10/17 Ruby AMPS 136, +6 141, PMPS 524, +2 462

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Increased her dose to 2U two days ago, she seemed to be doing fine until I woke up this morning and realized she didn’t finish her food from last night. Tested and decided it was too low to shoot right now. Put a plate of MC Hill’s MD dry in front of her hoping she will eat something. Very worried.

EDIT +.5 and still won’t eat. Skip shot?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: Added question
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Just fed her a little mirtazapine.

3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm sorry Ruby isn't eating. Hopefully some others will come by and give advice as I don't have enough experience. With that said, it would be helpful on your spreadsheet to enter "NS" (no shot) if you skip a shot. I see a few blank cells for units in the AM and PM for the past few days and those with more experience are going to wonder if you gave a shot or not before they give advice.

Hope that helps a little and the mirtz helps Ruby :bighug:

4. JaxBenji

Just saw you also posted on Health - here's the link to that post for anyone that may come along.

5. Katherine&Ruby

Thank you? I’ve filled in the blanks!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  6. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hi!

I see the post in health too. Which post would you like to continue on this morning? Perhaps the Lantus board?
    @Critter Mom

7. thebigfuzz

Also, from the SS, did you give 2 units this morning? Did she eat some?

8. Katherine&Ruby

She hasn’t eaten anything. I did not give her a shot this morning.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  9. thebigfuzz

Oh, ok. On your SS, you can write NS instead of the shot dose if and when you skip. That way users can see that insulin wasn’t given.

No worries though. No food = no shot is the general advice. If you aren’t sure if kitty will eat, in case you need to steer the numbers a bit with food, better to skip this morning. Hopefully, Ruby regains her appetite through the day.

If you don’t have to stay on schedule, you could continue to stall for another 20 mins before deciding to see if her numbers come up and see if tummy has settled and will eat to be eligible for an insulin shot this am.

I see you have given mirtazapine. Are there any other health considerations?

10. Katherine&Ruby

She was DKA, I've been checking her ketones everyday and it is always somewhere between negative and trace, which the vet knows about and does not seem to be overly concerned as long as Ruby is eating well. Otherwise there aren't any other issues.

11. thebigfuzz

12. Katherine&Ruby

So I came home from my run to ask my bf if she ate and he said he didn't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but he said she did visit the litter box. There was a lot of diarrhea in there. Fed her the Cerenia around 12:30 PM EST and around 1:30 PM she started eating! Had her whole head in the bowl chowing down. Tested her BG about 15 minutes after and it was 141. Will test again before PMS.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Nausea confirmed. I’m glad cerenia worked.

Critter Mom and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  14. Katherine&Ruby

Thank you! Is it common for a cat to react this way to an increase in dose?

15. tiffmaxee

In a word no. I don’t think the increase caused it. Pancreatitis is common and with the DKA at diagnosis that could cause nausea as well.

16. Katherine&Ruby

So after grazing all afternoon Ruby went up to 524 before her PM shot. Gave her the 2 U dose while she was eating her DM. Will check again in a few hours. A bit concerned about the high number but not surprising since she hasn't had insulin for 24 hours. No pee since the diarrhea this morning so I have no new ketone results.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  17. Katherine&Ruby

Critter Mom, JaxBenji and thebigfuzz like this.
  18. thebigfuzz

Run like the wind! :bighug:

Critter Mom and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow Katherine !

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  20. tiffmaxee

Good luck with the race. I haven’t been able to go to the gym since March and got to try out my friend’s Peloton the other day. It felt so good!

21. Katherine&Ruby

I swear I would not be able to survive the stress of these past 6 weeks after Ruby's diagnosis without moving my body 5 days a week. I would also be 50 lbs heavier!

Her numbers have gone down since her PM shot. Hope it continues through the night. Good night all!

22. JaxBenji

Have a great race!