she'll be okay. A lot of cats have weird jumps up in their numbers for a day during an OTJ trial. Here are the instructions for whenever you decide to start it.

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Bobbie And Bubba and nslade001 like this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Hi Nikki! So sorry about Willow's UTI but glad she'll be seeing the vet soon, I hope they can figure this out once and for all. I would try the d-mannose as Carla suggested also.
    What exciting times for you all, starting a OTJ trial! :D:D:D
    Keep posting Willow's numbers so we can cheer you on! Wishing you the very best of luck! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE and nslade001 like this.
  4. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

How exciting that Willow is ready for an OTJ trial!! I might be tempted to wait until Thursday so that you don’t have potentially high numbers from stress marring your SS

At the same time, if you put a note in the SS explaining the stress of the day I think that would be considered if the trial was a pass or fail!

either way, like Sonia I hope you’ll post daily so that we can cheer you on as you go through the trial :joyful:

nslade001 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I would second the D-mannose that Carla mentioned. It is great for keeping UTIs at bay. I’m presently giving to my mom who had 2 in a row and no more infections since I stated her on 4 months ago.

nslade001 likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

nslade001, Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  7. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, thanks! We did have Willow on D-Mannose, a good dose, for over 6 months as we tried to deal with her urinary tract issues (the now brand) We used it alone and also with antibiotics. Also corn silk extract. Not to say I won't start her on it again, but when that 2nd or 3rd large bottle was finished, I just didn't reorder....whatever she had at the time apparently wasn't helped by it. But it's a good reminder, and maybe I ought to start her on it again...
    With love, Nikki

Bobbie And Bubba and Sonia & Leo like this.